1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Lumberjacking] Before you start freaking out - MAKING BOARDS HAS CHANGED!

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Basara, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

As of the mini-publish of 26 March 2009, the method of making boards out of logs has changed.

No longer does it involve the use of a carpenter tool.

It does, however, require EITHER the Lumberjack or Carpentry skill needed for the wood type to make the conversion.

Boards are now made by using your axe on the pile of logs (in your pack), theyby bypassing the wood type check that made lumberjacking on a carpenter such a pain.

Making boards does not require the axe to be in hand (the way chopping trees to get the logs, actually does).

As making normal boards was a 0-skill job before, it is likely that anyone should still be able to turn normal wood logs into bards.

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I just happened to have picked up some dumped logs with a char that has neither lumberjack nor carpentry. She is, however, a tinker. So with a hatchet she turned 50 logs into 50 boards in her pack. Targeting logs in a beetle's pack gives no message or result, targeting 50 logs in a secure gives the message 'this item must be in your back pack to be used' Same message when targeting logs on the ground.

[edit] These were plain logs.

3. Sharantyr

Sharantyr Guest

As Petra said....seems any character can now make boards from logs as long as they're in your backpack.

4. Facehugga

Facehugga Guest

And how about colored wood?

Is that true that now needed Carpentry AND Lumberjacking to make colored boards off from logs?

If yes there will be a big problem by any pure crafter template :(

5. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

No, you're reading it wrongly - not helped by the boards not being able to do the table the same way.
    It's carpentry OR lumberjack.

6. I just tried it with my lumberjack and he can make wood out of logs using the axe in his backpack. I tried it with ash and frostwood and it works well for those (no carpentry skill)

7. Facehugga

Facehugga Guest

Ah cool

so i dont need lumber on my crafter template

i was just scared of this idea heheh

8. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

*FREAKS OUT, ANYWAYS!!!!*

9. Metalstorm

Metalstorm Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

SWEEEEET!

This is how it should have been from the get go.

I can understand needing high carpentry or bowcraft to make stuff out of the rare woods but the idea of having to have high carpentry to simply turn the logs into boards was about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Thank you EA for changing this. Big improvement. HUGE.

10. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Adding this as a sticky, since people can't seem to notice there's a big "Update for BOARDS!" tag on the carpentry FAQ.....
    :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

11. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

Not Bowcrafting. I just verified this on TC1 with a character that had 100 Bowcraft, 0 Lumberjacking, and 0 Carpentry. I tried to use an axe on bloodwood logs and got a messeage "you don't know how to work this unusual wood". I didn't see any mention of Bowcraft in this thread, but now it is.

Stayin Alive,

BG