1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice

Blue Cocoa Seeds

Discussion in 'UO Botany and Nutrition' started by Mark Trail, Sep 26, 2008.

  1. Mark Trail

    Mark Trail Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Messages:
    163
    Likes Received:
    2
    So far we know that a cocoa tree left alone to polinate without human help makes black seeds (actually plain when you drop them from the plant). And a cocoa tree polinated by anything else makes blue seeds.

    Nobody knows what the blue seeds will grow into.
     
  2. Umfufu

    Umfufu Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Messages:
    298
    Likes Received:
    9
  3. feath

    feath Guest

    they said they'd used a blue bulrush as the father, with the coco being the mother. it's very likely thats why they got a blue bulrush as the child.

    It seems to me, whatever you use as the father on a coco, will produce the same plant as the father.
     
  4. Umfufu

    Umfufu Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Messages:
    298
    Likes Received:
    9
    True, on the other hand I have cross pollied at least 5 different colored plants on 30+ Cocoa Trees, and no matter what I used on them they all gave blue numbers.

    I have extracted 8 seeds random from these and planted them, but I am beginning to believe all will turn into a blue plant if not even all bulrushes.

    5 days to go for final results.
     
  5. Uthar Pendragon

    Uthar Pendragon Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2005
    Messages:
    498
    Likes Received:
    3
    Actually it was never stated what was used. In reality it was a bright orange poppies plant crossed with the cocoa tree that produced the blue bulrushes
     
  6. Lesa

    Lesa Guest

    Then there should be a chance of getting getting a blue cocoa tree somewhere in the crossing?
     
  7. Flora Green

    Flora Green Guest

    Too bad you can't cross a plant that has produced black or white with the cocoa tree and get a black or white plant from it.:D
     
  8. Stucky

    Stucky Guest

    I crossed a bunch of plants yesterday, not really paying attention to what since the first few i crossed were blue. Went back today to water... I have 2 plants with the Cocoa seeds written in a white color. I'll have a seed in a day or 2 and keep ya posted.



    *edit - I just checked the white vs the plain and it is definetly bright white. It'll just probably end up being the father plant but this batch was only 11 plants and I had 2 mutants.
     
  9. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,882
    Likes Received:
    5,165
    orange poppies + cocoa tree gives blue bulrushes. Mine matured today.
     
  10. Yalp

    Yalp Guest

    oh geez. I think we need a new chart! Hee.. I nominate Petra to start it!:lick:
     
  11. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,882
    Likes Received:
    5,165
    I don't think so. It would seem that whatever you pollinate a cocoa tree with a blue bulrush is what will result, from there you're back to the normal cross breeding chart.
     
  12. Lesa

    Lesa Guest


    Was your white seed a bullrush plant?
     
  13. Stucky

    Stucky Guest

    Don't know yet. I also got a plain colored seed off of the cocoa also. I thougt they were both white but I was mistaken. I'll know in a few days whats what.
     
  14. feath

    feath Guest

    That almost forms a pattern.
     
  15. Ni-

    Ni- Guest

    The only pattern I've been able to descern is that if you were to insert the cocoa tree into the old plant cross polination system it would have a number of 11.5. Meaning that is sits in between Rushes and Pompas Grass. Currently when cross polinating plants, you can basically add up the 2 parent's 'plant number' then divide by 2 to get the child plant number. Fern(9) & Champion (17) produce Lillies(13) (9+17=26, 26/2=13).

    Tribarrel Cactus(1) & Cocoa Tree(11.5) = Century Plant(6) (1+11.5=12.5, 12.5/2=6.25) 6.25 might be rounded down to 6 or that might be used to determine the pct of chance for either plant 6 or 7, 75% chance of 6 and 25% of 7. That is suggested because I believe if you cross pollinate 2 adjadent plants there is a 50/50 chance of being either?

    Fern(9) & Cocoa Tree(11.5) = Elephant Ear Plant(10) (9+11.5=20.5, 20.5/2=10.25) rounded down?

    Lillies(13) & Cocoa Tree(11.5) = Pompass Grass(12) (13+11.5=24.5, 24.5/2=12.25) rounded down?

    Bulrushes(14) & Cocoa Tree(11.5) = Lillies(13) (14+11.5=25.5, 25.5/2=12.75) rounded up?

    Champion(17) & Cocoa Tree(11.5) = Bulrushes(14) (17+11.5=28.5, 28.5/2=14.25) rounded down?
     
  16. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,457
    Likes Received:
    582
    Don't forget the pattern, also in that quoted data:

    cocoa plant x plain plant = plain child plant
    cocoa plant x colored plant (ANY color) = blue child plant
     
  17. Stucky

    Stucky Guest

    Sorry I can't help from crosses as I was under the impression they were all going to be blue. I did get White and blue bulrushes, several plain and blue elephant ears, blue fern and blue pampas grass.
     
  18. Spellbound

    Spellbound Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    May 12, 2008
    Messages:
    808
    Likes Received:
    86
    1. Tribarrel Cactus
    2. Barrel Cactus
    3. Prickly Pear Cactus
    4. Snake Plant
    5. Water Plant
    6. Century Plant
    7. Small Palm
    8. Ponytail Palm
    9. Fern
    10. Elephant Ear
    11. Rushes
    12. Pampas Grass
    13. Lilies
    14. Bulrushes
    15. Snowdrops
    16. Poppies
    17. Campion Flowers