1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

BOOKS! Please read!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Mairut, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mairut

Mairut Guest

There is something funny happening with the books in the provisioner's shops on Atlantic. I think.

I went to the provisioner's in Haven to pic up a book to leave a message for someone. I noticed that the last book on the provisioner's list had a title. I bought it. Then proceeded to buy my blank book.

I've checked: Brit, Buccs, Cove, Del, Minoc, Moon, Papua, Serp's Hold, Skara, Trinsic and Vesper. All the provisioners have books like these

The really funny thing is though....sometimes you won't get the title that the provisioner has listed. When you buy it, looking at it in your pack..it says "book" until you dbl click it....and like I said before, it isn't the title the book on the provisioner had.

If this has been like this for awhile, its the first time I've noticed.

2. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

NPCs have sold books like that since the beginning.. there's a list of about 20 titles or so they give out at random when you buy them. They're the same as the ones you can steal from bookshelves out in the world.

3. Mairut

Mairut Guest

Lol that figures.
    So where's this list?

4. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

That list does exist *somewhere* there are 20-29 or so books with 2 of the newer ones being Quest for the Virtues or of the Virtues and The Shattering.

There are supposidly 2 versions of "The Grammar of Orcish" but I only seen one. There are supposidly 2 versions of Classic Tales of Vesper...but only get the same one ...ditto for Classic Childrens tales heard there is a version 1 and 2 but we only get one of those all the time.

Npcs have sold these tales since the beginning. There are original ones actually written by Richard Garriott ie Lord British back in the day...like *The Virtues* then you have the other leaders tales...Ethical Hedonism and The Diversity of our land the latter written by (Lord Blackthorn) etc. Sherry the Mouse tale speaks of divisions between the thinking of the two lords over a chess match ....etc.

The books can be stolen from town bookshelves or bought via npcs. But it is a random crap shoot ..they display one title for EVERYTHING...every tale so if they show they are selling *ranking of the trades* you could end up with *taming dragons* or Wild Girl of the Forest etc.

The hue of the covers of all the *books* sold by the npcs is our only way to really know if we are getting a book WE can write upon...be *purple or that med. brown one...or if the books are showing whitish green bound books or the black bound tannish book those are pre written tales...over the years history of UO that were always there plus the newer ones.. like The Shattering etc.

I have often had every copy I could get or find open to all to read in any home set up like museum of history/library..and sometimes resold the npcs books for 10 - 20 gp more to other players whom do not like the crapshoot ie they can see the titles on my vendors and buy the ones they are missing instead of spending gp at the npc to get *random* duplicates triplicates of books they already have 10x over. lol

Titles I can remember top of me head are:

The Fight
    Primer on Arms and Weapons
    Ranking of the Trades
    *similar regarding guilds* there are 4 similar sorts regarding trades professions and guilds in game existing of these.

Taming of Dragons
    Deceit Dungeon of Horrors
    Book on Llamas
    book on Birds of Britannia
    Book on the flora fauna of Brit.
    Grammar of Orcish 1 copy all I ever get, supposidly 2 versions though
    Classic Tales of Vesper..supposidly 2 versions so I heard
    Classic Childrens Tales ..same get 1 all the time reportedly or rumored to have 2 versions
    The Burning of Trinsic with it's follow up tale ..Wild Girl of the Forest
    The Wandering Minstrel
    Alchemy or alchemist story forgot title atm

The main ones of history:

The Virtues written by Richard Garriott as Lord British
    The Diversity of our Land by Lord Blackthorn
    Ethical Hedonism an introduction
    Sherry the Mouse tales as she overhears listens in to both Lord British and Lord Blackthorn over their game of chess. I keep that book atop a wheel of cheese under my Sherry the Mouse statuette. :)

Samanthe's tale of killing a bear..oft displayed by my bear skin rugs lol

I think *how to loot and plunder in Kuldain dun whatever that dungeon is lol is amongst them...assorted player written ones that became *classics* yet oft found in the *purple book player written tale* versions before red leaves could seal em...thus can be lost easily the tales inside till we now if we find those seal em up.

ie 20 - 29 books all together and yep I left some out can not recall em all, atm. I do have a copy of all of em in my homes' *libraries* on both shards.

But the one that began one of my museums was Blackthorns Diversity of our Land...with Lord British's Virtues...near the Order Chaos Shield, back in the day when we had Order and Chaos over factions, which both our Lords each once stood for.

5. Mairut

Mairut Guest

Awesome! Tyvm.
    I never noticed that before, I wonder why? Talk about extremely unobservant 0_o Lol

6. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

hehe thx for the list, and I knew I had forgotten to list some of them...my rat man would not be happy that I forgot Tale of Three Tribes, a book which he stands upon, proud rat that he is, in my home lol. :)

7. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Nah just been playin since 98 or so and the original storylines stories have always interested me cuz they ARE what UO is/was once all about... I even forgot Dimensional etc heck...ie our ability to RECALL and gate sort of are tied to that book. :)

What kept me in UO originally was the struggles of *concepts* of the main two Lords ideas and beliefs..kinda miss having BOTH Lord British and Lord Blackthorn arguing upon their differences in the lands...but both are gone now. (sigh) Their Shields remain in my *museum* conflicts of interests and beliefs Chaos Order, the Virtues or doing without em...etc. Tales of what UO was all about our struggles between *light and dark* benefits and casualties of doing either to extremes.

8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I have found all of the books except these:

A Welcome, by Lord Blackthorn
    Journal, by Kabur
    Gargoyle Journal, translated by Velis
    Journal, by Fropoz
    Classic children tales: Volume one, by Guilhem
    Phonemes of the orcish tongue, by Yorick of Yew

Any ideas?

9. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I have a book related event coming up and would like a complete set. I have ransacked all of the major libraries...I kinda made a mess of "the new king's" place. *chuckles*

10. As far as I am aware, there is no Volume One of Classic Children's Tales.

As for the Journals and 'A Welcome'...I believe those are only obtainable in Doom?

EDIT: Scratch that - I meant Khaldun obviously ;-)

11. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I was going off the posted link. I don't think I have ever seen Volume One...
    Khaldun, huh?

12. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable

A welcome is only obtainably from Betrayers located in the fortress in Illishnear. I think Only 1 in 20 will have one in its loot. It comes in four colors red, yellow, green, and blue. Good luck killing those danged Betrayers, especially the paragons ones, they're nasty vicious and generally hard to kill.

OH! A Gargoyle's Tale is a lock down book in the Ish fortress. You might could copy it or something!

13. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Don't exodus betrayers drop "a welcome" books sometimes? Or am I misremembering...

The journals come off the four named people in khaldun I think. You'll know who they are, they spawn near the back entrance. Grimmoch Drummel etc.

14. Jhym

Jhym Guest

"Books and Reading are counter to the Will of the People. Casca, your Liege, does not approve of such activities and they shall be dealt with as soon as his pants have been dry-cleaned."

15. Xanthril of LA

Stratics Veteran

Are any of these books particularly rare or currently unavailable? I have a bag of books that I picked up from an idoc a year or so ago, but have never gone through them.

16. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Kelmo, I have the Garg. Journal by Velis on Ches. Maybe I can recopy it to my paper hardrive notebook :) and bring it friday to Siege.

I also have another book there I forgot to mention, have not seen that book on Siege..maybe it is EM written or so, 'The Ant Queen's War' which came out on Chesapeake and was written when the vile solens and ant queens torched up Moonglow back then.

17. Sharantyr

Sharantyr Guest

I think what the OP means is now the npc has the title of the book in the sales window thing instead of just 'a book' for the small brown books

kelmo

http://uo.stratics.com/secrets/bio/b_cursed.shtml

Tavara can drop 13 different books. Same title but different days.
    Lysander 6 books as above, same title, different days.
    Grimmoch 9 books

Both drop in 2 colours. The purple one and small red one.

[​IMG]

and don't forget these

[​IMG]

suppose they can be copied.

18. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

I will have to look now I know I have way more books on Chesapeake historic ones, that I have used and set out in my museum when I do the anniversary/history of the years of UO. Although some of these may have been written by players and or EMS etc. too.

There is one also simply titled "The Juka" many of these books fit in and were written with expansion packs or new land masses and races being found...ie includes "The Savages" when they were new to the lands including also one in my museum pack of books of history UO, titled Lord Blackthorn's Revenge if I remember right.

The Shattering relatively newer came with Enu the Crone on or after, or there abouts/blackrock elementals etc. I never got to actually READ that one...everytime I tried to open The Shattering to read it ...I crashed. :( So I never opened that book again. Meh.

19. Lady Aalia

Lady Aalia Atlantic's Finest
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

where do those Starfall books come from?

And where in the Ish Fortress is the Gargoyle book ?

20. Sharantyr

Sharantyr Guest

Avenhar
    The books can be found in Minoc.
    In the front large room there's 3 books...

Journal Volume One
    Hearts and Minds pt1
    Hearts and Minds pt2

in the smaller back room there's 3 on the table...

Journal of Starfall 1
    Journal of Starfall 2
    Journal of Starfall 3

In the bags on the table...

SE: Council Notes 1 to 8
    SE: Jordan's Journal 1 to 4
    ML Council Notes 1 to 6
    ML: Jordan's Journal 1 to 5

In the pouch in the second bag..

The Dreamspeaker Cult
    Keffer's Journal
    Dreamspeaker's Will
    On Redemption
    A Picture Book
    Removing The Taint
    Da Book Of Ugwong
    Lore Of The Whispering
    A Letter To 'Mistress'

[​IMG]

21. Saunders

Saunders Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Quest of the Virtues (volumes 1 and 2 both simply titled "Quest of the virtues" by Autenil: I have these as pale brown large books.
    Romantic selections I, II and III are small dark violet books.

Edit:
    I was inspired by this topic to complete my collection.
    An unscientific search failed to turn up any "Phonemes of the orcish tongue".

22. Xel The Wanderer

Xel The Wanderer Lore Keeper

This is from The Shattering, word for word:

Good read (I found the book in a container; it was BURIED beneath other stuff), and I have a ton of things that I have lying around but I forgot which container it's in. D'OH. The other day, I found an "Imprisoned Dog", crystal and all. I have since released it, and now I'm trying to have it polymorph into a succubus. Just because. On a side note, they're able to polymorph into the Dark Knight NPC that's in Old Haven. It's pretty wicked.

23. Seasseragh

Seasseragh Guest

I would think that is a mistake. There is "A Grammar of Orcish" by the same author.

24. Borric

Borric Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I am sorry to bump this back up, but I am having trouble copying books. I am trying to copy books from the shelves in the Brit library. Every one I target says "Can't copy empty book". The only book I was able to copy was a book on a table right at the entrance called "Charger of the Fallen". I would like to copy all the books into the red leather books from the quest in NH. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Borric

25. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Thank you Xel the wanderer. I got to read The Shattering finally.

I bet that *stranger* messing with the Gem of Immortality,

is named Draconi. :)

26. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Hopefully someone will have an answer, for you though. :)

27. Borric

Borric Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Its kinda funny, as I can copy a blank book to a red leather book(or any other book). But I cannot copy say "Ethical Hedonism" to any other book at all.

Thanks,
    Borric