1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

BUYER BEWARE ALERT!

Discussion in 'UO Rares Collector' started by Ryna, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Ryna

Ryna Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

It's that time again!

Please remember to keep your posts within the RoC, as we'll have to take action against your account if you overstep them (no matter how true it is, personal attacks are personal attacks).

Most importantly, though: Be careful of the items you're buying right now, as there is an influx of dupes. ASK FIRST, BUY LATER! If the seller is pushing you to buy before you check the legitimacy of the item, <u>Do Not Buy.</u>
    It just might save you from throwing away a bag o' checks.

If you see a post that shouldn't be there, please use your notify mod button instead of the reply button.
    The notify mod button looks like this:[​IMG]
    and it is located here(at the bottom of every post): [​IMG]

2. any chance of peeps posting here any items they believed to be being duped?

Just so we can keep some kind of track as to what to be on look out for?

3. Ryna

Ryna Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Yeah, g'head.

Just keep names out of it.

4. Well maybe i will start - i cant say for sure if these are being duped but there seem to be a hell of a lot of vine cord sandals about at the moment

5. Ultima83

Ultima83 Guest

I can honestly tell you that EVERY event item given out with any mods on it has been duped over the course of 4 years,

Any serverbirth items that were strictly Unique to a certain shard where a player has had in possession since its existence has possibly been void from been duped.. but thats it

This is no fallacy or imaginative statement, EVERY SINGLE ITEM almost existent in the rares world has been or was duped since 97, There is no list of how many or how often, but its 100% confirmed

6. im sure they all have been duped at sometime or another but theres no harm in trying to keep some sort of note as to what seems to be around in higher quantities than they should be - so we know what to be carefull of at the present moment

7. Guest

Guest Guest

if its been duped, thats not going to change regardless of when you assess it, and generally you wont realise its been duped until some time after its occured and a number of players have purchased it.

In addition most players rare collectors &amp; casual players are well aware of whats been duped. Some of the more obscure items may escape the casual players notice, but chances are they either wont be interested in buying them, or will not be able to afford them.

8. Tomas_Bryce

Tomas_Bryce Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

I can honestly tell you that EVERY event item given out with any mods on it has been duped over the course of 4 years,

Any serverbirth items that were strictly Unique to a certain shard where a player has had in possession since its existence has been duped..

This is no fallacy or imaginative statement, EVERY SINGLE ITEM almost existent in the rares world has been or was duped since 97, There is no list of how many or how often, but its 100% confirmed

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, no. There are quite a few unique or close to unique event items with mods. If they were indeed duped then someone would have a) seen one by now or b) heard of them for sale by now. As such, I vehemently disagree with your statement which banks on the notion that everything is duped so why should anyone care. It sounds like you are trying to make the things that have been indeed duped as not a big deal.

9. Ultima83

Ultima83 Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Eh, no. There are quite a few unique or close to unique event items with mods. If they were indeed duped then someone would have a) seen one by now or b) heard of them for sale by now. As such, I vehemently disagree with your statement which banks on the notion that everything is duped so why should anyone care. It sounds like you are trying to make the things that have been indeed duped as not a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not stating that things duped arent a big deal, but technically they arent a big deal.. Bottom line is EA has done nothing to erase these dupes, They have simply tried to limit the amount being sold by banning accounts. Never in the history of item duping has EA ever gone and ERASED particular items that were intended for the game.. IE. 2 story statues.. There is well over by thousands the amount of statues meant to be in the game, Yet not 1 has ever been deleted when locked down or displayed.

The only time they did do a wipe of certain items is an example of those colored robes, They were NEVER meant to be in the video game, Thus changed into monk clothing.. Not due to the fact of mass duping, but due to the fact they were never original intended to exist..

I personally get tired of hearing the debate of some ethical standard regarding PIXELS in a video game, Because its amazing to me that people can sit here justifying there fight against these items, Than go in post that your BUYING or SELLING THEM a week later on the boards.. It cracks me up..

I know I will personally continue selling any item EA does not Publicly state is illegal to own or states they will change in the near future.. No player is gonna determine how I enjoy my gameplay nor what I can own in the video game that is sold on Vendors or by players.. IF IT exists, I hold every right to buy and enjoy it, Simply at my own risk..

And the statement above was misinterpreted.. It meant to say Items owned by original Players that have had them since there introductions, Were VOID from being duped, Otherwise most PVP event items and Highly demanded rare items WERE in fact duped MULTIPLE hundreds of times by MULTIPLE people, The quicker you accept it the quicker your life will be less stressful

10. Guest

Guest Guest

/agree
    its one of those things. You can condoel it and you cant ban it its a factor in anything Y=! and shampoo how many aliasses do you need your mannerism is the same in every new account you make that makes it soo obvious its you again *grins*

11. Tomas_Bryce

Tomas_Bryce Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

And the statement above was misinterpreted.. It meant to say Items owned by original Players that have had them since there introductions, Were VOID from being duped, Otherwise most PVP event items and Highly demanded rare items WERE in fact duped MULTIPLE hundreds of times by MULTIPLE people, The quicker you accept it the quicker your life will be less stressful

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont really care about the rest of your sermon but I would like to underscore again that there is quite a long list of modded and highly desirable event rares that have never been duped.

12. Halister Marner

Halister Marner Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I agree with Thomas, the argument that "everything is duped, so oh well, I may as well buy it" just supports cheating.

As far as pixles and ethical values, I won't get into that, I will however say... duping hurts the game and is one of the reasons why UO is dropping in subscription numbers and active players. Morality aside, its destroying the game I've invested my time in and enjoy. Purchasing these items encourages these people to continue exploiting, and further damaging the game we all love to play.

If you don't believe in morality over pixles, believe in supporting the game that you play.

Money is only paper with monetary worth, and rares are only pixles with monetary worth. Both of them have the same worth in the end, and both are equally worthless without that value attached to them.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

i dont see how you can be that casual about stuff.

Yes alot of things got duped , but i for myself can say that if i suspect an item has been duped i wont buy it.
    It jepardizes my account to wich i am pretty attached and its not good for the game.

And to say just because EA dont police it, i dont have to doesnt make it any bettter.

You should ask one of those guys that got hit with the big ban hammer last year.. they didnt think they had to keep an eye on it eather , since they wasnt duping the stuff themselfs....boy where they wrong.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh, not everyone who is disgusted by duping and EAs inability to do anything about it goes ahead and gives in to buying dupes. If I know something has been duped I won't buy it. There are quite a few of us out there who feel this way. [​IMG]

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Too true Sarmsi, well summed up indeed!!!...

Alas there are collectors out there with red greed mist in there eyes that would pay well over the odds with thier devils gold just to own a 100% known duped item..........SAD SAD SAD

16. Hangs head - i dint mean to start a war lol -

All i was trying to achieve here was that if an item was being uncontrollably duped then maybe people could have posted here so that others could keep informed if ther was a particular item to be weary of at he present time - especialy if they were selling for millions and EA were planning on changing thm (like thy changed robes to the monks robes).

So now from reading all the posts i have a question in mind -

How do you tell the difference between a "true" item and a "duped" item - Surley they will be identical and if ther is any difference it is going to be a very slight one?

I ask as i am still new to rares and collecting them and i would like to make sure that i have as few dupes as poss.

I know some people say well they havent been deleted so you are fine - but i would rather save up the gold and know i have the "Original"!
    i hope thatmakes sense

17. Guest

Guest Guest

on some items it is pretty clear they been duped.

there are all those glacial spellbooks/daggers/pickaxes without any properties and or special name ...seems that they lost it during the "duping " process.

Also by keeping your eyes and ears open [​IMG] i refuse to buy barbed runic kits of certain vendors that seem to have an endless supply or tokens at prices less then they are sold for by EA.

Other then that i cant do much more ...but usually if you got by the famous "if its too good to be true it usually is fishy" it should be ok.

Ofc you cant vouche for everything, but you can try.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

The fact that there was only 1 true pair of vinecord sandals and know there qre 100 ..kinda points the finger to a 99-100% fact thay are def duped!!!! And if u are buying vinecords and u can afford vinecords, then u know damn well 99/100% that they are def. a duped pair of vinecords!!

Its sad tale when people will pay for stuff with such a high price tag when they full know 99/100% that they are duped.......SAD SAD

19. Guest

Guest Guest

THP we know you dont like the dupes, but you need to take the blinders off, b/c you have horrible tunnel vision. I'm not supporting duping, but people will obviously pay large sums of money for an item that has been duped if its still available in limited quantities and gives them some sort of prestige or advantage in game play, especially in pvp.

20. Andrasta

Andrasta Goodman's Rune Library
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Blue Crane Society

Kray2s,

The only thing you can really do is try to educate yourself as much as possible. I play on the Atlantic shard which is supposedly the most populated shard. Prices for items are highly inflated because of the number of people (I'm assuming here) but there are still a very good number of people buying and selling here.

I usually lurk in this forum to watch what is being sold for how much. Just for some education for myself, this weekend I spent my time touring other shards. Yesterday I toured 4 shards and today I have done 3. I picked a few shards that I know are very quiet and a few that I know are still very active. I checked Zento, Luna and one or two large areas that I know there are vast quantities of housing. The first 4 shards I did quite abit more travelling. (All these spots are full on Atlantic).

On more than half of the shards I checked, I could place keeps or 18 x 18's. I could place 1 Luna house and 3 or 4 Zento houses. On one or two I think I could place castles. On more than half of the shards I checked, there are none or very few smaller houses placed in most areas, only bigger houses like 18 x 18's, keeps and castles.

Since I have no developed characters on any of these shards, I created new chars with 50 magery and turned on the "Warn of Reagents on the ground" feature of UO Assist.

What started as a way to recall to different areas to look at the general population of each shard soon turned in to what I now call the Pumice Meter. "Pumice Northeast" "Brimstone Southwest" Just about every time the meter went off, I could walk into the house in that direction and find a "Rare" collection.

Surprisingly or perhaps not so surprisingly, 95% of the houses were filled with water buckets, open books, diamonds, sashes, event robes, event sashes, trays, pitchers, ceramic mugs etc.

I saw many more two story statues, ploughs, &amp; ruined paintings than I've ever thought possible. On the shard that was the least populated where I could place just about anything I wanted, there were 8 or 9 of these houses.

So my advice to you if you are intent on collecting rares is do some touring of your own. You'll soon see what is rare and is not rare. It used to be that having a house full of these "rares" did mean prestige but in most cases in the years past, having a community location and events for your shard or providing a service for people will bring you much more gratification in that regard and keep your account safe.

On your tour, you'll also be able to spot the vendors that sell tokens &amp; bods kits by the 100's because they are on almost every shard. Stay far away from those. Do not put a vendor in a house that contains one. A warning was posted to the Atlantic shard forum recently about a certain token vendor selling tokens bought with stolen credit cards. Those vendors are in Luna on almost every shard. According to the warning, they did wear green and blue robes but most have been changed to dragon armor now since the warning was posted.

What was very evident to me on my tour was:

1. A very great many people are leaving or have left uo. The sheer number of falling houses and empty spots on these shards is alarming.

2. There are a great many more "rares" than there should be. While I am sure there are still a few legitimate items left, it is painfully clear that most are not rare. This pains me because most of the lower end ones are the ones that I have collected over the course of 10 years to make my public building "special" too. At one time I aspired to be added to the Museum sticky thread here but now I see there is no point to it.

3. Sadly real rare collecting has been pretty much wiped out by Character Transfers in more ways than one. Shard specific rares should never have been allowed to leave the shards they were intended to provide a history for and of course x-sharding provided the means to dupe. What you see now is mostly profiteers only concerned with how much they can make, uo good or rl$. Very few left are concerned with community or shard history.

Sarsmi said it best in a post that was unfortunately deleted by a mod. The jist of which is you want to deal with a trader/collector/dealer that will be honest about which ones have been duped and are concerned about not passing on these items knowingly to you.

Make your buying decisions as informed as you possibly can now and in the future as it is much more than the present moment that you have to be careful in the world of rares. EA at any time can make any item worthless by changing it to a common item or illegal to own and ban all your accounts for selling or possessing it/them.

Caveat Emptor....

21. Fantaapple

Fantaapple Guest

Thats why its Ea Job to rid all the duped items, not the people.

22. Treyster18

Treyster18 Visitor

Figured this might need to be bumped....