1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Artists, Historians & Die Hard UO Fans...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by DVDA, Aug 29, 2009.

1. DVDA

DVDA Guest

Ok as most of us know, the original paintings you could fish up were taken from real life art works throughout history....

The Large Painting (Also its Variation Ruined Painting in Doom) is "Madonna with the Long Neck" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_with_the_Long_Neck)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

and the painting used for Ricardo is "Barthel Bruyn the Elder, Vanitas" (http://www.bbk.ac.uk/english/skc/flysight/)

[​IMG]

(UO Picture of this painting is featured in screenshot below to the right of Armoire in the Bedroom)

But what about the other 3? Anyone know what painting the 3 to the right of my character (left of screen) are of?

[​IMG]

2. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Well the paintings to the right of your character...1 and 3 appear to be the same, only different color dress.

3. DVDA

DVDA Guest

Indeed they do, but I cant seem to figure out what painting they are...searching around the 1500s cause that seems to be UO's theme

4. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I don't remember the name of the painting (I only remember seeing it once), but the one of the yellowish lady i'm pretty sure is an Elizabethan one.

Didn't stratics have some of them listed at some point? Or was it another little fansite out there.. I can't remember.

5. DVDA

DVDA Guest

Stratics doesnt even have pictures of these painting (from UO) I had to take screen shot myself or search the web...the fishing guide doesnt even show/list paintings as a reward at all

6. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Wish I remembered where I saw it, then.

7. DVDA

DVDA Guest

Anyone else find it weird that GMs used a painting of a Skull, with it's jaw removed and a candle as a wanted poster for Ricardo?

Ricardo must be one scary mother if he is a skull without a jaw and is still alive!

8. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

9. DVDA

DVDA Guest

10. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Its not the place I remember seeing it before though.. that one had descriptions of where most were from.. don't think that person ever figured out what the small ones were either though.

11. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The painting to the west of you always reminded me of the lady from the Leighton knight paintings. I don't think it is actually based on those, but....

Oh nice Crysta! Thanks for that.

12. DVDA

DVDA Guest

As Crysta has pointed out this painting [​IMG]

is this painting [​IMG]

we just dont know the name nor the artist and the one in my screen shot is just the reverse

13. Coppelia

Coppelia Guest

Domenico Ghirlandaio (1449-1494)

14. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The picture is "Portrait of Giovanna Tornabuoni", sadly the UO name length rules mean you can't create a character with that name and claim the pictures are of 'you' ;)

15. Saunders

Saunders Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

[​IMG][​IMG]
    William Wissing, Mary Stuart.
    [​IMG]
    William Wissing, Queen Anne

16. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Neither of those look quite right.

17. DVDA

DVDA Guest

I think Saunders may be right (atleast on the top picture). You can see the red robe on the bottom right of the UO picture and her left hand is in the same place for both paintings. The exposed neck and clevage area also matches

P.S. Awesome job Coppelia for figuring out the artist for the other painting

18. Coppelia

Coppelia Guest

Well looking at the UO painting I was thinking about Botticelli, but the real finding is from Crysta.

About Mary Stuart, it's not her portrait that we have in UO. The pose is very classical, but you'll notice in the UO painting dark green in the dress and not white sleeves and the right hand in the bottom-left corner.

19. DVDA

DVDA Guest

Hmmm so the search continues to try and figure out who painted the last potrait.

20. kittykat

kittykat Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

If the red dressed lady matches the Queen Anne portrait, could the green dressed lady be the reverse of that (much as the Domenico Ghirlandaio is reversed in a blue dress in your screenshot)?

21. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Nice, i never even thought to think these were based after real paintings.

22. christy1221

christy1221 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I had forgot about it. I remember a thread about it a long time ago. I think it's cool that they are based on real ones. :thumbsup:

23. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Sometimes I think I'm smart, and relatively well educated. Then someone really smart comes along and I am faced with the sad reality...

And once again, this just shows how much love went into creating UO. Of course maybe it was just easier to copy a pic out of an art book... :)

24. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Eh, it's just trivia really.

25. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

But still, smart trivia. We're not talking who knows the most one liners from bad 80's sitcoms here. ;)

26. Saunders

Saunders Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I'm not entirely sure about these particular paintings either. The artist was quite prolific and there are many variations on the theme of the pose with very similar compositions. It might help fix the period though.

27. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

[​IMG]

Corrected perspective and doubled in size.. that might help in getting the right one. It's certainly similar to both, but definitely isn't either.

28. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

close, but still not quite right

[​IMG]

29. kitiara-atlantic

kitiara-atlantic Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Thanks for sharing! This is fascinating - I had no idea the paintings were based on real works. :)

30. Merriweather

Merriweather Guest

The one closest to your character is "Giovanna degli Albizzi Tornabuoni" painted by Domenico Ghirlandaio between 1488 and 1490, probably in Florence.

31. Merriweather

Merriweather Guest

I am guessing that the "red, green, blue, purple dress" lady is from "Portrait of a Florentine Noblewoman" artist unknown, painted about 1540 and now in the San Diego Museum. 2floren14.jpg

32. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

They chose "artist unknown" so they wouldn't have to pay anyone royalties... :D

33. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Altho close, I don't think that's it either.

When looking at the other portraits, they are very much right on the money - why would this one (or 2) be off? They must match for it to be so.

The thing about the "twin" portraits (as I call them) is they are mirror images of the same model, just different colored dresses. I've even started looking into the Ultima games themselves for some hints on it.

Other possibilities?

[​IMG]
    Portrait of Mary Hill by Anthony Van Dyck, 1638
    wrong color dress & hair, no white chemise, but very similar pose even if the UO version is cropped some (do note the left arm is covered by "something" probably shawl or wrap)

34. Merriweather

Merriweather Guest

Portrait of Mary Hill by Anthony Van Dyck, 1638
    wrong color dress & hair, no white chemise, but very similar pose even if the UO version is cropped some (do note the left arm is covered by "something" probably shawl or wrap)

The neckline is wrong and the right arm and wrist are too long.

35. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Looks to me like it may be Joan of Aragon by Da Vinci. It's hard to tell though. My eyes aren't that good with the small portraits.

36. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

[​IMG]
    Joan of Aragon by Raphael Giclee (1483-1520), on display @ Musée du Louvre

damned close - but hand in wrong position...