1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Camping Skill

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Llwyd, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Llwyd

Llwyd Guest

Is the camping skill still useful? Does anyone really utilize it today on any of their characters?

It may sound like e a dumb question, but as a soon-to-be-returning player, the answer is relevant to my plans for character creation.

Thanks!

2. Splup

Splup Guest

This is a joke right?

I mean has that skill actually been useful ever since recall was introduced to this game?

So the answer is no, it is not useful. Maybe for some roleplaying stuff but otherwise waste of skillpoints.

3. Kellgory

Kellgory Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I've only seen one person that had that skill in my 4.5 years of playing UO, and that was because it was an old char on Atlantic from back in the day when there wasn't any housing spots and she never changed the template. With all the new skills that you could put on a char these days, I don't see using camping as one of those to be and a efficient use of skill points unless it's for RP purposes.

4. Llwyd

Llwyd Guest

No, it wasn't a joke. It was an honest question.

Thank you both for your responses.

5. Potgut

Potgut Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

maybe its still useful in those two hard shards I forget what they are named, but where I dont think people can recall and stuff like that but I doubt ppl use it there anyway.

6. Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Barter Town

I thought about putting it on some throw away characters in the past but... Hiding does everything Camping does, but more. (Just about.)

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I don't use it anymore. But it's still good if you can't recall to an inn/house to logout.

For tamers, camping also removes the mob you freshly tamed from the sub server and allows it to respawn. But really only useful if you want to stay in the same dungeon and can't get back to the dungeon easily. Eg taming mares in ish.

Edit: Oh, 1 more thing to add, in case you missed the ML expansion where elves were introduced, humans now have an ability called jack-of-all-trades. This gives human characters an invisible 20 points in each skill if you have less than 20 in that skill. Meaning, if you use a human character, even if you leave camping at 0, the game will still take it that you have 20 points in camping.

8. CatLord

CatLord Guest

Can you camp with a bunch of powerscrolls on you? Outside the altar, exorcise area?

9. Myna

Myna Guest

its a usefull skill in pvp, when you see that you will lose a fight camp quickly and log out

forensic eval is a good combination to that skill in pvp, because when you canot manage to camp fast enough and you die, then you can find out who killed you

hope this helps

10. Quenchant

Quenchant Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend 4H

Few years ago, I was reading profiles at WBB. I saw a guild that required GM camping. I think the other skills they required were GM cooking and GM begging. I think this happened on Sonoma but I can't be sure. The guild was GSoA.

- Girl Scouts of America

Yes, it really happened and gave me a good chuckle for the day.

Q

11. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Had a roleplayer I knew one time that carried camping...
    He owned no house, said that wherever he laid his head was home. Interesting concept, in this day of multiple houses and accounts =)
    Lived off the land, a wanderer.

12. Pawain

Pawain Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Carry around a frying pan and you can make a whole bunch of pumpkin pies!

13. five oclock

five oclock Guest

ya know..been away from the True role playing of the game for awhile...This might be something fun to try....

Probally go mad with no one around but still...fun to give it a try...

14. Llwyd

Llwyd Guest

Sounds like fun, indeed... especially for an oldster like me, who takes frequent naps. :)