1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone help clear up the actual penalties on pets during the taming process

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by Nails, May 31, 2011.

1. Nails

Nails Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Okay...

I have heard yes and no to all of the following items below in regards to this question:

Are there negative effects on the animal you tame if you...

disco it?
    peace it?
    para it?
    beat it up?

Does anyone actually know how it works for sure in the four areas above? Has EA ever posted changes or actual notes on these areas?

2. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Disco - no negative effects
    Peace - no negative effects
    Beat it up - no negative effects
    Curse it - no effects (negative or otherwise) - this was not always the case.
    Paralyze it - reduces post-tame stats. If post tame stats can get to over 100 points, it lowers the cap too.

So far as I know, the only official information about the results of taming actions are about curse-taming. I can't find anything about the rest.

edit - In pub 16 the paralyze taming effect was put into place.

3. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

I concur. The paralyze reduction is -4% in skills. A pet can always be trained up to GM skill. So for pets that cannot go above GM skill, this just adds time to train them.

Stayin Alive,

BG

4. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I know this is an old thread and thread necromancy is generally frowned upon. However, while researching a completely different subject, I came across an old Five on Friday Q&A (from March 7, 2008) that discussed this issue and thought it was worth providing a link in case anyone wants to read something "official": UO Herald archive! - Ultima Online Stratics ▶ TGN.TV - Get more views!. (It's the third Q&A.)

5. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

Honestly I have used this to my advantage in the past! I go out and lore Cu's till I find one with low wrestling and para tame it to drop its skills to around 50-55 range. I then use this Cu to train single slot pets that have low starting skills. The pet needs to be within ~30 points so with a 55 skill cu you can train pets with 35 skill. The other option is to kill a bonded cu over and over till it has the proper skill level but I found this easier for me.