1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can I put this in a book ingame?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lord Gareth, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

2. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

No linking to websites.

3. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

4. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Considering JC once got a temporary ban for linking to UOGuide in his profile, I would imagine that anything that even resembles a URL will get you punished.

...Unless you're on a trial account that spam drops tens of thousands of books on every shard linking to RMT sites. Then you're good.

5. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

Cog, come back to IRC. Quint misses you.

6. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

You know... sad thing is .... people wonder why no one comes to their events, tons of folk have never even HEARD of stratics let alone been here... and people are constantly asking stupid questions that could easily be answered if they read forums....

And tons of folk are forever complaining of boredom.... wonder why???

Could it be because they have no CLUE what things might be happening on their shard???

I think they need to come up with some answers that will help people "get the word out"....

I know why that rule is in place... it would be because of all the gold sellers and whatnot... but I think that GM's need to use some smarts when it comes to banning folk over websites... and I think it's very stupid that you can't help folk in the game without getting into trouble while at the same time I see 100's of books littering every portal and town in game from dealer sites and they never stop... but someone tries to help someone and.... bing they are banned.

Someone needs to get their act together.

7. AdamD

AdamD Guest

You're allowed to link to websites which are a part of the UO Fansite program

So Stratics is allowed.

8. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I've directed people to Stratics before ingame many times and not been banned, People happily swear in chat and not get banned, So if someone is asking for help in chat I'll tend to direct them to UOGuide or Stratics.

Of course, No one polices the chat.. rolleyes:

9. It is ***NOT*** illegal to put a website in a book in UO. If it was 99% of the book-dropping litterbugs would be BANNED! LLTS comes to mind as does umpteen of the UO gold selling sites who shall remain nameless.

10. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

The book dropping litterbugs do get banned (or at least used to get banned). The problem is (or at least used to be as far as I know) that they're done by trial accounts carefully created to avoid being linked back to their real accounts... so banning those accounts doesn't stop anything.
    Also... people tend to trash the books instead of paging a GM about them, so GMs never see the books, so the accounts take a while to get banned.

11. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Not all GMs are created equal, and some do not know their own rules - that is rare however.

12. LadyKeroOfAtl

LadyKeroOfAtl UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
    Stratics Veteran

It technically isn't legal, as far as I know.. But I doubt you'd get banned for it.

If llts can drop books and have books with their web address locked down all over the place, I'm pretty sure you posting stratics addresses won't get you in any trouble.

I'd like to think that the gms might check said links before banning .. Then again... *insert random gm not knowing the game/rules bashing here*