1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone explain dry looting to me?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by N49ATV, Jun 24, 2009.

1. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Just wondering if someone can explain the point of dry looting to me?

I can understand taking things of value or use to you, but to take things like shovels, or tools etc, like scissors with only a few uses left? or a few plain gems? I really dont get it.

Anyone?

2. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

I generally don't dry loot, but I have. I sometimes do it to **** off the asshats. lol Known cheaters will always get dry looted.

3. Elfstone

Elfstone Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

When I started playing KOC used to dry loot you then cut up all your armor and dump everything on the ground 5 screens away.

I hate dry looters & dry looting proiod. I don't do it ever , never...

4. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I just dont understand it. I can see taking regs, aids, pots, and even armor. Since you could cut the armor or smelt the armor, but to take everything for the sake of doing it I just dont see them mentality behind it. So those who do, can ya explain it?

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I almost never look at the loot. Sometimes I do... I usually take nothing. Sometimes I do. But dry loot? Never.

6. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Im gonna test the theory. Since I keep getting PKed farming. Im not gonna carry 120 items of Orc loot. Let see what happens lol

7. Black magick

Black magick Guest

While I don't usually take much, if I loot at all. I believe the point of it is to add insult to injury. Basically, you lost so nothing for you.

8. Just to be villanous, I suppose. I've had it happen to me many times.

Keep karma in the back of your mind, cause it is a biaotch!

9. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Oh i dont want this to be mistaken for a cry thread, that isnt what this is. If you wanna take my scissors, or gems, whatever they are not worth anything, and I can replace no prob. And the stuff I dont want looted, i know I was risking it anyway by having it. And thats seige. I just wanna hear from them what the point of it is.

10. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

who was it/or what guild tag? just wondering if it was sumbody i know.....ive been known to take various tools but all that i use so its at least justified

11. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

It's sad, that's what it is. Your book or your candle or your 12 raw fish steaks aren't valuable. It is one thing if the items are nice and worth looting.. a different stroke if the offender will RP and make a speech while looting decent items worth taking.. quite another if all your belongings are looted (and trashed as such worthless items will be)

12. Blindside

Blindside Guest

so you dont think people use scissors? or shovels? :coco:

13. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Oh sure they can use them. And im not gonna point fingers but I have been dry looted several times since i went back on tamer. But a shovel with like 30 uses, or scissors with 10 uses etc. Its pointless. For the effort to take them, and the use they get, no point. Like a sweeney said fishsteaks, or an apple etc. Of no use to anyone. And if they need it that bad, i doubt they would be running around PKing, since they would have no gear at all to go kill anyone with if they need that apple to put on thier vendor to make money.

14. Blindside

Blindside Guest

well if you play a tamer you will be dry looted by most lots of hostility

15. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

and if i get any complaining while i murder someone thats when ill take it all (gives them sumthing worth complaining about) even if it is 32k fish steaks,
    but i do know u have a crappy connection, u should put ur guild tag up that says how laggy u are, it probaly wont do much but it might sumtimes help, i wouldnt kill ya, if i start to kill ya make sure u yell out laggy mc laggerson or sumthing and ill be like oh im srry and stuff

16. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

they always take my orc masks......

17. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

It's one thing to dry loot a jerk.. quite another to dry loot someone who is an obvious newbie (who carries a candle?).

I've drylooted jerks or even neutral people.. but I won't dry loot people I respect.

Best advice I can give is to take your reputation seriously. Your respect is shown by the way you react to others.

Some people show no respect.. these are usually the people that prey on newbies.

18. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

My char isnt a newbie. However i stoned PvP mage because I have been working out of town in camp. Where i have a ping of anywhere from 2000 to 10000, i got a higher ping somedays then Krystal has kills. So I cant do anything with that lag except lvl6 tmaps. Lvl5 the lag gets me cause the LL wither me, and swap targerts. At least lvl6 i can do. So when I got home this week I have been doing ToT. Which is great on tamer. And I dont use pets in PvP period.

All that aside. I dont care if Im laggy and u kill me. Thats fine. Im on seige, not the trammel faucet of Baja. So you kill me, cool. Thats fine. Whenever I kill someone, unless its a revenge kill, i always leave gate regs on thier body. So they can get home. I wont take useless armor. Like 10% LRC pieces. Sure ill take a 20% LRC piece. Or non med LRC etc. No point. Just wondering why some do it

And im getting some answers

So here is what I got so far:

If ur an ******* you get looted
    If its a revenge kill, for a guildy or yourself, you get looted.

But Mo hits it on the head. Taking his Orc mask.....really is that needed?

19. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

PS: One time while drunk I decided to test this. I went out of Luna with 2 death robes and a candle (i bought) in my pack. I did this twice in a row.

I won't speak the results or who dry looted this worthless equipment twice in a row.. but you will definitely get to know people's attitudes this way.

20. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

i dont think ive ever seen a red not get drylooted, same thing with me ever since i turned red i get drylooted everytime i get killd, i think ppl just automaticly think "hey its a red kil it and take its stuff cause u kow thats what there gonna do to us" but u know what goes around comes around, so my advice to u sir is disreguard the most of the things i said and take it all give nothing back,

21. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

The best attitude is "give a count if they are blue", "do not if they are red."

22. Who are you in game? Id like to talk to you.

23. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I have no hate for reds, or thieves. Have dry looted once, on a revenge kill. Or if I dry loot to return gear if other looters are around, who go after unearned gear.

24. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

i would dry loot all the useless items off of u sweeny, any and everyday, just because u irritate me, part of the reason i came to seige and became a pk cause i can kill and **** on ppls dead corpses the corpses of ppl that suck, ppl i despise, but dont get all high and mighty:talktothehand: im not arching u in anyway shape or form, i have yet to find the perfect arch enemy to arch.....would like to arch kelmo but he is always too busy looking for reasons to give me infraction points on here, thought about arching miss maude but she is usally to nice and helpfull, it was just conveinent that she is practicly my next door nieghbor, now there is gil but thats hardly an arch enemy its my guild leaders sworn enemys and i just follow cause he is kick ass, really have nothing personal aginst them, just doing henchman duties helping out the boss carry out various assination missons, u know he is like a real seige super hero, to reds...more like a villan to u blues, whoops there i go rambleing again.. shouldnt get so baked while i post on this thing

25. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Well buddy since you're too ashamed to give your character's name.. I'll give you some advice. Show up to the 'Werewolf' or 'Kelmo's Pub' socials.. Kelmo is usually there, or his alts.

I can't fathom what you have against me but I take it as a mark of pride. And good luck in your efforts at "all talk and no walk."

26. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

ugh there u go thats what im talking about, we've met before there is no need for hello and hi, u know maby in time i could learn to tolerate u but i really dont see that happening very soon

27. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

You're welcome.. and please start a new thread about me instead of trolling ones that do not concern myself. You only pollute the board.

28. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

i think i could actully get along with kelmo ingame.....so i dont think he would be a good arch, u know, thats why i dont try to get to know most ppl in game cause i have a soft heart, and that just means one less person to feed upon, and siege being a low pop, i want to keep my friend count as low as possible

29. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

thats y they call me stinky pants :D

and also ur not worth a thread just peices of sumone elses

30. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

So you admit you only settle arguments on the boards? haha. Try to keep the boards separate from your personal issues. Much luck to your "talk." Maybe one day you'll affect someone.

31. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

I'm done with this OT rant.. take it to PM's or give up.. this doesn't belong in the thread.

32. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

and my apploligies how ever u spell that, to the guy that started this thread for i did not mean to steal ur thunder like i said i get baked and just start rambelling on and on, well u understand

33. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

34. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Bo thinks when you die what you have in your pack is no longer yours, it is Bo's. So what do you care what Bo does with Bo's stuff???

As far as people arch enemy, Bo loves being the Bad Boy, just ask your wife....

35. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

does bo have an arch enemy ingame? or is it just anybody and everybody?

36. Blindside

Blindside Guest

perfectly said BO BO :danceb:

37. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

One person as Bo's enemy???? hahhhaha Maybe entire guilds as Bo's enemy, it wouldnt be much fun for that one person. Most people get mad when they die all the time, and that is what happens if you fight The Bo!
    Bo doesnt need an event where people are naked for Bo to get kills. Bo is out there killing peoples and more than just peoples with a "new" tag on.

38. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Bo helps people in their Pk evasion skills.. along with many other Pkers, this is the most valuable skill to learn on Siege. Even if you fail, remember how you reacted and learn from it.

Bo is a teacher.

39. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

As a newbie, not yet met NEW, crafter I was pk'd in Umbra, the bit where the guards won't come. My clothes, tools and everything else I had on me, absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever, was dumped in the body of my just bought pack llama and I was rezkilled 3x between the healer's and my body before I got the message that I wasn't going to be allowed to try to get my stuff back. Being Siege, I cussed a bit under my breath, didn't say a word to the folk in game, and then just got on with replacing my stuff, but I'll never understand the mentality that judges that kind of behaviour to be fun or necessary.

40. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

This is a bit harsh even for Bo. For the most part Bo will only attack people of interest to Bo. Bo tries to never attack a NEW or someone that Bo thinks is new. Bo thinks some people only care about their kill counts...

41. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Ok Bo, so I agree if you kill me or anyone that thier items are yours now, that you earned the right to take them. But does that in your mind mean you must take them, no matter what they are?

42. LittleSkyWalker

LittleSkyWalker Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

well.. i have a lag connection at siege.. to my experience.. sometime 'red' may not be the bad boy/girl... you cant determine their actions by color.. I dont care they dry loot or not.. all of them will not deserve murder count from me.. if want to fight.. come to my home shard.. Mugen :)

By the way, my primary character is Phoenix II..

43. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Have you ever looted a corpse before? Their stuff is everywhere on the corpse. Now add in the tots, hmm Bo needs to move everything to make sure no tots are hidden, hmm now lets factor in that most people use self resses, or get ressed by blue healer and stealth back to their corpse. Now you res, claim your corpse and if Bo manages to kill you again Bo has to go thru all that crap again, becuase Bo was being nice guy and not lootin everything. You can res and do this over and over again. Reds however have no such luxury. Ahh it is easier to just pick it up and put it in Bo's pack, this way insuring Bo gets the good loot which is usually at the bottom of the pile.

44. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

or son...Bo knows greek!

45. enigma eb2

enigma eb2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I know that I am the person in question I Pked Jesus and he is in GIL. The rules for GIL are very well stated. Give me a count and you keep you gear. No count was given so no loot will be left. This is not new and nothing has changed. But now I just loot everyone and I sort thru MY new gear later after I have killed everyone in Tokuno Islands. I do not have time to sit there and pick what I want I have to move to the next kill to fast. I dry loot and sort later.

46. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

this

and

sums up pretty much how I approach a situation. Sometimes my pack is so damn full of loots, I have to replace crappier loot that I've aquired with the better loot on teh corpse.

47. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I did in fact count you. I count everyone. And your not the only one who is doing it. However I now have a different tactic. So Feel free to come and kill me, get 0 from me, and spend the time sorting crap :p

48. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Bo knows what you are doing and it is an exploit!!!

49. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I am making bo and others sift through crap to find anything useful. Like the 10 of each reg i carry. Alas it seems you found them sire.

*edit*

And calling exploits....

There are game mechanics involved in many thing. Its funny how most of you will call things, not understanding game mechanics when your accused of doing anything from bola teleports, to ways of killing people etc etc.

And to me exploits are the use of bugs in the game, not game design features. Is using a faction recall rune during battle an exploit, as it was not meant to be used that way but is?

How about 8x8?
    How about using RoT Timers to time your gains and using rot as an accellertated GGS system?

All part of the design my friend.

50. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

What was it meant to be used for?