1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can the devs please at least consider a KR art toggle in the Enhanced Client?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Ender, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

For those of us that liked the higher res stuff that was already completed and implemented, surely it can't be that difficult.

Lord Frodo and HoneythornGump like this.
  2. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Had things gone logically, KR/EC should have had both sets of artwork in there with the default being CC artwork and the option to run higher resolution KR artwork. KR near the end of its tenure DID have the option for CC artwork which made it much like the EC now in terms of visuals, but it was the option, not the default. Swapping the default might have helped at least some.

Secondly, I'm not sure the KR artwork is even available anymore in the client and placing it back in would probably be difficult (unfortunately as the game lost some amazing plant artwork as well as the more subdued "sandstone" shown in the image posted.

It's a drum I've tried to beat since KR was retired in favor of the EC, so the likelihood of it happening is slim to none (favoring "none").

I would LOVE to see KR building tiles and plant artwork back as well as higher resolution for EVERYTHING in the EC, but it doesn't look like either will be occurring.

It's a shame really. They should have taken Path of Exile's lead in updating the artwork incrementally instead of trying to redo everything and release it all at once only to set it aside for YET MORE NEW ARTWORK.

Lord Frodo and Odin of LS like this.
  3. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

The KR art is still in the files, you can find it if you root around using the UOReader program.

4. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Somebody remind me but wasn't the KR client part of the DaoC client. I know they had Mythic devs from Daoc trying to work it into UO.

Funny how the negatives from posters years back when it was first put in no longer play the game. I really thought it was a great improvement in UO art.

5. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

A few found it to their liking. Personally I found it hideous.

Uvtha and Parnoc like this.
  6. hirikawa

hirikawa Journeyman

They no longer play the game because there are no updates! It's not possible for game to survive without drastic changes and updates like KR graphics. I love the lighting work on those pics.

7. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

While some of the art in KR was "nice".... it took some getting used to and to me lots of things like trees and grass blended together making it EXTREMELY difficult to see where you were going... It hurt my eyes because the colors were muted and pale and lines seemed more... faded. What drove me totally insane was that chest had the look of an old nag horse with a BAD swayback... so if you decorated your house with rows of stacked chests it looked HORRIBLE. I also recall that the wood that I use at my Theatre that currently in the 2d and EC looks rather like a smooth polished mahogany looked more like something that you pulled from an old dilapidated barn. I VERY much disliked that. I could swear that I took screenshots of it for comparison and complained about it... But for the life of me I can't find them.

Anyway it matters not the likely-hood that they would bring back that art is extremely slim.

What I've always wished is that they could hire the art team that does the Sims... to completely redo the art in UO as well as update the engine... A grand overhaul. Wouldn't that be something for the 20th Anniversary. ..... Though my guess is it would take them till the 25th anniversary.... but it would be WELL worth it. And while they are at it they could put in the character customizational features of the Sims into UO... Could you imagine being able to choose your hair color, eye color the size of your nose ..... the distance your eyes are from each other and all that and for Gargoyles imagine being able to customize your horns! Smaller..... Larger... twisted... curved... etc... would be so freaking amazing. And I have ALWAYS thought that most the art in the Sims especially if you ever played Sims Medieval is so awesome. I'd love to have that in UO. Fun to dream is it not?

8. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You don't even pay for the game anymore anyway, do you?

9. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

Oh, Im so sorry. Please point me in the right direction to show me where it says that you have to be a current subscriber to post here or have an opinion. I must have missed it.

Good luck getting your Fugly KR 'art' reinstated.

10. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Outstanding idea. Anything to keep more people playing UO. Who really gives a crap at this point in UO history which client anybody uses as long as it keeps UO alive.
    Do away with CC UO DIES.
    Do away with EC UO DIES.
    Bring KR art back and maybe we get so more players.
    UO NEEDS ALL THE HELP IT CAN GET TO STAY ALIVE.

BeaIank likes this.
  11. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

Yes, I fully agree.

Yep. Cant argue with that.

Err. No. How did you make that leap? There is nothing to suggest that bringing the KR art back will increase the playerbase one iota, or that not bringing it back will cost UO players in any significant number.

12. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Did you not SEE the word MAYBE in that statement? There is no way to say it would not help, it sure as hell could not hurt the game if people had 3 different art styles to look at.

13. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

An option to have graphics that aren't 20 years old can't hurt, at least.

14. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

I love when people who say "graphics don't matter" chime in on a thread calling for an option in a client hey claim not to even play. It's SO helpful.

Lord Frodo and Dot_Warner like this.
  15. utilitron

utilitron Adventurer

The biggest issue would be supporting new art that isn't drawn for the KR style

16. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

New incoming art you mean? Although I guess everything added since SA is in nasty low res, that may be an issue... Add the toggle and slowly work on the rest I guess.

Crowdsourcing new art for the EC also seems like a potential good option to me but unlikely

17. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

They don't bother making most new art fit the original UO style, so both clients will look equally hodgepodge :gee:

Kirthag and Uvtha like this.
  18. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

What I meant was that the posters who hated the KR look that most don't play anymore but they were on their soap boxes preaching how terrible it was.

I really thought KR kept the original feel of the UO CC but with a much needed improvement.

19. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

Some of the artwork was good, but a lot of it wasnt and the landcscape ... what a hideous mess of grass and trees. It actually made some people nauseous to play it. I also hated how your character slid across the landcape rather than ran. It was like ice skating and looked just awful. And lets not forget that on mounts your feet almost touched the ground. Terrible scaling. It looked like you were riding a donkey not a horse.

20. petemage

petemage Seasoned Veteran

Anyone asking the Devs to make any big changes to either client is plain lobbying to assasinate the mentioned client.

Has everybody yet forgot what pile of steaming crap the EC became, after it got a major "update"? What vendor search was when they released it, after it was already on TC for so long? :D

Good luck having the same crew doing a better job this time (You just have to believe!).

21. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Oh yeah. Adding an optional feature will totally kill the client. You got me, bruh. cc 4 lyfe