1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can we please have Ultima Online back?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Arien, May 6, 2015.

1. Arien

Arien Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

[​IMG]

I really like this Game and i like changes but not when they look like the ones on the Picture. Neon, Black & White everywhere! This aint Ultima Online. So who ever made those ugly things ... can we please have things in normal colors, that fits to the rest of the Ultima Online World? That black Statue in every Town, can we have it in plain color and the red Plants don't fits the whole scene, cause none of the Towns has those red Campion Flowers. Then Luna Bank ... no Trash Barrel, like in most of the Towns, ugly Rugs, ugly colored Plants outside the Bank and the topping are those Insured 2 Story Statues that don't belongs even there. In Skara is a Bridge that got changed and only god knows why ... and the best are those super ugly Curtains, Stools, Tables & the rest of that Stuff there. These are just a few examples, i am pretty sure there is a lot more. So please who ever made those Items in those ugly colors ... can we have Ultima Online back? Thank you.

Capt. Lucky, Philly and Zynia like this.
  2. Val'lyn De'ana

Val'lyn De'ana Seasoned Veteran

You complain about neon, but then when I look at your pictures, what do I see? You wearing neon colors?

-Val'lyn

3. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

Changing the black statues to normal color would be kind of pointless.....considering they are black because they are statues of King Blackthorn heh. As for the other stuff, UO has been using neon colors for almost a decade, it's just part of the game now.

4. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

in regards to the OP, "King" Blackthorn isnt exactly UO either. He is a supporter of the Chaos Virtue, "Evil" most would say, according to the Ultima series. Bascically, hes a fake king that could just as easily be classified as "Un-Ultima" as the neon colors or ugly graphics that dont fit.

To @Arien - modern UO is far from its roots. Its still technically UO but no, we will never have that original feel again its too far gone. I enjoy what we have now, but if you want the original feel your best off playing a good free shard.

5. Arien

Arien Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I wear Aqua Color, which is not a Neon Color in 2D / EC Client. Even if we have Neon Colors, must they ruin the Game for the normal Peoples with those ugly Colors everywhere? Can't we just leave the Towns normal? I don't mind if everyone use Neon Colors in their Houses, on their Cloth, Neon Hairs whatever but leave the Towns as they had been and if you change then so that it fits to those Towns.

Val'lyn De'ana likes this.
  6. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

Chaos DOES NOT MEAN EVIL in the Ultima series! The concept/philosophy has been seriously dumbed down in UO to the point of idiocy, a problem that can be lain at the feet of the original dev team. The conflict between LB and BT is due to what the Timelord asked LB to do (read My Story by Sherry the Mouse), and BT's unwillingness to slaughter the the divergent populations within the shards. It wasn't until Exodus's plot that BT went evil, which was retconned into BT being a replicant/clone/LMD. While I still think BT was fictionally a poor choice for king, its what we're stuck with.

Black and red are Blackthorn's colors, since the statues are of him as @Captn Norrington pointed out, they are completely appropriate. While I agree that bright neons (this is coming from someone with bubblegum pink hair) should be used sparingly in UO, I also believe that regular hues on absolutely everything in the cities would be visually boring.

#6 Dot_Warner, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    Viquire, Kirthag, Smoot and 2 others like this.
  7. Val'lyn De'ana

I do agree. When I deco, I refuse to use anything but natural colored items (this includes plants).

-Val'lyn

Piotr likes this.
  8. Giggles

Giggles Forum Administrator
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Campaign Supporter The Squirrel Empire

Oh man.. My house would throw anti neon people into a fit...

[​IMG]

I dunno, personally I like colors. I understand some people wanting a more natural feeling to the surroundings in Ultima Online. But for me I like some things to just be bright and colorful. I think right now its a pretty healthy balance to support players who see it both ways.

9. Ashlynn_L

Ashlynn_L Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Back when our shard governors were still allowed to request their cities have some additions to make them prettier it came with the condition that only natural looking plants and things were allowed to be used. That is why things like our Vesper town square looks nice and tasteful.

10. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

why i put "evil" in quotes ;)

Dot_Warner likes this.
  11. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

As far as plants go I don't like to use anything but the normal colored plants because the colored ones are "dipped in paint".... and it looks terrible. They would look far better if plants were not dipped in paint... and the stems were green and only the "flower" was colored. But what do I know.

As far as the deco goes... I personally WANT more deco around in the world... though I can agree that I wish it weren't so BOLD and bright with the silly colors. Just because gaudy colors are available does NOT mean they should be used. I prefer normal colors.... and I would LOVE to be able to put a few rustic benches and flowers (like normal champions and poppies) along some of the paths in my city... I'd love to see some nicely done parks ..... some well done area's for meetings and gatherings.... some nice parks near the docks to sit and fish.... things of that nature. I see NOTHING wrong with the banners... the ones shown in your picture are ones we can actually GET from the city loyalties. The blue and gold carpet is just fine it's not dyed... that's how it comes and honestly I LIKE that carpet.

Honestly I would like to see a bit more deco in some of the area's they are extremely blah and drab and a bit of color might do them some good... vast expanses of of stone is cold and drab... That's my opinion.

old gypsy likes this.
  12. Arien

Arien Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Right but those Banners sits on ugly Colored Books & Pillows, that's why they goes through the Roof. :) And i would like to see more nice Deco / Parks too and a change in Plants, cause no Plant has colored stems. They are Green ... it can't be so hard to change that, perhaps with the next Expansion.

13. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

KR plants were like this, only partially hue-able. I miss them.

I, too, prefer the natural color plants and only use the dipped in paint ones for subtle accents.

#13 Dot_Warner, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  14. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

I prefer natural colored plants, I prefer old school server births and "quest" items to the new EM event item system and I think some of the best decor in the game is done in the game's towns... but my hair is the shiny bright yellow color. I'm not sure where that puts me.

UO is in too deep for too long with the neon colors. Neon colors IS UO now. The game is not the same as it used to be but there is still much value to playing... the unique community for example.

15. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I think everyone ought to be able to express themselves. Sure some folk like gaudy stuff. But some like nice things... some folk RP some don't.... some PvP others don't..... big deal.. that's part of what makes UO Awesome.

old gypsy and Zuckuss like this.
  16. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I've never liked the neon colours (note colours not colors ... stop bastardising the English language). They are hideous and a blight on the game. Whoever it was that thought that this was a good addition to UO was either blind, tasteless or stupid. Probably all three.

17. MalagAste

You know I always thought of it as you know why guys drive big trucks with giant wheels? Yep... same reason some feel the need to stand out like an ostrich in a chicken house. P**** Envy. They feel small so they feel the need to stand out in a big way.

But like I said it's a matter of personal taste I guess and it's all part of the game. I honestly don't care if someone likes to dress like a clown. People do it in RL as much as in game. How many do you know wear make-up like Mimi on the Drew Carey show? They are out there. Watch a bit of that Walmart spoof cam stuff on the web... blows your mind what some folk do to themselves... what's scarier is they think it looks good!

But I mind my own business and don't go stuffing my nose in other peoples business... but you know I do like some things to be colorful... The whole of the world does not need to be drab and gray... muted and pale. One thing I complain about often is the lack of strong colors in UO. DARK colors. Everything either looks like some Easter Basket threw up all over everything or it looks drab and dull... There are very few things that are in Royal Blues, Crimson Reds, Midnight Blue, Emerald Greens, Forest Greens, Jade... Oranges other than blaze... Browns... not tan, or wood, but BROWN. We have many shades of gray, but no vibrant blues or greens...

18. Zynia

Zynia Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I hate neon too, I'll leave it at that otherwise I'm going to ramble rant.

19. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

No offense but imo the ugliest thing in all those pics is the OP's aqua outfit :(
    But what really is to be expected from someone who thinks their own personal taste should define 'ugly'

Scribbles likes this.
  20. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Am... I the only one who doesn't see any neon? I see some (basically just the curtains, and the trash chest though) metallic, but not neon. The pic on the bottom left with the banners... are you complaining about how the banners look, or how they are placed? And the one above that with the bridge... I'm confused what is the problem there?

I find those round table tops 100000% more offensive than anything else pictured, honestly.

Val'lyn De'ana likes this.
  21. Val'lyn De'ana

Wasn't the first neon introduced to the game via the old AoS gifts?

-Val'lyn

22. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

At the end of the day the neon argument is simply a matter of taste. Some people have it and some people don't.

23. MalagAste

Indeed there is pretty much no neon in those picutres at all... pretty much all of it is muted normal crap. Just because it's deco'd differently that seems to offend the OP. Personally I am extremely happy that the shards are starting to vary in appearance... They should. It's been how long since the shattering and I would thing that the worlds ought to evolve and become more suited to those still living on them not those who lived in the past. It should reflect the current population of the shard.

24. Philly

Philly Journeyman
    The Valorian Knights

Everyone arguing about colors but I think its not the colors but just plain ugly deco. If you look at the pictures she originally posted these deco items all look unfinshed, incorrect, not proper. what ever you wanna say they just plain look stupid. If who ever is gonna deco UO world at least use taste instead of unedged carpet or banners thur roofs ect. make it look right.... have someone check your work before you hit enter! lol

BrianFreud likes this.
  25. Val'lyn De'ana

Maybe those rugs had finished edges, not tassels? Like the ones I have in my own home.

-Val'lyn

26. AtlanticRealtor

AtlanticRealtor ICQ 647752375
    REALTOR

If you dont like the colors of UO
    You can always use a 1980 Computer!!
    [​IMG]

Zynia and Decadence like this.
  27. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I'm not a huge fan of bright colors myself, but I like how the variety gives everyone a chance to express themselves.

I knew someone who rp'd a fire creature (before costumes) and he wore blaze clothing to give the appearance of flames. I've used brighter colors for rp purposes myself.

28. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

With a neon character display? I think your point falls at the first hurdle. :next:

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  29. AtlanticRealtor

REALTOR

LOL
    I am telling the person that complain about colors, that she can use a Black and White / Monochromatic Screen

30. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

Yet you post one of neon green

31. MalagAste

Hey now! Those were the computers I learned "Intro to computer programming" on back in High School! With a dot matrix printer with the ribbons of holes down each side that you had to tear off. Which I will say we were still using in Labs for years. Many instruments in the lab had the green screens and printed on the ribbon printers for ages... I think it's only been in the last 5 or 6 years they finally moved away from that and started making them with color monitors and ink jet printers or the laser printers.

32. AtlanticRealtor

REALTOR

That is the Main reason!! OP Hates Neon!!

33. BrianFreud

BrianFreud Lead Wiki Mod & Doer of Crazy Things
    Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

coloredstems.png

34. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Crazed Zealot

I went off on a nut when the colored named statues (like the yellow busts named Dupree and such) came out like 15 years ago. Ya see where that went ;) But I feel your pain.

35. Melchiah

Melchiah Journeyman

Last time I mentioned something like this I thought it should go straight into S'n'R! And it's still there...

But agreed on the colours, even if we still have the neon, at least the ability to dye things in the original metal colours would tidy things up a little.

36. Zynia

Zynia Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I'd totally help un-neon and decorate tastefully (fix some banks) for free, lol.

37. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Crazed Zealot

On Legends, at the banks, we have pianos sitting outside. Trinsic anyway for sure. To me they make no sense at all, the weather would destroy them in a month. I asked EM Avalon about it and she seems quite attached to them. She's such a great EM I let it go so not to bum her out. But I still think it's goofy :p We have that empty building just south of the south Trinsic bank that would make a great music building if you like. :)

Zynia likes this.
  38. MalagAste

There are dozens of places that would/could use updating and improving... First off there ought to be a piano added to the Britain Conservatory right there by the Big Mage Shop there in West Britain. HUGE building could use being updated with the new instruments. I'm sure the citizens of Britain would appreciate it.

39. deadite

deadite Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend It's My Birthday

There's a frickin' water stream on the roof of the bank on Atlantic. Complete with plants and little benches. Dumbest thing ever. UO jumped the shark a long time ago. I don't play currently, but I find myself checking in for updates... always hoping for a Renaissance-era shard announcement.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  40. Val'lyn De'ana

No thank you.

-Val'lyn

41. MalagAste

Ditto. I wouldn't go back... Though I would look to simplify a few things I would never go back. Imbuing is a good thing... House design is a good thing.... Yes there are some very ugly things that come with it... not everyone was born to be a designer. I also like Tokuno, Malas, and Ter Mur. I enjoy the Abyss... even like Doom and I enjoy being an elf.

42. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

Ain't that the truth!!