1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can't delete character under 7 days old?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Barahir, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Barahir

Barahir Guest

So, I've not long started playing again after many years away.

I bought the SA expansion and the upgrade to 7 character slots so I could try out a gargoyle. I created a couple of gargoyles to try something out, filling up my 7 slots in the process.

I was expecting to be able to delete one of these to create the one I want to play, only to get a message that I cannot delete a character under 7 days old. What is this supposed to achieve other than locking me out of creating my new character for a week? I've not come across another MMO that has such an apparently pointless and annoying system in place.

If I'm just being noobish and am overlooking something, then any advice is appreciated. Otherwise, does anyone know if a GM will delete these two test characters I made?

2. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

deleted read it wrong

3. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

there is actually a reason for it !
    it keeps people from creating a character then getting special items then dropping item at house then deleteing character and doing it over and over for 1!

4. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

It has been this way since launch or shortly after, nothing new.

5. Pfloyd

Pfloyd Colorblind Collector
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If you absolutely can't wait you can use a race change token to go elf or human

6. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

there was a time when making a char gave you special items.. such as practice weapons that were blessed.. also items like clothing and tools were blessed..

making chars taking those items off it and repeating was a big business..

not needed anymore tho.. it just never was removed.

7. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Aren't there "newbie" quests still existing that could be farmed in this manner?

8. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

This was implemented to keep people from creating character non-stop to get the regs and gold. (um yes i know it was only 100 gold then and 12 regs and 3 scrolls... and and and...) Could you imagine getting a bag of reagents and 1000 gold then being able to delete that character instantly and and then creating yet another?

and DO NOT even say.... "Oh... no one would do that!" *bats eyelashes*

Trust me if someone could set up a program to log in create a char drop gold and a bag of regs on another on EVERY SHARD they would.

The 7 day cool off period is well justified.

What you could do right now, it hunt for resources, gather supplies, decorate and do other such things to benefit your new character you will make. Bandages perhaps?

9. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Not just newbie quests, but other quests that are typically a once per character sort of deal. It is there for a good reason, in my opinion.

10. Barahir

Barahir Guest

Thanks for the responses.

Well, I guess the waiting period does stop abuse of new character creation.

I suggest, however, that a week is a little long and also that a warning be given at character creation for those unawae of this feature.

11. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

They should lower the time limit to 24 hours.

12. olduofan

olduofan Guest

Well after reading this I to have always wounder why you couldn't delet a char the same day? What you all said here makes since other than the fact all one would have to do is create a free acc to do exactly what you are all saying? I would think maybe I'm wrong about that you mite need to be old enough to do quest and such things not sure?

13. KalVasTENKI

KalVasTENKI Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

/Thread.

14. Smokin

Smokin Guest

Yeah and those regs were blessed, use to do it weekly and xshard with someone to get them.

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah, this was put in a long time ago, like within the first couple of months. Even before the newbiefied regs etc were introduced. Btw, besides the 12 regs from magery, adding alchemy 1 will get you a bit more regs.

And folks really were doing this to get gold and regs. *looks away and starts whistling*

Yup.

Yup, you are correct, certain things cannot be done with a trial account. So a 7 day timer is a good balance between needing to set a restriction while still allowing players delete their chars.

They did remove 1 restriction. Previously, if you logged in a char, you used to have to wait until after server has done a back up before you could delete that char.

To the OP, might I suggest

1) playing another shard temporarily for the next 7 days and using those chars to test different skills out? Tip: Christmas is around the corner, and your chars need to be at least 30 days old to get gifts. Create those chars now so you can do some x-trading.

2) Keep one of your gargs and use the next 7 days to train him up as an imbuer. They get an imbuing bonus that other races won't get. If you ever want to have an imbuer, it's a good idea to have a garg.

16. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Guest

Heh, on Day One and for the first month, lots of us hung out at Inns, making and deleting characters over and over and over and over and over and over again, handing off the (I believe it was) 500g to a friend before deleting... ;)

Then they put in the 7 day thing.

17. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yep - this was all new to the players and developers and one can never underestimate the resourcefulness of humans. I also believe the total gold received at that time was 100 gold, but was raised to 1000 some years later maybe with the ML release?

18. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Guest

Whatever it was. :D

We all did it dozens, hundreds of times, to make gold back then.