1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can't figure out why EC won't start now - resolved

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Yadd of Legends, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

Not sure what happened. All of a sudden UOSA.exe won't start on my desktop. I uninstalled EC and reinstalled, uninstalled my antivirus program, ran three different file cleaners (like Malwarebyte). CC starts OK but not EC. EC still running normally on my laptop. Running as administrator makes no difference. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

2. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

That's odd. Have you downloaded anything recently? Been to any different websites?

Do you run windows? Did it update recently?

Have you tried doing a restore back to last week or something?

3. HoneythornGump

Allow through firewall?

4. MissEcho

MissEcho Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Heya

Ezekial and myself had a problem getting the EC to fire up a while back after running it successfully for years. Midway through this link Ezekial found the problem and it also fixed it for me. Not sure if yours is the same, but basically you click on the program it starts to open then just closes. Is a fix in this thread:

http://stratics.com/community/threads/ec-just-disappears.339030/#post-2539217

5. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

Thanks, @MissEcho, I'll try that tonight and see what happens. UO, a game only for the insanely dedicated

6. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

It seems Ezekiel was talking about the user data folder. So I replaced the user data folder on my PC with the one on my laptop, which I know is working. UOSA.exe still only starts to open for a second and then closes. I'm about ready to take an indeterminate break from UO

7. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Did you try restoring your pc to when it was working?

8. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

I don't think I can restore because I never created a restore point on this PC. But if UO EC is the only program that's not working , and I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it still doesn't work, it makes me wonder about some problem in the registry that's connected with with UO, and I don't know how to fix that. Maybe search for anything in registry that changed with the last 2-3 days when the problem started? I did a search in regedit and found only one entry for UOSA and don't know what it means or if it means anything
    UOSA registry.jpg
    EDIT: Using Windows 8

9. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Try to check event viewer and expand the applications folder.
    Check there if you can find any crash related to UOSA.exe.

If you do, post it here.

10. MissEcho

MissEcho Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

No it isnt the user data folder, that is what he used to recover the character files. Basically you need to rename the 'ultima online stygian abyss' folder (under ea games) to something else completely then start the game again. I renamed my folder 'renamed sa' then logged in again and it worked first time.

Re read the instructions he gave, it isn't the user data file you need to rename, it is the whole thing.

11. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Running the patcher and checking the "Perform full file check" box may also help with this problem, in case there is a corrupted file.

12. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

OK, that did it, thanks
    Then I was able to copy User Data from the laptop to the PC
    Now to reinstall Pinco's once I get the energy

13. MissEcho

MissEcho Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Glad to help, be interesting to know if you 'crashed' for some reason prior to the fault starting. I crashed, and so did Ezikial which started off the problem. I didn't need to reinstall pinko's as I never took it off, just renaming that file fixed it. Is just a pain to have to copy over the user data files again.

People who use the EC need to note this 'fix' as downloading and reinstalling (the HOURS that this takes) does NOTHING to fix the problem. It is only renaming that file that seems to fix it. Powers that be need to be looking into it, as even if you try running the default EC it won't work until you kill the file and start again.

14. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

Yes, the problem started after a crash. A program I didn't want starting installing itself and I pulled the plug to stop it. UO was still open. Renaming something in the Documents folder to fix it does seem counter-intuitive. Once again, help comes from the UO community itself.

15. MalagAste

I'm Very glad you got it working again!

Yadd of Legends likes this.