1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can't Patch 2d (XP)

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tinsil, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

Running XP and can't get UO to patch. It downloads then gets stuck on applying and gives me the error message. Then when I login of course gives the communicating with origin error message.

No client mods or anything. I had the patch work just fine on 8/29 is what my client says for 2d.

Let me know if anyone has some ideas please, thanks.

2. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Check if the patchfolder contains anything. If it does, empty it and try again.

3. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

Did so. I think it broke somehow unfortunately. Probably going to have to reinstall, but just thought I'd see if anyone here knew how to fix it.

4. FionanPac

FionanPac Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I am having the exact same problem as you... I have no idea how to fix it.

5. Hooli Gan

Hooli Gan Guest

Same problem here as well.Tried emptying the folder tsarted to patch then bammo stuck at applying.

Tech Help Please

6. Spelosty

Spelosty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Agh, Same problem.....Help...

7. Hooli Gan

Hooli Gan Guest

You guys all running xp too?

Looks like were taking it in the arse at the momment......sux

Trying to get get into cust support.IDK

Pissed actually lol

8. FionanPac

FionanPac Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Keep up posted on what to do!

Thank you sir!

9. Hooli Gan

Hooli Gan Guest

Still on hold with cust service. Decided to load that god awful new sa client to see if I could get in.Yupper no problem there.So its definatly A 2D XP issue.

2d not getting any love

10. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This particular computer I'm typing on is XP and I was able to patch and play just fine. I also have a laptop with Vista which patched and can play just fine as well.

Do you have enough disk space? I know there are XP systems which would have enough disk space, but have the disks partitioned and so run out of room.

11. Chrille

Chrille Journeyman
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Glorious Lord

Im using vista and had the same problem. Reinstalled in end and then I set it to admin and it worked. Took about 40 mins to patch up from 9th ann collection disc.

12. Spelosty

Spelosty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I'm fairly certain 3.5g is enough space for a patch seeing as the game is barely above 1g....

Hmmm....I'd be patching from Uo Gold...

13. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

I'll have to reinstall and try to patch again tonight then. The last disk I have though I think is AOS so it'll probably take a bit.

Btw, have plenty of space on my hard drive.. At least 100gb

14. FionanPac

FionanPac Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

how do i boot this badboy up with SA client?

15. Omnius

Omnius Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

so it won't patch. 2d on xp.

16. Hooli Gan

Hooli Gan Guest

Gotta dl the new sa client if thats the route you wanna go.But IMHO its crap but heres the link http://www.uoherald.com/downloads/ if your dying for a peak.

Ive been trying all day to get this thing to patch on my classic 2d client it gets all the way to the end of the patch then stalls out and says Error applying patch.Ive never ever had a patch problem with this computer and I have been running uo on it for over 3 years.

Downloading another classic client and going to try a full reinstall I guess.

Fuming !!!!

17. Omnius

Omnius Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

so i guess, i don't get to play then?

18. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Have patience my friends.

19. Omnius

Omnius Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It seems silly a decent number of people can't seem to play 2d with xp. one has to assume the patcher is broken.

20. Omnius

Omnius Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

a few friends from siege have reported the problem stems from turning desolation off, or using the legacy unicorn and kiirin artwork.

21. Spelosty

Spelosty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Okay, Since I'm probably not the only one thinking "what?!". I was wondering if I might get the English version of this

22. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

Wrong thread?

Please if anyone in this thread reinstalls and gets UO to work then by patching through again let the rest of us know, so that we can be sure this will fix the problem. Thanks!

23. Spelosty

Spelosty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I'm working on patching a fresh client right now I should be able to confirm or deny if it works within about 30minutes or so.

24. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Way cool.

25. Omnius

Omnius Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Because some of the newbies in the thread didn't understand what I've posted. The problem with patching is that the patcher detects any modifications to UO art files or the deactivation of the desolation feature in fel. In otherwords, these very popular mods among siege players may cause problems patching.

Other modifications may cause issues as well but I believe my problem resulted from using the legacy artwork for unicorns and kiirins rather than the uglier more modern artwork.

26. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

You may have just answered your own question... I am too much of a newbie to tell.

27. Spelosty

Spelosty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Well, I'm sorry I'm not up to date on all of the mods. people use on their client...Which if I remember correct are illegal.

28. Idahoan

Idahoan Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

My main pc, XP Pro SP3, 40GB free space, 2d Classic

Unable to patch

2nd pc, same specs, only 17GB free space, 2d Classic

Patched fine.

No idea why one will & one will not

29. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

That is good info.

30. Omnius

Omnius Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

art mods have only been considered illegal or at least mentioned by the devs if they give you an advantage. making mounts use their older artwork and putting leaves back into felucca can hardly be said to give a player an advantage.

31. Spelosty

Spelosty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Never said there was an advantage, but I noted this in the terms of service.

32. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Maybe true... but it might lead to an answer.

33. FionanPac

FionanPac Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I had a few of the art files changed so I wouldn't lag like a mother when in certain dungeons. So I put the original art files back in and WAAAAAAALAAAAA! It worked, no longer did it freeze in patching it went all the way through and worked. So if you have any art file changed for pvp advantage or just for beauty sake give it a shot!

34. Astrel

Astrel Guest

I don't think its the patcher or XP, try switching off yr antivirus, then try.

35. Giles

Giles Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I have had the same problem . Patch went fine but get a client error when i hit ok. I just got done re-installing from Samurai Empire. Didnt fix it. Tried removing McAfee firewall, but still not go. I had same problem with SA beta, and just gave up waiting for regular patch. Would love any other ideas?

36. Spelosty

Spelosty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Well, After reinstalling a fresh client and fully patching, it finally finished!!!And I successfully logged in too!

37. Hooli Gan

Hooli Gan Guest

congrats....

Hopefully I will have the same luck.Doing a full reinstall right now almost done patching.If this doesnt work I am so going nut the f up on something....muwahaha

seriously wtf?

Im sure ill get it to work enentually.But **** of to me getting any decent new housing spots in the Abyss which is all I was really after.

38. Hooli Gan

Hooli Gan Guest

Im In......woot woot.

Had to do a complete wipe of everything uo.Reinstalled and is working perfectly...

What a headache.Thank god I didnt have to nut up on anything.Tends to get messy when that happens

39. Snakeman

Snakeman UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Had to talk a friend through that tonight on his Vista, it would get to end & start to apply the patch & blam, errors. Had him delete Patch folder (kept giving him 2 every time) and same thing. Finally had him Uninstall the New Classic Client that was for Ret Shard only & try to patch, same Error. Then had him uninstall his Reg UO he had been using, reboot & reinstall from 8th Age disk he had & it patched perfectly. I am thinking since many had installed the Classic Enhanced for the Ret Shard testing this is some of the problem. I had uninstalled it once Ret shut down & had no problems, others I know on both Vista & XP had no problems with the patch, but all had Uninstalled the client before the last large patch we had Monday. Possibly some of those files are being seen somehow & that is why it errors when applying?? Who knows

40. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Well, 2D user, XP, and since I don't do PVP, no art alterations.

Still no patching...

41. SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I used to have a lot of patching issues when I ran on PC. These are the two things I can recommend:
    1.) Completely uninstall UO. Delete every file from your computer. Redownload from the uo website.
    2.) Delete your patch file as another player state above.
    I recommend option 1.

42. Basara

Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Is everyone else's problems occurring at:

Code:

map4.mul
    Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'map4.mul'

New Version of File 'map4.mul' already exists.

End patch
    map5.mul
    Applying ADD File Patch for 'map5.mul'

N

Where it seems that the line

"New Version of File 'map5.mul' already exists."

Is being cut off at "N"?

Note that "map5.mul" did not exist until recently.

43. SchezwanBeefy

Stratics Veteran

This is because 2 patch files exist on your computer I think. I would either delete both or completely uninstall UO, as that always worked in the past for me and as another user stated. The patch will take a while but it'll be better than nothing.

44. Basara

Not it - repeatedly tried deleting patch files - no dice.

However, on a couple EARLIER attempts, what occurred is that the patch installer just blipped, and passed on to the account/PW entry gump, WITHOUT declaring an error OR declaring the patch finished. My guess is that bight be what is causing later patches to mess up.

45. SchezwanBeefy

Stratics Veteran

So, I just suggest you uninstall?

46. Giles

Giles Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

i have tried reinstalling twice now from a samuri empire disk. i still have the same problem. The file pointed to by the client error box is; C:\DOCUME~1\carl\LOCALS~1\Temp\ca3b_appcompat.txt

no idea what that mean. Anyone else still have this issue. Trying to use EA help, but it is mightily slow. i am also running xp

47. I am having the exact same problem you are having giles.I have installed the game 6 times now 2 times from disk 4 times from net.i patch just fine but client crashes when loading.tried it with out my firewall nadda.:} looking for some help too.

48. Giles

Giles Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

any luck getting it to work Bob? i am still not able to log in. Put in a help request to EA but they did not respond yesterday. Do not know what else to try.

49. no luck yet. I am going to try beta client and see if that works.
    if not i am going to install it on a different comp and see if that works.
    all i know is that it worked on the 7th,then not on the 8th

50. jfkeach

jfkeach Guest

Uninstall old client, download the one from EA site. Reinstall. It tries to install to the same directory the old client was in, and if you have stuff there it wont work. You might want to delete the ea games directory after you uninstall through the control panel.