1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Cap'n Crunch and the shoe bombs

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by UncleSham, Nov 5, 2013.

1. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

i was telling an old story to a fellow guild member last night of my days as a fisher back in the day . he made me promise to post the story here or he'd publicly call me out . so ... here is the tale of Cap'n Crunch and the shoe bombs.

Way back when , before trammel even existed , i was playing on napa . i decided i wanted to try out fishing . the MIBs had just been introduced and i was curious to see how it all would go . fearing a total catastrophe i decided to do it on a new shard and headed to Chesapeake . with nothing but the clothes on my back , not knowing a soul , i made a fisher and tossed my hook in the bay off of britain's west bank pier.

being a bit of a role player (and somewhat touched in the head) i named my guy Cap'n Crunch . i actually got a cereal box and made him look as close as i could . (white pony tail, blue fancy shirt and tricorn hat etc.)

i stood at the bank selling "crunchy" fish steaks until i could afford a small dragon ship. from then on i lived on that boat. this was before item decay so i just piled all my worldly possessions on the deck and kept the boat refreshed. one had to be very careful with the key but i learned to make it work.

there were plenty of people around so you actually met folks on the seas . some of them as you can imagine were not so friendly. with little to no fighting ability i learned the steering macros quickly and learned how to run.

i spent many days at the back end of the boat chatting with my tilllerman (they spoke much more then and as i said , im a bit touched in the head) hehe . really tho the main reason i stood next to him was if you "whisper" the boat commands he would still obey and a would-be pk couldn't hear what you were saying.

one day i set my bag of goodies next to me on the deck and to my dismay it trailed off the back of the boat behind me. i quickly backed up to see if it was still there and discovered it indeed was somehow floating on the water , but when my boat hit it i stopped like id slammed into a pier.

after much experimenting i discovered if you placed something on the last tile on the outer edges while moving it would float and trail off behind you . bandages, fish, even piles of gold floated on the water. (the uo gods surely must be crazy)

now one thing for sure , as any fisher will tell you , you get a ton of footwear from failed fishing attempts .
    they used to say "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and he'll never need to buy shoes again"

so ... one day i see a ship approaching rapidly. on board were a few men with red names shouting all manner of threats . i whisper "forward right" and begin my escape run for the nearest guard zone. but their pilot is skilled and keeps up with me . arrows splash in the water next to me and i begin to panic.

having nothing on me but a bunch of shoes i drop one on that back right tile . it flows out behind me like a small torpedo . the pilot deftly doges it.

i drop one on the left tile and it flows back. this time it impacts on my pursuer's bow and stops him in his tracks .

and... the shoe bomb was born . from then on any time i needed to escape i'd drop shoes left and right till one hit and bought me the time i needed. :p

this still works by the way, but only on the old fashioned boats . i cant make that work on the galleons . i guess they were made more soundly. but *shrugs* there ya have it . hope y'all enjoyed my little tale .

see you "out there"

Leather Lucy, Spiffykeen and Blaeke like this.