1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

[Cartography] Cartography, Lockpicking, and Soulstones

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Draedloth, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Draedloth

Draedloth Guest

I have a character that is nearing the skill cap. I want to use Cartography and Lockpicking like so,

Step 1. Decode some T-Maps and put in backpack
    Step 2. Put Cartography into Soulstone, making Cartography zero
    Step 3. Take Lockpicking out of Stoulstone, making Lockpicking 100.0
    Step 4. Go to T-Map Location 1 and dig up treasure chest
    Step 5. Loot
    Step 6. Repeat
    Step 7. Trade out Lockpicking and Cartography again to repeat list later

My questions lies with digging up a decoded T-Map while I do not have the Cartography skill, but the map was decoded by the character. Is it possible? Or do I need to have Cartography for the entire thing through the dig up? Thank you for any insight anyone can provide.
  2. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Jul 16, 2003
    As long as you were the FIRST AND ONLY character decode the map, you can use the soulstone method.

If some other character was the first one to decode the map, you must have the required cartography on you to dig the map. Unsure if having another character decode it after you affects it similarly or not, but I wouldn't risk it.
  3. weins201

weins201 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

May 14, 2008
    As long as the char that decoded it digs it you can stone off carto, I did this the other day and worked out just fine.

Good luck
  4. As said above as long as you are the only person decoding them all is well, but if another person decodes then you must have the require skill to read the map when digging it up.
  5. Draedloth

Draedloth Guest

Yes, my character would be decoding and digging them up. Thank you all very much!
  6. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

May 12, 2008
    I have used this technique for years, so I would like to make a suggestion. I have 2 chests in my house. One for tattered maps and one for maps I have already decoded.

Any map I find or buy, or discover, if it isn't tattered gets thrown out. Never contaminate your map collection with "NON-tattered " maps.

When my chest of decoded maps is empty, I stone LP off and cart on and decode all the tattered maps I own. they all get moved to chest number 2 leaving the first chest for the new tattered maps I get!