1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Casting EV after the expansion

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Ivory Norwind, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Ivory Norwind

Ivory Norwind Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I have 120 magery then EV has a percentula of 100%.
    But now, after the expansion, EV has no 100% percentual.
    I know that it can be interrupted. Obiouvlsy i mean that also if there are noone that can be interrupt the spell, and EV fizzles.
    Only EV, every other spaelll work ri8ght.
    There's some bug?

2. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

No idea what's goin on with that.

All I know, is I sat down to play today, hit the Humility spawn, fizzled 6 straight at 110 magery...left, logged, and played Mahjongg.

*shrugs*

3. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I know I cast a little over 200 energy vortex yesterday at 120 mage and did not fizz once.

I was interrupted a few times (spells, direct damage, and the occasional you cant cast while dragging objects).

4. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

120 magery doesn't give 100% success rate, it's slightly lower than 100%.
    Chance is 99.9% which is rounded down to 99% I believe.

5. Vaen Swiftar

Vaen Swiftar Guest

I don't know about this. I've NEVER failed any spell at 120.

6. Lord Raven

Lord Raven Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

How many forums are you going to post this question in?

7. Snakeman

Snakeman UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Never have failed at 120 on any spell. But I have noticed since the last few patches my 110 & 115 mages are fizzing more then ever. Yesterday & today it was nothing to fizzle 8 to 12 times in a row constantly on an EV. Never has been that bad, maybe 4 or 5 but never 8-12. (great RNG)

8. jfkeach

jfkeach Guest

Today I hunted for hours with my mage, never failed on any spell, not even WOD, unless interrupted. That surprised me because I am not 120 Weaver yet, 118.8.

9. BlissMarie

BlissMarie Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I have had trouble casting, at times, since the expansion, as well.

BlissMarie

10. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I've never failed at 120 magery either, but I've heard of people who "have." Until I do it myself I call bull**** because when I've had 99 LRC in the past I have always found out very fast :p, so not sure if the 99% is true.

Generally, from 64 skill, you cast 100% 4th circle, then you simply add 14 to that total for each circle following, 78 for 5th, 92 for 6th, 106 for 7th and 120 for 8th, so at 100 magery you fail EVs a lot and by 110 it isn't that much better. However, Mysticism, which operates exactly like magery, does have something like a 99% or 99.5% chance or so to cast their "8th circle" spells at 120 mysticism, and you'd need 120.5 to actually cast 100% (which isn't possible right now), so I guess it's possible magery is 99%, just I've never experienced a fizzle that wasn't justified.

Remember when we had no insta-retarget for EV? ;P Least we have that.

http://www.uoherald.com/guide/guide.php?guideId=278

11. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

It's likely that this is what I was remembering.

12. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I was just saying the same thing yesterday to my guild mates. I remember before scrolls came out and GM was as good as it got, I could cast EV's with better sucess rates than i can now with my 115 mage.

I failed 9 times in a row yesterday and ended up dead due to it :sad2:

13. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Well, as long as you have a chance to fail, you may never succeed ;)

14. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Thats funny i like that :thumbup:

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

IIRC, at 117.5 spellweaving, you have a 100% success at WOD.

I have protection casted all the time. The only times I have failed ev and wod at 120 under certain situations -

1) When I get mana drained below what's required.

Not sure if mind rot would do the same but in theory, if you had just enough mana to cast ev and got hit with mindrot in midcast, the ev should fail if you don't have enough mana to cover the increased cost. Anyone know for sure?

Or maybe getting lmc eqm removed. Eg swapping to a suit with less lmc or even swapping your scrapper with a slayer spellbook with less lmc. Anyone know for sure?

2) When I happen to be dragging something in my cursor.

@Ivory, could any of the above have occurred when you failed the ev?

However, having said all that, wife fizzled 1 WOD yesterday fighting a renowned ratman (in the cavern of the discarded). She's at 120 spellweaving. Casted protection, so it is not caused by interupts.

Didn't take note of her mana level though, or any spell effect at that time. Not sure why it failed. Will have to test it more to be sure to see if the success chance has been lowered.

16. Sabbath

Sabbath Guest

I stopped fizzing Chiv spells at 115 and magery at 120. The promise of no more fizzes was the primary reason I pushed myself to achieve those levels.

It just feels so good to never hear that damned fizz sound :thumbup1:

17. Nine Dark Moons

Nine Dark Moons Certifiable

on a tangential note, does earthquake sound like an antique telephone now when anyone else casts it? i used to love casting it becuase of the big boom that would make my whole computer desk shake (subwoofer). now it sounds like a freakin phone ringing.

18. Sabbath

Sabbath Guest

Do you have a phone on your desk? :mf_prop:

19. Spellbound

Spellbound Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

What monsters were you fighting when you failed? Found this in publish 60 notes...Unholy Touch: The Lich's touch will occasionally corrupt the player's soul, temporarily draining some of his skills and attributes. Perhaps several of the newer monsters have this ability, thus causing fails even at 120 skill.

20. I have had the exact same problem, fizzling like crazy casting EV's on my mage, I have 100 magery on my tamer, fizzle 70% of the time there, but an interesting sidenote, when I remove my Swords of Prosperity, I seem to fizzle 50%.

21. Ivory Norwind

Ivory Norwind Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

No, with critters too. And i fizzle also 3 or 4 times, with 120 magery. Not near the monsters, not monsters with magery.
    I've made the experiment suggested by Nordberg but i fizzle also in a free area, alone. About one/two times every 10 casts.
    Is it one of the usual mystery of ultima online? :confused:

22. Rosalinda

Rosalinda Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

It's possible that the patch changed something else that affects casting? Like, for example, the effect (or non-effect) of hunger? In that case, maybe the people who are fizzling are hungry, and those who aren't, aren't? Not saying it IS hunger, just it could be some factor like that?

23. Lord Urza

Lord Urza Guest

i was under the impression that 120 magery had a 100% chance to cast EV. I hope this hasnt changed.

24. Sabbath

Sabbath Guest

I just cast 12 successful EV in a row while being pounded on in the Demon room in Hythloth. 120 Magery with Protection ON.

I even drew the purple llama on number 12! LOL It's different in EC than Legacy (if I'm remembering correctly) because in EC the llama has the blue EV halo on at all times and you can only see his head sticking out (could see his full body as the EV was forming). Pretty funny looking :lol:

25. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Neither have I.

26. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Lich's touch (Primeval Lich) seems to reduce your skills slightly, maybe more if you have less magic resist spells. Not sure if it effects cast.

27. Lord Raven

Lord Raven Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

What is your Evaluating Intelligence? Does anyone know if that has any effect on casting chance? My 120/120 mage casts 99.9 percent of the time. Wiffs are so rare it actually suprises me when it happens.

I also have a 115 mage (forget his eval)... he does wiff more often but then I expect that with him, he's such a slacker anyway.

28. Sabbath

Sabbath Guest

I can answer this with confidence...I have zero Eval and 120 magery and never whiff.

For what it's worth, I keep Protection ON and have 120 resist spells