1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Castle Courtyards

Discussion in 'UO Homes and Castles' started by red sky, Mar 6, 2009.

?

Who wants recall and gate allowed in castle courtyards?

1. Yay

40 vote(s)
    87.0%
  2. Nay

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. red sky

red sky Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Okay, so who wants to be able to gate and recall into their castle's courtyard? :danceb:

2. Voluptuous

Voluptuous Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

can I live in somebody's courtyard just so I can experience castle livin for a bit so I can vote honestly?

heh but seriously, one seems to get spawn in there...why can't it be treated as part of the footprint and be deco'd as well?

3. sligachan

sligachan Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

i needs a castle first, anyone got a spare one? no ? :sad4:

4. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Aye we need to be given castles so we can make a more informed vote :D

5. Lady Arwen

Lady Arwen Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

yea I agree :D

6. Laina

Laina Sage
    Stratics Veteran

It would be nice to be able to recall/gate into and deco castle courtyards.

7. CassieDarksong

CassieDarksong Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

A long time ago you could recall into castle courtyards.

Then welcome the griefers who used them to cause problems.

8. Ni-

Ni- Guest

I remember hearing about that. I figure that if castle owners want to put up with the griefers then sure, allow recalling/gating into them.

Deco, however nice an idea that'd be, would seem like it would be a major issue. On top of that I think allowing recalling/gating into courtyards and deco would be even bigger. It's like you'd have to treat the courtyard as part of the house to allow deco but recalling/gating cannot be done inside of the house.

9. Laina

Laina Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I guess I was lucky to never experience the griefing when I had my castle.

And, you are right - I didn't think that all the way through about the deco and recalling. Whenever I think of that castle, I just remember wishing I could stick some plants in that courtyard and pretty up the place! There are a lot of new deco ideas here on the forum but that was years ago for me.

10. CassieDarksong

Stratics Veteran

Many times, it wasn't the castle owners who had to put up with the griefers, it was the castle owners who WERE the griefers.

Example. Release two or three or four dragons into the court yard, have multiple runes marked, "Gate to vendor house here" People walk through, insta death.

Or before they had "Leave house" option they would gate you into it, lock all the doors and you had no way out other than recall. If you were in fel, they'd use this to corner you and kill you.

Then you had others who would use castle runes from the old days to get into the center area in the hopes people only locked the front two doors to prevent folks from entering....

I think, with the change of "public" and "private" house settings, the change to recalling "into a house" such as a castle got changed to help alleviate those problems.

11. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

that's where it stops making sense, for me, anyway ... if it's considered part of my house, let me deco it! :)

12. CassieDarksong

Stratics Veteran

We never said the devs had to make sense :p

13. Lady Arwen

Lady Arwen Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Yea I have to agree.. I think that people would just use them more to cause problems and that there would be more people complaining about it than actually enjoying it. However, I DO think that they should be able to be decoed, That would be really nice.. and Id love to see what some of the people here could do with that.. >)

14. red sky

red sky Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Players can only attack you in the courtyard in felluca; which is an all kill zone anyhow. If you ask me, that would add more fun to a castle. This would be great as long as you can remove them from the courtyard as you would if they were actually inside your house; with the old "remove thyself" or "I ban thee" commands.

15. Deb

Deb Guest

Someone figured out how to lock down items in thier castle
    courtyard...not sure how though.
    http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=133551

Not sure if it is legal, but it definitely looks nice. So I voted
    yes on recalling and decoing castle and keep courtyards. :)

16. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

First off.... now the owner of a castle (never thought I'd ever live to see the day!) I can say this.... you can't recall or gate into the courtyard.... however.. you can't deco in there either.... and if someone is being a pain in your side and they remain inside the castle courtyard you can't ban them.... you can't do anything with them unless they actually set foot on the steps or inside the walls.... otherwise they can be right inside your courtyard and grief you to their hearts content..... there isn't a single thing you can do about it in Trammel... and YES they can grief.... like your having a guild function and some drip idjit is out there spamming all sorts of noise and spells distracting from the event ... Oh and don't be fooled about not being able to recall or gate into there .... cause he can stand in there and gate in all the jerks he wants to..... And once he's inside there is NOTHING you can do about it... he can even log out in there.... Granted it's not safe... but if he's blue and hidden... there is NOTHING you can do about it... you can even release a dozen dragons in there and since he's blue.... nothing will happen..... So how's that for annoying......

I vote they make it a part of my stinking castle and nothing and no one can gate or mark there... and I can deco it... because it IS part of my castle....

Which of course would then mean there is NO way you can place a castle over a tree.... as you can now... and have the tree be "in" your courtyard... because well.... it would block.... I think any castle that currently has one would be safe but new construction would be limited to having NOTHING blocking in the courtyard... I think it's a fair compromise...

17. Same for those three empty spots in Keeps, I wish they allowed us access and let us turn them into places like treasure rooms, and prisons.

18. Blaster

Blaster Guest

I was able to mark three runes on the ground in the locations of a Keep's three courtyards. Then placed the keep! Then am able to freely recall in and out of these areas. You can't really do much with the areas besides putting water barrels, Steeds, and /or Tamed then released animals in there. Although I haven't really tried or tested Blessed items there to see if they decay.

19. Lady_Emma

Lady_Emma Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Be nice to decorate the yard of the castle.

20. Infiniti

Infiniti Guest

My castle is on Ice Island and I would love to be able to recall into the courtyard with my crafter. :)

21. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I have a castle on ice island so I mark my recall runes where I'm standing one tile away from the front steps, since spawn so often gets stuck right by the stairs. They are almost never blocked (have backups too). :)