1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Casual UO? No!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by SirZ, Jun 19, 2012.

1. SirZ

SirZ Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Mesanna, my congratulations with your new position in great UO team. I hope you read my message, but it sounds like a dream :)

Last years in UO be a hardest years. game changed many produsers, but all this people could not understand 'What UO is and what players want' (no offense guys).
    What all they doing? OOOoohh, players wants a new tube with new colour, players dreams about fishing, people need more grinding and casual and bla bla bla... And most players like a little girls clapped their hands and tried to get a new pink boots from dragon's ass.

God dammit no! NO! Are you played UO in a rising of the game? What attracted people there? Casual style? Really? No! Hardcore, hardcore do UO is really UO.
    Most gamers remember UO and love it for hardcore, not for casual style and pink boots.

Just make a insurance an expensive luxury, bring back work for crafters.

Stop casuality UO, make hardcore back and people come back to the game.

Reth, hen and Raptor85 like this.
  2. Dan123The123Man

Dan123The123Man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

3. Necron87

Necron87 Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Guardian's Of Valor

Fully support the aforementioned words! though I am a relative newcomer to the uo, but came into it just because I was attracted to older reviews, stories, 90 of the very Ultima online.Priceless things do not grow old and lose their value.

4. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Come play with us on Siege Perilous, we do not have insurance and we do have work for the crafters. Also we don't have Trammel code, all facets are like Felucca

Zosimus and Lady Arwen like this.
  5. SirZ

SirZ Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Trammel is great feature, I don't think that it is useless thing.

6. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I never said it was but if you want UO the hard way, Siege is the shard for you.
    I'm all for Trammel for all the players who love it, just not a place for me, to safe and boring :p

Zosimus likes this.
  7. SirZ

SirZ Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Siege is not for european players (maybe western europe have good ping to shard, but eastern europe and russia have unplayable ping), but anyway Siege the part of UO and "pink boots" added to this shard too.
    My 1st post about the overall direction of the game generally, one of hundreds ideas.

8. Felonious Monk

Stratics Veteran

English is not the first language here.
    This player has passion for the game and is listing Moscow/Europa as home.
    To americans who speak one language it might sound :coco:.

hen, Zosimus, Sevin0oo0 and 2 others like this.
  9. FrejaSP

I'm danish and doing fine on Siege, I'm not the only one from EU. We had some russia and japanes players in the past.
    Yes it is part of UO and we have all the new stuff too but our economy is better, more healty.
    Also our community are strong, you rarely see trash talk in general chat. People is supporting each others, that be with advices or crafted items or something else.

The problem with UO is, we do all have ideas but we do not agree about them :) Hard to make all happy

10. Felonious Monk

Stratics Veteran

It's the human condition that we project in and out of virtual worlds.
    A beautiful clash of existential diversity
    It's only a drag when you take it to seriously or think your opinion trumps all others.
    Viva la Difference! That said it's time to log in and kill ****e!

11. Necron87

Necron87 Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Guardian's Of Valor

I think that if I create a poll in a vote, it became clear to many

12. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

I'm afraid "hardcore" UO isn't the answer to dwindling populations. From reading prior posts, I have the impression that the majority of players have grown up and older since they began playing UO. Most have jobs, families, real lives... and don't have as much time to devote to games as they once had.

As for teens... it's graphics that wows 'em these days (no pun intended).

Ludes and Mirt like this.
  13. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

UO takes 100x more time to play than it used to, and I pretty much agree with the OP. UO used to be harder but less time consuming, these days it's easier but takes more time. I don't have the time to invest to grind 100 hours for whatever the new super arty of the month is before it becomes outdated, especially when it's so repetitive and easy I feel like i'm going to fall asleep the entire time. As more and more long grinds have been added in lately I find myself logging in less and less as when it comes down to it when you only have a hour or so to play that's not even enough time to suit up, hope guildies log in during that time, and head out in UO these days. As for graphics...yeah maybe for one group, but that never was UO's core audience. The pvp crowd in general doesn't care a lot about the graphics so there's games that look on par or far worse than UO's CC that are FAR more popular and get more new users

14. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Far be it from me to dispute your claims... but casual UO is just as attractive to casual players as hardcore UO is to hardcore players.

And the lack or presence of item insurance has zip to do with "hardcore."

Eaerendil, Mirt and Viquire like this.
  15. NBG

NBG Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

You must understand how the sandbox has changed since release of UO. The sandbox now offers many more options and number of sub groups of players has formed with each enjoying their play style.

Everyone in the game deserve the same consideration when it comes to Dev improvement in their area of play with the exception of cheaters. Some people just enjoy decoration and new options provided and some prefer to do other things. We all pay the same subscription fee so I do not favor extreme stance on limiting in how one can enjoy the game.

Eaerendil likes this.
  16. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

I actually have,woke up and went Oh Crap! Then went "Look's like I won. (30,000hp renown) Collected my stuff and went to bed. meh

17. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

was it the red rats at the bottom of cavern? because if so i've totally passed out while fighting them as well and woke up when the sound changed (the "clang" every second stopped, lol).

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  18. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

aaah, I was wondering why I woke up at all - the sound changed, duh, Thanks

19. Felonious Monk

Stratics Veteran

*Chuckles*

20. Driven Insane

I'm glad UO doesn't require me to play 24/7. I can log on for a few hours a week and accomplish a few things and not really fall behind everyone else. And if I actually have the time, such as during the winter when it's to cold to do anything else, then I can play for alot longer and not be bored.

UO does have an older average age of player who typically have alot of RL responsibilities and cannot devote their lives to a game.

old gypsy, Eaerendil and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  21. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Professional Mall Santa and Legendary Piglet
    Professional Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

I am working every day in a full-time job and I have a family that needs (and likes) my attention. I have about one hour to spend in UO on a usual working day - IF its a usual day, I am not tired and my family is sleeping... At the weekends it may be much more time. I am a grown-up player that decided to play UO BECAUSE it is so different compared to places like WoW wich is populated by hardcore-kids. I wouldn´t be able to play a game with some degree of enjoyment and satisfaction, if it wouldn´t offer so many different possibilities for players with very heterogenous interests and playstyles. There are days, when there is only time for checking vendors, chatting with some friends, perhaps farming some stuff for half an hour... There are other days, when I have time for long-lasting peerless hunts, champs or EM-events. There are evenings with some crafting business, evenings in which I only "banksit" and help people, evenings in which I enjoy doing some nice little quests - and yes: eventings, when I enjoy stupid grinding... 30-60 min can be quite nice, if you have so many opportunities...

I left UO because of work, marriage, kids - and I came back after some years of break. I am able to compare how it was in those "hardcore" times at the end of the 1990s and the first years of the 2000s - and how it is now. I know, that my opinion won´t be very much appreciated here, but i feel it like this: UO is much better now that it was in those "glorious" days. I love it and I am happy that I came back: WITH insurance, WITH trammel, WITH grinding for deco, WITH fishing and all those things that changed the game.

That´s how I feel. UO is great, no need for more hardcore. You can get your hardcore elsehwere ;-)

eve, devil99, Mirt and 2 others like this.
  22. FrejaSP

*Smiles*
    Nothing wrong with your opinion, you love it WITH insurance, WITH trammel, I love it without. Both opinions are ok.

What is not ok is if EA try to force you to play my way or me to play your way. You are fine in Trammel and I'm fine on Siege

23. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Professional Mall Santa and Legendary Piglet
    Professional Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

Aye aye! True that!

24. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

*sigh* wish I had more time... my Siege guy is so neglected.

25. temu

temu Lore Keeper

I love these Siege player derp posts. Ultima hasn't had the feel of the wild wild west since the late 90's, maybe into the year 2000. You guys are vets, I'm sure you remember. Losing house keys, watching people loot everything in your home while they "lol". Hunting for weapons at the terathan keep and constantly having to battle against the PKs. Scores of reds sweeping the dungeons, murdering all of the people inside (which was a lot of people back then). Then, at one point we all got fed up, starting pvping, and joined in the fight, becoming the breakers instead of the broken. It was anarchy.

I'm sorry but that's long gone, and I'm willing to bet Siege isn't even close to the danger of the golden age of Ultima. I like UO on hard-mode, just like everyone else. So we go out and PvP. We pick a fight. Mage duels, ganks, faction mayhem. The server choice is becoming smaller, I grant you. But I still find real intense action on Atlantic and Great Lakes. Flag and run around the Yew moongate in the evenings when there's lots of guys around, and I can assure you it's not safe. Or pop despise and wait for the scouts to spot you.

There's still hardcore play on all the shards. It's just in the form of raw PvP, instead of worrying about a random red thrashing you outside of your home while you're mining.

Mirt and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  26. FrejaSP

I think, what I love with Siege is, we have same ruleset on all the facets. You don't have to go to fel moongates to pick a fight. You can go to towns, hunting spots, player towns, anywhere to look for a fight.
    You right, even Siege is very safe now.
    You can't get your house looted unless you give the wrong guy access to your stuff.
    You can shop somewhat safe from player vendors in New Magincia and from shops close to towns or gates. Only the thieves may tease you a little.
    We have few reds now, so you won't get killed everytime you step out of town.
    However, you still risk to get your body lootes as we don't have item insurance.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  27. temu

temu Lore Keeper

Let's assume I am a good veteran UO player on Great Lakes, and maybe Atlantic. I can mage duel (to my ability) , fight dexers, know how to wall/field, and can cross heal. To play on Siege I have to spend how much time to work a 7x character? And then I am up against the veterans of Siege, who have 2-8 years of insane amounts of gear to throw away?

So are you starting to see that when you put down people who play other shards, you are really not seeing the big picture?

I am sure that you think you are above all of us "trammel" and "boring and safe" players. But really, I think that YOU are bored.
    Please tell me you do not wait and pray that someone finds you in "towns, hunting spots, player towns, anywhere to look for a fight".
    I have ran around Siege. Ghost town.

28. FrejaSP

I'm very sorry if you feel I put down players who play other shards, I never wanted to do that.
    I was only saying, normal shards is not for me, I don't feel like home there.
    Yes we are not alot on Siege but we are a nice community, who help each others.
    And yes, I would love to see more players on my shard. I believe you would on yours too
    What is your real problem with me being in this thread?

29. temu

temu Lore Keeper

You are super snarky. I have to admit, you're a really good troll. I would even say 7/10, because you rustled my jimmies, and led me to take action.

30. FrejaSP

Yes some of us had almost been 13 years on Siege and yes some of us do have insane amounts of stuff but old PvP gear is outdated and don't matter.
    It do not take as long to train a char as it did in old days, the daily cap for gains are gone and you will use less resources to train skills like crafting and poison. A LRC suit is cheap to get now to train magery.
    Money are not so hard to make now so if you really wanted to play Siege, that would not stop you.

What really stop players from playing Siege is:
    No recall
    Only one char slot
    Can't place a house without giving up their old one or get a new account.
    Fear for losing their items with no Item insurance
    Bad rumers about skill gain being so slow
    Bad rumers about dying all the time

Now Siege is not for all and if you are happy on your shard, you should stay there.

Why do you think we try to draw more players to our shard, we miss the days, where we could find players everywhere.
    Trying to promote Siege is not trolling even when some of you may find it annoying.

Am I sneaky? I may be, I try to stay on subject in the thread I post in and sneak in a little info about Siege.
    I do love UO and many of our issues are the same as on normal shards and if a changes work on both Siege and the rest of UO I will fight to wake up EA to make the changes.
    On the other hand, when I see a changes comming, that will hurt Siege, I will fight too, to make EA remember their step child of a shard called Siege Perilous.

Ludes and QueenZen like this.