1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

changes need to be made with spellweaving focus..

Discussion in 'UHall' started by aarons6, Oct 25, 2009.

1. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

its hella hard to get a stupid focus.. specially a high level one.. witch makes this skill almost useless unless you have 4 accounts with gm spell weavers :(

2. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Made ridiculously easy now that soulstones have no timer.

1. Soulstone Spellweaving off of your character completely
    2. Get 5 other people
    3. Cast Arcane Circle in Britain.
    4. Enjoy an easily-obtained Level 6 Focus.

3. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

im not sure this will work without doing the quest on each of those chars?

4. mjolnir131

mjolnir131 Guest

when he says people he means humans and nope any 5 humans work

5. pacific lily

pacific lily Guest

so if it's that "ridiculously easy" why shouldn't they just change it so you don't have to go to the trouble of finding 5 people at WBB or some other arcane circle? I've never read any good argument against it, just plenty of people offering some solution that sort of goes against the spirit of having the weavers all stand in the circle and get a focus, as if that's an actual solution to the problem.

lily

6. Xalan Dementia

Xalan Dementia Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

if ya dont know any other weavers than ya just gotta use the skill with no focus, its still quite useful. there is no problems whatsoever with spellweaving at the moment so no need for changes.

7. MyAlterEgo

MyAlterEgo Guest

Bump for justice, get the change done UO Devs Please!

8. Shelra

Shelra Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

In my experience on Chessy, people will show up for a focus when asked in global chat, I always do even when I don't need one - I don't think the wait time is that long altogether, generally.

9. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Agreed. that was probably the Sole reason I decided I'd Never do that skill. I play at odd times and moments. I'm not taking a penalty because I can't find a group. I figured it was just more of that 'forced play style' they implemented, no thanks. If enough people didn't use it, they'd change it, until then... you'll play as they dictate.

10. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

if you cant find 4 other people that have a human character to stand on the wbb circle for you for 10 seconds, then you need to work on your people skills.

11. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Have you tried a call in general chat? I often see such a call on Europa and I don't think the caller has ever failed to get a response.

12. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Alternatively, if you can't find four other people, maybe it's time to find a new shard or MMORPG, lol. But yeah, like Shel and Petra said, just ask in global and peeps will come eventually. A level 6 lasts what, 8 hours?

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Firstly, having several players coming together to cast arcane circle and having the strength of the focus be determined by the number of people in that circle is a core design of the spellweaving skill.

You are asking for a change to a core element of spellweaving. Without offering a good alternative, I don't think the devs will even consider it. However, for folks that plays odd hours, this does pose a problem.

So what does the OP recommend?

Now, remember that the strength of the focus is determined by the number of people in the circle. So allowing a single caster to create a level 5 or 6 focus by oneself doesn't make sense, they might as well give everyone a level 6 focus just by logging on.

How do you balance between practicality and having things handed to you on a silver platter? Because taken to the extrme, handing things to players on a silver platter can also take the fun out of things.

14. WarUltima

WarUltima Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

SW is powerful enough to warrent the inconvience.
    What if a supplementry is required to achieve focus level? Especially if the skill is uncommon I can see more people would come here and QQing about it.

Its like magery needs eval and myst needs focus.
    Just make GM item ID required for a passive focus 6 so it doesn't favor dexer nor casters.
    Oh and remove arcane circle functionality altogether.

Happy now? Or more QQing?

15. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You might even accidentally make a friend or two. *shrugs*

16. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

doesnt matter what race and just need everyone to be 0-20 skill
    you get a +6 str gem that lasts a long time.
    I dont see why pvper's and pkers dont get this boost all the time.

Lorddog

17. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

All Good PvPers do get a level six before any fight, they've also completed the SW quest and have a book with attunement and gift of renewal.

18. Elden of Baja

Elden of Baja Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I take it all good PvPers are either human or have spell weaving....... :mf_prop:

19. [JD]

[JD] Guest

use global chat, its really not such a big deal. no change to sw needed.

20. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Yes

21. Elden of Baja

Elden of Baja Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I beg to differ, although I do play a human character and never an elf in pvp, and I do have the spell weaving quest on all my human pvpers, I don't have spellweaving on any of my gargoyles.

Although I am thinking about it.......

22. gortman

gortman Sage
    Stratics Veteran

This is a little OT, but as long as a garg or elf has completed the quest to get the SW book, they can still add to the focus even if they are at 0 SW skill, right?

23. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

Yes the max allowed skill difference is +- 20.
    Therefore a human (effectively 20.0 SW skill) can create/receive focus crystal with others with a SW skill as low as 0 and as high as 40.0

Elves and Gargs with 0 SW skill can create/receive focus crystal with others with SW skill from 0 to 20.0.

So there shouldnt be any QQing about how they cant get focus especially soulstone has no timer and any character in game can give you focus. And the focus lasts for whooping 6 hours. Heck even trial account characters can get you focus circle *hint hint*.

So again stop QQing and learn to play.

24. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

People don't even need the spellweaving quest or the book to count for the focus, if the person doing the focus has under 20 skill you can have a bunch of newly created elves on the circle with 0 skill each and it counts. I find it hard to believe people have a hard time getting 5 people to do it at brit bank, we do it on siege all the time, just grab a few crafters and other characters in your guild to stand there for you.

25. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

It is hard getting a focus on Origin. I would like an alternative so those on lesser populated shards can get a level 6 focus, even if it lasts a shorter duration.

-OBSIDIAN-

26. Jordy

Jordy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I personally have had problems getting a focus, especially in the mornings on a weekday when school is in and the masses are at work. In the evenings and on weekends, it's rarely an issue because people are constantly logging in and asking in general for a focus. Unless I'm completely unavailable, I'll pop over to help with a focus even if I have one, just because I know what a pain it is.

A couple weeks ago at our Chesapeake House of Commons meeting I asked if it would be possible to place an arcane circle at Luna Bank. I mean, people are just standing around there anyway, it would be ideal. You would have thought that I asked if it would be possible to flay the flesh from Queen Dawn. I got a long rant from one of the EM's explaining to me why there is an arcane circle at WBB (which in no way explained why one could NOT be placed at Luna) and then rebuttal from other players who said it was already too easy to get a focus.

I don't think the SKILL needs to be fixed, but I honestly think having a simple arcane circle on the floor in the center of Luna Bank would not only help the weavers, it would make the bland bank have some style!

27. Zyon Rockler

Zyon Rockler Guest

The average that you get is 3 people. So, unless you know people, it's very difficult to get a level 6. I think once a group of people have received the arcane circle focus they no longer find it necessary to do the focus. So, obviously there is not enough incentive and it really doesn't work to bring people together.

I think they should add up to a level 10 focus. Remove the 40 skill sway, make a 120 skill character, important, by giving them more than just a timed bonus. At 120 credit them as 2 people, at 100 as 1, and anything under that a BIG FAT ZERO...Make arcane empowerment last longer based on skill.

Add some type of tameable that the spellweaver can work with that has spellweaving, so that if they are on the circle, they count as a weaver, depending on its' skill 1 to 2. This pet should be controlable without the taming skill and rideable, similar to the CU but uses weaving as far as healing and casts minor spells or one that is more powerful that requires taming skills.

28. covert

covert Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Off times on Chesapeake are hard to get decent focus in my experience.

Such an unwarranted abrasive comment, especially when the only real suggestion you proposed was to make trial accounts every time you want focus. Now that's silly.

29. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

Hmm really? I play cheesy too. Everytime we say come to brit real quick for a circle 6 focus in vent we easily get *more than* 5 people every single time. So hmm make some friends? or learn to play?

It's so silly because other than your QQing about focus circle the only solution you can came up with is QQing some more on uhall.

There are already posters telling you to make some friends and SS skill off ect, why should I repost their ideas? You refused to stop QQing and refused to L2P and yet the one and only true solution (with the current system) for the social rejects that dont have *any* friends is to create "Free" trial accounts and DIY your Circle 6 SOLO style. What else you need to know so you would stop QQing?

You can
    1. L2P and make some friends or join a guild.
    2. L2P and SS off your SW skill and ask for help on general chat.
    3. L2P and create x FREE trial accounts once every 15 days.
    4. L2P and PAY for 5 accounts total.

People already told you to do 1 and 2 and you refused to listen then I gave you idea 3 and your QQing continued. So I guess you can do 4... will that option be good enough to ease up on your tears? :confused:

30. i think that arcane focus' strength should depend on the skill %, like for every 20% in the skill should yield an increase in focus for the caster.
    20% - level 1
    40% - level 2
    60% - level 3
    80% - level 4
    100% - level 5
    120% - level 6

however, creating a focus alone should have a short duration, like at max 20 minutes. the more people in the circle when a focus is created, the longer the duration. extra people in the circle also will increase the focus like currently, so an arcanist with 100% skill can reach level 6 with just one other arcanist, while a 40% skilled arcanist can reach level 6 with four people in the circle.

31. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

QQing...QQing? QQing!

(L2P)

32. [JD]

[JD] Guest

they could get the focus but wouldnt have skill to cast anything right? so maybe some jewels :)

33. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You can beg to differ all you want, but it doesn't make me any less right.

If I play with someone and they can't put on attunement or GoR before we push a grinder, then they get muted in vent and become the last person on my list of Xheal priorities.

34. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

everyone hates me, and i get level 6 everyday

35. puni666

puni666 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

The focusing crystal is a pointless hindrance imo. The power of your spells should be based on the value of your skill that's how everything else in this game works. It should be removed. Much like the necessity for having lumberjacking to give you a minimum bonus for using axes. You should just get the bonus anyways w/o the extra BS (Like maces damage stamina w/o having to invest an extra 100 skill points).

36. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

Exactly hence why I suggested an additional supplementary skill requirement for SW. You know kinda like magery needs eval... Necro needs SS, and Mysticism needs focus.

37. Zyon Rockler

Zyon Rockler Guest

I think there's more to it than just matching it with skill as far as the power of the spell. I think one of the problems is, it doesn't have enough incentive for people to get together. I can understand people wanting a skill that makes them more powerful and when they have the 120, wanting it to be worth it.

The thing is that once you hit the circle, people don't care what you do or where you're going or what you're going to do with your new power and you're not powerful enough for people to say, "We need a spell weaver."

When I first heard about spellweaving, I pictured people standing in a circle chanting and then some kind of boost filling them with power. Then having spells that were more powerful because they were together. So, kind of a radius circle that would be broken if someone left or was no longer in that radius, Hence the word "Focus." What happens is, people get their focus and go on their own, which kind of throws off the logic.

Even at the end of your spellweaving training, there really are no spells that inter-connect and become charged by the number of people who have focused their power. For example: A party of 10 spellweavers do the circle and an icon appears. You click the icon and target a spawn or enemy, a circle glow appears underneath and as others in the focus lock on, the icon shows a number of power, now any spell that is cast, releases the energy of the focus on that target. That was my impression.

38. puni666

puni666 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Doing that though would mean the SW spells would need a complete make over. Nothing deals damage for weaving spells besides WoD at a certain point for monsters lol. I could see adding a skill if all the spells did some sort of significant damage. 100 or 120 skill is fine for slowing someone's casting by -6 and dealing 7 cold damage.

39. gortman

gortman Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I'm having visions of Aes Sedai!

40. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

The devs already made it "easy" enough by placing an arcane circle at WBB.
    Don´t be spoiled.

To me the level X focus should be considered a bonus. If you can get one, great. If not, you´ll have to use the skill as it is.

And please, no arcane circle in Luna...

41. covert

covert Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Are you always such an overbearing dickhead?

An entire skill is hindered greatly without other people and that would have been fine when this game was a little more ripe with activity. If you're not on during normal play times then you're mostly out of luck. As the game sits now, it's poor design and no amount of "L2P" (can't believe anyone still playing UO would use a childish term) can cure that.

To humor you, though:

1. L2P and make some friends or join a guild. - I've got friends that play during normal hours. I'm not always on at normal hours.
    2. L2P and SS off your SW skill and ask for help on general chat. - Not everyone has soulstones and the game definitely shouldn't be weighed around that.
    3. L2P and create x FREE trial accounts once every 15 days. - Like I said before, this is silly and only someone using asinine logic, at best, would suggest it.
    4. L2P and PAY for 5 accounts total. - See number 3.

42. puni666

puni666 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Well see getting rid of the focus and only basing the spells on skill would mean that people that only get enough skill to cast winds 100% of the time will not get the full effects of massive range and casting reduction from the spell like they do now just getting a level 6 focus. You'd need 120 skill to get the effects of a level 6 wind. 100 would be a level 5 80 level 4 60 level 3 40 level 2 20 level 1. Simplification in a good way :D

43. Jordy

Jordy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

If that's the case, then all of the casting skills should have the same requirement. Mages, Necros and Mystics are able to cast based on skill. But Weavers have it "easy enough" when we have to spam and beg until enough other weavers show up that we can use our skill.

And yea, Luna is so perfect now, an arcane circle would ruin it, right?

44. Maybe if there was a quest you could do and the reward would be something to stand in place of a person in the circle. (so if 3 people do the quest they can get a 6 circle) It is impossible to get a focus on my red character. NO ONE will circle at fel brit even though there's guards. This way it would still be based around teamwork but you would need 3 people to get a full focus not 6.

45. puni666

puni666 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Atm I just stone off my skill and have 4 unskilled guildies stand in the circle with me. Then go restone the skill on.

46. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I'm often informed of a circle happening at brit bank, our guild arcanists turn up at brit bank only to find people are doing it in trammel (where none of us can go), perhaps if people didn't exclude half the shard by doing it in tram you'd get more people.

47. unified

unified Guest

I am filled with excitement! I was waiting for an example like Care Bears Rulez gave. Reds are hard-pressed to find a circle. And, while you use the trick I have had to use sometimes and get unskilled friends to form a circle, why should you have to?

I play on GL and rarely have a problem getting a level 6 during its busiest times. But sometimes I am one of two people waiting upwards of an hour for others during non-peak hours. I simply make do and hardly ever use the skill since the timeouts are too quick and the cooloff times are too long. :mad:

48. unified

unified Guest

I was actually in Fel last week doing a T-Map when I saw a call for a circle. I immediately hopped over to WBB in Fel and found no one there. At first, I thought it was some kind of trap until I realized that it must be in Tram.

Sad really. I have no In-game friends, and my mom and I play together almost all the time. Using my two computers with a total of four clients running plus my mom to make five, I am able to get a level six after stoning SW. But, to be honest, the skill is not really worth that kind of effort.

I guess the Devs assumed the skill would be as popular as Imbuing and everyone would have it, and that we'd all be holding hands skipping towards a dungeon in a merry band all pumped up on Arcane fumes. :pint:

49. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Another of the many reasons why a Fel channel for folks in Fel, a Trammel channel for the folks in Trammel, and a general channel you can join if you want cross-facet chat, would be useful...

I agree spellweaving is meant to be a 'communal' exercise, so should bring in people - though the suggestion of bringing in a bunch of trial account characters technically works, for me it's rather too 'gamey' a way of getting something done in UO, and also means you never need contact anyone at all, so doesn't help the socialising aspect either.

Maybe, if the problem is only being able to get 3-4 folks there for the focus, something like the 'Personal Assistant' tokens could let you get a 'Spellweaving assistant' - like existing token NPCs you'd only be able to have one, make it match your weaving skill so it's useful for the circle, but otherwise it has no effect on play? Still removes the need for a person, but I think it fits within the game better than 'robots' from trial accounts.

50. jaashua

jaashua Guest

It doesn't have to be complicated. Just add new ways of gaining focus.

1) a potion based off rare ingredients
    2) a one man circle accessible only to people with certain loyalty and/or fame ratings (i.e. queen's forge)
    3) give people a phrase to speak when they are alone on an arcane circle that will give them a lvl 4 focus, but will also prevent them from grouping and acquiring a lvl 6 for a period of time
    4) double click your lvl 6 focus to convert it to a lvl 4 that doesn't expire
    5) increase the focus level by 1 for each 15 minutes somebody is continuously inside an arcane circle.