1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Changes to skill gain?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Pinco, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Last publish has changed something on skill gain:
    When you are training skills from 0 to 20 usually you have a free accelerated skillgain. Now this quick training 0-20 has been removed and your skillgain is normal (0.1 per gain).

So beware newbies, now raise a skill from 0 will takes more time :(

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

hmm, what about 20 - 40? Very few people train 0 - 20 unless they're on Siege. They buy the skill to around 30.

3. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

well, not everyone gonna buy skills there are many cheap people around, and that was a nice way to reach 20 skill points :p

4. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

200 gold? sorry, but NOONE's THAT cheap - lol

5. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

not a veteran player, but try to start with a new account, 1k gold and no knowledge of the game, then 200 gp are not few coins...

6. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

That's what I thought was the most challenging, start a new toon on a different shard, know no-one w/ no friends or help. Being a vet w/ a full set of developed chars, we get really spoiled

7. Lorax_Pacific

Lorax_Pacific Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

What bugs me about it is you have to do something that gets you in the sweet spot of a success. I started with 0 for tactics, anatomy, and swords and thought I would go to fight a creature that was easy to kill like lizard men or whatever. Nope no skill gain you have to start with pigs and bears or critters.

-Lorax

8. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

I can remember when starting players would eagerly grab anything that was discarded at a bank and go and sell it for gold. Having been around, you get really spoiled.

9. covert

covert Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I'm pretty sure it wasn't always this way, but I can't be sure how far back you'd have to go for it to not be true. I'd guess whenever they changed so that fails on skillcheck no longer gave points - somewhere around there.

That's a pretty odd change, though, Pinco. Are the gains even slow on New Haven island?

10. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

I've tried with a training dummy with 0 wrestling. I gain 0.1 at time, same rate as always but only 0.1. Before the publish I was able to gain like when you have an alacrity scroll active until you reach 20 skill.
    The location doesn't change the amount... unless you are in new player quest in old haven...

11. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

I just tested this with a new Elf character on Atlantic, and from 0 was regularly seeing .4 and .5 gains .... Even went to Ilsh to be sure it was nothing to do with Haven training zones!

Was your character a human Pinco?

12. THP

THP Stratics Legend

errrrr even the newist of player can make very easy gold very quick,,,and i think they are more than happy to buy 30+ skill for like 300 gold coins.....

totally disagree...even buying 30 skills...the start training u are gaining 0.2-0.3 every quick indeed????? skills like carpentary and alchemy can be gmed well within a week at 2-3 hours a day..... are u sure u were not on siege????

13. @Covert: The AOS dev crew changed it, just before power hour. Before that, we could train all the fighting skills all the way from 0 to GM at the Jhelom pits. They also put in that 8x8 crap. As I recall, the reasoning at the time was that if skills were made a lot harder to GM, we wouldn't lose interest in the game and quit. Of course, it had just the opposite effect. Part of the problem seems to be that the whole AOS crew was in love with Diablo, and tried their best to make UO into a Diablo clone. When your dev crew admits they play a competing game all of their spare time, it should be a good indication that something is VERY wrong somewhere.

14. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

yes, a human character vs a training dummy player crafted.

15. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

My guess is this is a bug, and should be reported.

16. Having been around since The Second Age, I think it could be even slower. But sounds like a bug having been playing around New Haven recently.

17. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

I'm inclining to 'bug, maybe related to the human JOAT ability'....

18. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I dimly remember something about reduced gain chances while using a dummy...

19. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

is the same with focus... so it's not just the dummy...

20. Nine Dark Moons

Nine Dark Moons Certifiable

i tested it too and with an elf was getting everything 0.2 to 0.5 gains up to 25.0, training eval intel.

21. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

so it's a human problem... unless the garg have the same problem too :D