1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Cheers to Mythic Entertainment

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Yellow Beard, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Yellow Beard

Stratics Veteran

Anyone familiar with the introduction of Age of Shadows can recall the nightmare of its release. The incredible lag, bugs that affected litterally all parts of the release and hours of waiting for a GM only to get a canned response. The release of SA is as refreshing as it is awesome. Few bugs, some lag but overall a total success. Thank you developers for a job well done. I don't see how anyone can get bored for a long time to come.:thumbsup:

2. Before and after AOS also saw UO at it's highest population plus opened massive land for house placement, both of which were lacking in this expansion. I don't think this was a great success on the Devs part.

3. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Well you'd think theyd have it down by now. Not to mention probably only half the players logging on all at once helped as well.

4. Yellow Beard

Stratics Veteran

Don't confuse Mythic with the development of AOS. That was done by OSI now no longer developing UO. Kingdom reborn was the first development by mythic and SA is the improvement on that development.

5. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

If shard populations are down why would they need to open up a ton more land for hose placement?

6. canary

canary Guest

LOL! Uhm... wow, where to begin? You DO know that lots of housing is available on pretty much every shard atm, right? :thumbdown:

7. Paps

Paps Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

We need all the hoses we can get :p

8. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Have you been to Ter Mur?

The word "ton" hardly describes the 10 or so plots that are available for placing houses in.

9. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Why did you quote something then say exactly the same point but in a patronising manner? :thumbdown:

10. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

That's exactly my point. Re-read the post I quoted. Here, let me point it out.
    He's saying that SA was lacking open land for house placement. My point is that we don't need more room for house placement. Next time I'll be less subtle.

11. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

SA was started before Mythic took over, they just happen to be the production studio du jour for UO at the moment.

And quite frankly, I miss the days of OSI - Dev team that actually told us what they were working on instead of holding onto every scrap of information like it was a trade secret. The creator of Ultima still poking his nose in to say "Hi!"

*sigh*

12. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I disagree.

13. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I believe this expasion is all Mythic.

14. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well, I'll say Mythic is a lot better at communication than most of the EARS days, and a lot of the EA Austin days. Origin was pretty good up until Designer Dragon left; that was the turning point in Origin's communication and design ability.

And... while Origin might have been better at communication, they certainly had nothing by the way of industry standard practices going on. I mean, how in the bloody hell do you lose assets like the original production artwork? Shouldn't that have been backed up a few dozen times and placed in multiple safe spots?

15. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

:thumbup:

for SA.

-Galen's player

16. Zooithion

Zooithion Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Cheers indeed!

I've been having a blast. Well done. A bit late but well done :)

17. Cardell

Cardell Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

:thumbdown:

The expansion was ok,, but they ****ed the factions up so bad with this bull**** point system, they get perma thumbs down for ever.

:thumbdown: one more for the hell of it.

18. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

UO moved to Mythic after KR was launched in June 2007. SA was originally KR-only, thus logic dictates that SA was nearing completion as an expansion at that time. (again, KR only)

Honestly, that does beg the question of what have they been doing for two years? Yes the move across the country seriously impacted development and held things back. "Redoing" SA content/land/art for 2D and remaking the Enhanced Client took some time.. But still.. Two years?

The OSI team had far better communication as a team then the current one does. They gave us a list of what they were working on, sans exploits, and kept us relatively updated. Yes, the dreaded "Coming Soon" was coined during this period - and still remains a Dev Team cop out.

Communication now seems to only come in the form of repetitive FoFs, the return of the UOHoC, and the odd post here on Stratics by two or three people. Players have brought up valid issues with the game and both clients, and have received little to no (usually no) response or acknowledgement. A simple "yeah, we know this is an issue - working on it!" would placate people.

The posts by the producer don't even pin anything down, or have any real information. Even though he mentioned vet rewards and such, they missed the 12th Anniversary - just like the 11th - just like the 10th... Not even a simple post on the Herald. That smacks of apathy.

Losing the art assets is a completely different can of worms, and is unforgivable by a corporate entity. How they managed that still boggles the mind.