1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Content

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Righteous, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Righteous

Righteous Guest

Has anyone heard when we should expect Holiday content or if we are going to get Holiday content at all since all of the layoffs and UO being put into Maitenance Mode.

Righteous

2. DHMagicMan_1

DHMagicMan_1 Guest

Since there was just Thanksgiving content I'm betting there will be something for Christmas... Keep an eye out around the weekend of the 19th or 20th... I think it usually starts around then.

3. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I am sure it will be called Holiday content not Christmas content due to pc madness.

4. Tazar

Tazar Guest

It's Warhammer that was put into Maintenance Mode... Not UO!

Christmas is coming "soon".

Patience is the lost 9th virtue!

5. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I never could fathom the term politically correct. How, is saying holiday instead of "Christmas" political??

I know it's used as not to "offend" anyone, ......how does one get offended by a word?.....does it give them headaches?, Nausea??.....or are they that psychologically unbalanced that a simple word does damage.......ed at 5 to say the sticks n stones rhyme, and I've been good since.

Now, Christmas content, an abominable snowman, like the turkeys would rock.
    Evil elfs??....wait that's not being pc.

have a cup of good cheer......:pint:

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

If you can have your Christmas content I want my Hannukah and Kwanza content.

7. Green Mouser

Green Mouser Guest

I hope we get critters & quests. Enough with the packaged goods.

8. LadyKeroOfAtl

LadyKeroOfAtl UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
    Stratics Veteran

Christmas is religion, which gets thrown into the group of political nonsense of renaming things to not show any one religion favor.

Anyway, while we're on it, I want Yule/Solstice goodies then =P

9. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

Are you blind? Maintenance mode? FOR REAL? After the Thanksgiving event just got done.......

wow.

10. Righteous

Righteous Guest

Re: Holiday Content

Let me rephrase "do you think the holiday content will be delayed or cancelled due to the layoffs and company restructuring".

And I could have sworn one of the statements I read about the layoffs from EA stated that all MMORPG's where going into a maintenance mode. Yes I truelly do appreciate that they where able to get the Thanksgiving content out on time. But I believe that content was near completion before the layoffs occured.

I hope the current lean mean UO content team can keep exciting and inventive content coming until the economy turns around and they can restaff.

I have and always will appreciate all the hard work the UO team does to keep the game alive and intresting enough that I want to continue playing. Keep up the great work guys and gals. :thumbup:

Righteous.

11. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I'm excited! I hope we get a small teaser about the content!!

12. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Come to think of it, let's celebrate the first day of the Coptic and Ethiopian Calendars.. the celebrations would be amazing.

13. Katrena

Katrena Sage

I predict a Giant Santa with a bag full of toys. If you can kill it, you get a special toy. If it kills you, then it takes one of your toys. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Katrena

14. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

There is a teaser in the Cliloc files, be afraid.

"Santy"

*shudders*

15. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

If Santy says "Ho ho ho" I'm going to page on him for harassing my wife.

16. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Be cool if he was like an evil Santa... named Santa Claws. *grins*

17. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Me too! I would love a yule-log that burns.

On a side note, the Halloween, Thanksgiving and hopefully the holiday content has more than likely been done for months, it just needs to hit the production shards to see any large scale use bugs that have been overlooked. Valentines etc. may get lean if they haven't been completed yet.

18. wrekognize

wrekognize Guest

I bet most people here celebrate Christmas. If you don't, then you can enjoy the event with us. If they run a Hannukah only event, then i'll enjoy that one...and Celebrate Christmas in real life. I'm not going to cry about it.

19. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I stick by my idea of a santa champ spawn :D

20. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah

Yes, the world has gone mad with polical correctness. Which, oddly enough, only extends to minority populations it seems and is not 'equal'.

For example - in America you can make a movie called 'White Men can't jump' and no one bats an eye other than a passing chuckle.

Now if you mad a movie called 'Black men can't swim' and it would be race riots abound and we'd need the national guard to restore order.

Our society has gone mad........

21. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

So should I not expect a deformed two story Santa Clause roaming the lands needing to be put down? :-(

22. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I would like nativity scene statues, Baby Jesus etc but I guess that would not be permitted.

23. Lord Gareth

Only if the Engineer from Sakkarah's Blog can make it......

Engineer: Nah, they aren't too big!
    Sakkarah: Dude, seriously, compare their size to her head!
    Engineer: They're not... errr... oh wow!
    Sakkarah: Told ya!
    Engineer: Bah, still looks fine.
    Admin and Sakkarah: *roll eyes and mumble something like "typical male"*

24. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Jesus was born in July,.Christian holidays took over the pagen one to be more accepable.

25. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

To true.

26. Lord Gareth

Well first its spell Hanukkah and second off its spell Kwanzaa. Third and final I applaud you on your attempt to troll.

27. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

It's only a troll if you think UO is a Christian game.

28. altarego

altarego Guest

Fourthly, I love pedants. Especially when they say its (which is a possessive adjective) instead of it's (which is a contraction of the neutral pronoun and a passive descriptive verb form).

29. Capt.E

Capt.E Guest

+1 to the grammer flame war. Has anyone kept records of how many of these threads turn into this?

30. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Guest

You forgot to attack him for forgetting the -ed on what he meant as "spelled" - he typed "spell" instead.

It's SPELLED spelled. ;)

31. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Guest

GrammAr.

32. edda

edda Guest

I vote for this :thumbup:

33. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Some of you seem to be under the illusion that complaining about the use of "Holiday" instead of "Christmas" is any less annoying or pathetic than you believe the complaining that lead to such decisions is.

Does it even matter what it's called?
    If everyone else can suck it up and deal with it being called Christmas, then you can just as easily suck it up and deal with it being called "Holiday"

34. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

QFT - I like to use holiday so I don't have to address each holiday by name... "Happy Holidays" I think is a respectful way to wish someone good cheer and not unintentionally offend any particular religion or culture. To each their own I guess.

35. sayler04

sayler04 Guest

Since when is Britannia a christian nation? I havn't seen any churches around, maybe we're confusing it with Britain, the country.

There are certainly the trappings of several religions, however. There are priests (of mondain), a minister (of trade), shamans of several races, magi (xmas reference?), monks, a few priestesses (i think), and plenty of shrines. Funny how there are no rabbis, sadly.

In fact, the only winter holiday game content that seems in any way connected to a spiritual holiday is "the light of the winter solstice". And given that most mainstream religions would condemn any brittainian for using magic (not to mention necromancy), for seeking resurrection in a real sense, and for tons of other infractions, isn't it a bit absurd to assume that Christmas is the natural in-game observance?

So how about we each celebrate our own winter madnesses in our own way, without trying to shove terminology down one another's throats?

And honestly, considering that I'm currently riding a giant blue dog through a nest of ant men for the purpose of getting a pink seed from a famous naturalist that has no memory whatsoever of my hundreds of other visits, this entire train of thought seems a bit ludicrous.

36. OxAO

OxAO Guest

UO IS a pagan game. UO is an extremely bias game religiously.

The runes, writings and symbolism in the game are all pagan.

Get used to it.

37. Fluffi

Fluffi Slightly Crazed

... as we seem to be playing the grammar Nazi game... "biased". :stir:

38. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

or spelt (ref: linky)

just could not resist ... do I get a point in this game?

39. Corwin

Corwin Guest

HEY!!
    Can we get back to the CONTENT part???
    Any ideas for this year? More Holiday cards? More special gift packaging? Holiday stuffys? Different candy? A new tree? Different snowmen? Penguins?

40. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

We already got the "Light of the Winter Solstice" years back.. that should be enough.

41. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

snow that I could sprinkle where I'd like :)

42. christy1221

christy1221 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I'd like that. I would sprinkle some in my keep since I can't customize it with snow.

43. Scarst

Scarst Lore Master
    Governor Stratics Veteran

*Forgets what this thread is actually about after reading the posts*
    *looks back up at thread title* Oh yeah

I want a hat it doesn't have to be a santa hat, it could be a fedora, or derby, or Yamaka, or a beanie I don't care actually I retract the yamaka part seeing as then you'd see PvPers with the on over their gold 2-tails hair cut and it would look awful. Not to mention |337 speak Yiddish must be a pain to understand.

Although I'd be happy if they gave players a bless item deed or brought back certain creatures like silver steeds or something those are Christmasy right?

A snowball cannon would he cool too, you'd pack it with all your snow you've accumulated over your 12 years and you would target someone and it would shoot that many balls in quick succession at the guy (couldn't be used in felluca) and the other person would have to have snow on them.

I'd have a 125 shot cannon image the havoc I could wreak.

44. Dai FHA

Dai FHA Guest

After the awesome turkeys we had for thanksgiving, I was kinda hoping for killer reindeer :). Happy Holidays to all

45. sayler04

sayler04 Guest

How about tamable rideable reindeer that can fly like gargoyles and give the rider night sight (owing to the red nose)?

46. RedRum

RedRum Sage
    Stratics Veteran

My thread from 05 December, 2008
    http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=115090

Now this would be pretty awesome for UO to offer a Christmas Mount of some sort (maybe Donner/Blitzen/Rudolph/??) that had:
    1.) Accessible pack while riding/mounted.
    2.) Could be on the same lines as a Charger and rideable by anyone.
    3.) When dismounted and its pack emptied you can double click it and have it go into your pack (like a boat).
    4.) Make it a reduced capacity (25 items and 500stones)
    5.) NON lootable and NON killable
    6.) However, once the rider/owner is dismounted or dead, a Thief can steal items if GM Snooping AND GM Stealing.
    7.) If, by chance, your character gets the RARE Rudolph, his nose lights your way like a torch or candle.

I got the idea from an email I got today from Age of Conan:
    "Purchase Age of Conan now and ride into battle in style on your free in-game Snow Mammoth!
    To further aid you through the barbaric lands of Hyboria, you also get the Bag of the Mammoth Rider to increases your inventory slots. These items are available to all the characters you create."

47. edda

edda Guest

Totally up for killer reindeer

48. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

49. Miss Smoocher

Miss Smoocher Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

after the thanksgiving contest that i won still waiting on my winings ;):eyes: but your al more then welcome to swing by my homes and take a look pics do nothing for it its a must visit

50. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

I'd much rather a pegasus, or something vaguely more convincing than an arbitrarily magically flying reindeer.
    Especially since such creatures aregenerally considered seasonal, since no one really cares about reindeer when there's not some immediate cultural depiction of a squadron of them dragging an overweight guy around in a similarly arbitrarily flying sleigh.

Make them ethies, that only work in December, and other more general flying mounts, and that would work.
    Of course, then the next step would be tinker-crafted flying machines, since they already have the winged Vollem. Then, in five years time, there'll be the "Ultima Online: To the Moon!" expansion.

Huh... A little off topic, there :-/