1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Classic Shard Please

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Acebeans, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Acebeans

Acebeans Guest

I was linked here to another thread a bout a classic shard that was 26 some pages long but sadly it was locked. I registered on this forum just to show my support for a classic shard so I can't leave without making a post.

I think that EA would be shocked how many people would come back for a classic shard, it wouldn't be one shard, they would have to open several.

I play Darkfall now and there are a huge number of Darkfall players that really want a classic UO shard. Long onto DF NA at anytime and you will see chat about a classic UO shard in racial chat.

People would come out of the woodwork for this. We all know a lot of player run shards that were very successful but obviously we can't name them. I'm telling you if EA released a classic shard it would be a huge success!!

Please!

2. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

3. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The Classic Shard #2 thread is still open. It's 9 pages back in the Uhall thread list.

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=205876&page=9

I've given up on seeing an AoS-free shard. I took advantage of 120 powerscrolls being available, imbued all 70's suits packed with extras for my characters, and have gone to the Dark Side. :cool:

4. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

5. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

IBTL for SOOOO many reasons.

6. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

^^ Imagine what EA could do with an extra $4,000,000 / year. More developers, more designers, more content, more events, more expansions, more GMs, more advertising, no risk of closure. The only people that would be disadvantaged would be "professional" sellers who make a living off UO.

7. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

While I wouldn't mind seeing a classic shard, I have yet to see a majority agree on what it needs to contain (or not contain) except ANYTHING pre-AOS would be nice.

Therefore I have to give this one :bdh:

8. Alvinho

Alvinho Great Lakes Forever!
    Stratics Veteran

This "classic shard" is all nostalgia, lets put this in perspective, go back and play a atari 2800, nintendo 8bit system see how long it holds your attention, same thing will happen with a classic shard it will be hot for a few months then be a deserted server, once people remember how the old says went, you would have groups of people patrolling outside towns to kill new characters and then it would be back to uninstalling it once again, making resources wasted in creating a shard, also everyone would disagree on exactly what a classic shard is, some say pub 16 some say from the very beginning there has not been a general census yet

9. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Depends on the game. I still play the old Nintendo (8-bit) Zelda and Dragon Warrior games. Megaman is still fun too. This isn't even scratching the surface of the PS1 remakes of the Final Fantasy games - I have the whole library.

Still a hell of a lot better than half of my PS3/Wii library...

10. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

ENOUGH ALREADY. there are plenty of threads on this topic.:)

11. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

This.

12. That would be up to the devs. My expectations are only that it have the game mechanics from Publish 15 Ultima Online or before.

This is why:

1. Simple weapon/armor based combat system. This system not only allows crafters to be the primary source of supplies for PvPers, but it also enables *anybody* to PvP a very short period of time after starting to play the game.

2. Functional player economy. Crafters support PvM and PvP. Players purchase weapons, armor, and supplies from crafters to support their PvM/PvP desires. These items are lost, looted, or decay on a corpse and players have to replace them. Magical weapons can be obtained from high end monsters and treasure chests...but foolish adventurers or PvPers with no skill will not get far before they are lost to another player or monster.

The fact that any crafter at GM level can supply all forms of play ensures that prices stablize rather than skyrocketing based on whatever is the latest and greatest.

3. NO INSURANCE! This is one of the most important parts. This allows both #1 and #2 to function as intended.

4. Large areas now rendered wastelands will once again become useful. The Anti-Virtue dungeons will once again be packed. If anything we'd have Ilshenar so you would have a consolided playerbase.

T2A??? Renaissance??? These arguments are worthless and provide more of a reason for them not to implement a classic shard. Regardless of all the petty arguments in these threads, whatever time period the developers select will be accepted by 95% of the people who want another time period.

Example? I support the Publish 15 ruleset because I believe it will draw the most players. Would I still play if T2A were implemented? Most definitely. I actually prefer T2A but think Post-Renaissance will draw more players.

I expect the same people that constantly attack this idea will do so in this thread as they have in all the others. It doesn't matter to me...as long as there is a classic shard.

13. Demonous

Demonous Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010

just deploy the classic shard already, enough is enough, delaying the inevitable

14. BuzZzZ

BuzZzZ Guest

People did not stop playing the SNES because Nintendo nerfed it, they stopped playing it because there was a better option.

Create a T2A shard with the exact same rule set and they can't go far wrong. Add a few new changes when needed using a poll or something.

15. Beleg Megil

Beleg Megil Guest

Can someone merge this with one of the other, more recent :bdh: threads?

16. Nothing like 3234234 threads on the same crap...

17. Llamfia

Llamfia Guest

Agreed with OP

18. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Ok this is getting out of control. You have dragged this to the dirt and even deeper so people are getting sick of seeing it. So Let a Anchient tell you the truth of the thing you ask for.

In '97 UO was born.
    Now for the truth of the "good ol days"

Where to start .. lets start houseing :
    you got:
    1 secure 125/400

15 lockdowns (beleave you me they were very much used)

All the storage after that went into non locked down crates/chests/bags 125/400

You placed the house and got a key for the door in your bag and in your bank. and you best use it! Then put it safe cause anyone and I mean anyone could take your house with that key.

Speaking of taking, you best use them 15 lockdowns to put up a barrier for people who will sneek in to rob you blind(remember you have only 1 secure)
    Stealthers/thiefs were rampant and would do their best to take your hard earned things.

Oh then there is the 7 day refresh of the house.... yes you had up to7 days to open your door to refresh the house or it went poof.

Now to the player themselfs:

You got your bank as we have now.

In creation you got 1 newbie dagger, newbie scissors, your clothes and practice wepons, regs & spell book and tools for getting you started.

The average player had in their bag:

Runes to places (no rune books sorry, oh and no necro books ether as there was no necro's)
    These were stealable too by the thiefs and lootable by reds and pks.
    You carried regs depending on if you were a mage or other who needed them and they were heavy and went fast when in fights. (Sorry no LRC suits) Band aids, scrolls.

Your weapons, shield or any other item you needed to work, and again it was all lootable and thief bait big time.

Speaking of Work:

Mining - no fire bug, no beatle, packies were not bonded so you needed to gate them to where you were going, (Hint for tamers here too NO pet was bonded you lost a dragon you went for another one) Pk's would hunt you down and kick your tail for the ore you had not to mention the armor or stuff you carried.

Lumberjack - Same as the miner you played hell getting those logs home and they came in 1 flavor - plain.

Tamer - those Greater dragons you weild now were the original animals we tamed without the fancy title, mares didnt come easy when they introed them at T2A entry. One good thing was anyone could own a drake or 2! But you kept many in your stable cause they died alot and no pet rez....

I could go on and point out the different warriors and outlines but they all nickle down to the same rules back then, NO insurance, no blessed items, no powder of fort. You got gm and that was the bomb till you were lucky to get a vanq! Then Every Thief in town went to get it from you. Not to mention every other player who wanted one too.

The good ol days were just old days when the game was in its infancy.
    The days were filled with players you met and became friends with joined the same guild and went on hunts or played server wars with. The good ol days was the people you met and got to know. Not the time... UO was new and was for adults (18 years old was the youngest allowed back then) as that computer your father had cost a bloody fortune and was rare. Think it was the dawn of the electronics age.

Classic shard oh they can make it just like before but I can guarantee you in no time that shard will be so vacant it would make Siege P look stuffed! Times have changed ladys and gentilmen what you remember is fond memorys of a era gone by.

I'd love to say Yes sure go ahead an do this but in my heart of hearts its not gunna fly.
    This is like living in a neighborhood for 18 years of your life then moving away for 20 and then visiting your original neighborhood. Things change. It cant be '97 ever again.

Sorry for showing you the truth. I loved those times and I also hated them as well.

19. Splup

Splup Guest

What I wonder is, would Classic Shard really bring that many players back...

Considering that there's popular and very good free Classic Shards around. If they don't play there, why would they start playing it when they'd have to pay for it. Since they would not even be able to use their old chars most likely.

Maybe they would, go figure.

20. Evlar

Evlar Guest

I do understand where you're coming from.

I too have played the game for many years, though not since '97, as where I lived, there was no internet available until early '99 and UO wasn't available in the shops locally. I actually bought my first copy of the game (The Second Age), on a trip to Las Vegas. I played through until just after Samurai Empire was released.

My main reasons for leaving were the split facets and AoS item-centric game play. The latter was a huge change to the game play dynamics and one which copied other similar games, notably Diablo II, which although good for their own merits, I preferred a UO that played to it's own merits.

I pretty much always kept a subscription and returned on many occasions. My longest return was actually my most recent, shortly prior to Stygian Abyss launch, up until about two months ago, when I cancelled my last account finally, only to return if a "classic" option becomes available.

Now don't get me wrong, I do like some of the changes that have been made over the years, with custom housing being perhaps the main one. It was probably the one thread that kept me from closing my account completely a lot earlier. Other minor game play changes and improvements to the UI were others. Other changes which were good, were only particularly "good" in the context of the direction the game had headed post-AoS.

The fact remains though, that I and no doubt many others, simply didn't like the major game play changes introduced. Firstly with Renaissance, creating a split world, then secondly, with Age of Shadows, which drastically altered game play into something item-centric, rather than particularly skill or character orientated. Everything else that followed from there, was a domino effect.

Although Ultima Online enjoyed a brief peak in subscription numbers after AoS launched, it's been downhill ever since, to the extent that for whatever reason now, EA won't even publish subscription figures any more. Surely even the most die-hard fans of "current" UO, must ponder why it is that so many players seem to have left the game, since that brief AoS launch heyday?

Cheating and scripting are often placed as a major reason (and rightly so), but is it not fair to say that they have only increased since AoS launched? It stands to reason that making a game item-centric, creating a need and a demand, by placing such importance in the game on items, also created an opportunity for players to farm said items for profit. I would venture that the heyday for the RMT sellers, coincided with AoS and only declined as the player base declined. When people complain about cheating and scripting, they also need to pause and consider what actually pushed it to such increased levels. My answer to that, would be everything that's followed since AoS. Cause and effect. Two very basic and fundamental principals.

I would quite happily play anything pre-AoS, or even pre-Renaissance, simply because I feel they offered more fun and more challenge. In my opinion (and it's all about opinions of course), the game was more balanced in game play dynamics, the economy, plus there were more players. Ok, so you can't recapture all the former players, but you can emulate the game dynamics of the time and the economy, which wouldn't be so negatively impacted by item-centric game play.

Much is made of the idea that "classic" shards would be a PK's paradise, if there were no Tram/Fel split a-la Renaissance. Well, I think it's agreed that PvP would be a stronger element of the activity, but it wouldn't be the sole activity. Most players who would play a "Felucca" only shard, would know what they're signing up to, just like those who play Siege do. There wouldn't be a "wolves versus sheep" situation.

Before anyone jumps on the "but Siege is dying" bandwagon, the main reason that Siege hasn't worked in the long run, is that it incorporated the post AoS item-centric game play. It's failed, because it's been maintained in a half-arsed way, that was always destined for failure. For example, you create a "need" for the better items, you then have (as per the production shards), the "need" for item insurance to preserve the efforts players make to obtain those better items. The two go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other for that type of game mechanic to work properly.

Add to that the concept of one character per account, you create a situation where players are forced into paying for more subscriptions, if they want to enjoy a variety of game play options and styles. Perhaps had Siege offered and maintained a pre-AoS, or pre Renaissance "world", we wouldn't even be having such discussions as these now.

Speaking personally though, so as not to be confused with those who appear on these boards, beating their chests about "classic" PvP...

PvP activity accounted for only a small proportion of my game play. No more than a fifth or a quarter of it. I wasn't particularly concerned about the widely reported PK'ing, simply because I didn't take it personally and I actually welcomed the random encounters and challenge that the relatively poor AI creatures couldn't. I always stood up for myself and won some, lost some. Rather than run away in blind panic, I either stood and fought, or simply talked to the opposing player.

I enjoyed the interaction required to trade. The heyday of the crafter for me, was standing at a bank to sell my wares, or at a forge to offer repairs. Yes indeed, gathering resources was often difficult and tedious, not least because of the cumbersome UI (I've never used 3rd party programmes), or the occasional loss of a pack horse, but it was all the more rewarding to know my efforts actually seemed to count for something. If not always in "wealth" of gold and items, but wealth of friendships forged with my activities.

Creatures were often difficult enough, plus the added chance of being raided, that hunting in bigger groups was more common. Players rarely hunted alone, or did so at their own peril. It was a dangerous and challenging world, which only the Champion Spawn or Peerless came close to emulating to some degree. Even then, it became possible to create "super" characters, which could eventually beat even the toughest creatures solo. Finally, when the player base spends most of it's time talking about "items" and item properties, it all gets rather boring. Even though I'm not a particular fan of "current" UO, there is indeed much more to the game than "items", yet that is what preoccupies the thoughts of a huge proportion of the players. Gone it seems are the days of fighting a monster or player, for the thrill of the fight. It seems to be more about "what can I get from the drop", or "what items will help me beat it". That's just tedious to me I'm afraid. It's also why most of the older spawns and dungeons are devoid of players. There's nothing "worth" them going there for in respect of particular items, or even items to make other items with.

But that's enough from me. There's plenty of reasons for and against and plenty of opinions. I wouldn't like to see one option done at the expense of another, but I do think there's an opportunity for both to be possible. Different people have different perspective and preferences when it comes to game play. I don't think anyone should be looked down upon because they have a preference for something another doesn't. It's a very narrow minded view to take.

For the benefit of the forums, it may be worthwhile locking any further threads like this, because they just end up a mud-slinging festival. Perhaps the moderators should simply close them, with a post and a link to the "classic" shard discussion threads.

So here's to a long life to UO in its current format, whilst equally the hope that an alternative "option" is provided, for however many people desire it, or would return to the game to play it.

:thumbup1:

21. Demonous

threads like this will continue to be created until the shard comes out... you'd be surprised how many UO players from 97-99 play darkfall now because it is very similar to the old days of UO felucca only, a lot of them would play the classic shard, and people playing free shards would try this one out if they made it, i play UO and darkfall and even though i never even played UO when it was only felucca i still want it because of my friends telling me how great the game was back then, and how much fun darkfall is now

22. Budwieser

Budwieser Guest

No horse's? Everyone is neg karma at birth? And you can't lock your house doors? I'm sure not a person calling for a classic shard will freak out about those things.

A classic shard will never happen. Let it rest.

Mods plz lock this trash!

23. slaveone

slaveone Guest

Bwhahaha PUHLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEZ!

Wonder how many stratics accounts with 1-10 posts "this" guy has................

24. Evlar

Evlar Guest

By the same slanted logic, perhaps the same number as there are of people supposedly happy with "current" UO, yet spend half of their time complaining about it on these very forums?

:sad2:

25. Demonous

then why did they talk about it on uo.com if it will never happen? mounts have always existed in the game fyi

26. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

You are aware of that UOs system was just a copy of dozens of fantasy/action RPGs?

27. You are aware that UO's system is still a copy of dozens of fantasy/action RPGs? If it's going to be a copy, it may as well be a unique copy in modern gaming.

Classic Shard ftw!

28. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

UO was never unique.

29. slaveone

slaveone Guest

Fixed that for you...

30. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

That old 'Classic Shard' can never return. The players whose characters were there in 1997 for the PKers to hunt will stay on a Tram shard. The people who loved stealing in seconds what another player had worked hours, days, or weeks, for will find the lack of victims a letdown as well.

The 'Classic Shard' will be no more populated than the fel facets are now. Heck, they will be less populated because there wouldn't be a Tram for people to visit fel from.

The only plus that a 'Classic Shard' would have over what fel is these days, is that it would be A0S-free.

31. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

I too started with Second Age (Dec 1998). Splitting of the world - especially the manner of implementation was wrong. Leading up to it were several outstanding suggestions which were totally ignored by the Devs of that era.

AOS was the telling blow to UO as I knew it ... and I agree 100% with your itemization/Diablo statements. I left within 2 months of AOS release for DAoC. Only after almost a year did I even really consider coming back ... because DAoC had become a serious level-grind that I chose not to continue. I did have a pretty good Theurgist, tho. <shrug>

I don't ever recall that EA/Origin (at that time) really divulged subscription numbers "officially". I recall players estimating and getting responses like "way off" or "close enough to count".

Here you go ... and I agree. As long as it is pre-AOS I will give it a shot. Even if it means I must start as a newb it's gotta be better than now. Mystery abounded when you got an item as you needed someone to lore and/ID it (Arms Lore and Item Identification for the newest players) to know anything about its abilities or condition.

I had more fun at craft faires or just hanging at the Brit Forge and learning from the "Masters" of the time. GM meant something and the effort in making them added to a players pride when wearing/using them.

I skipped Siege as I don't play on there and can't speak to what you are saying ... but this is pretty much as I recall my times pre-Ren. Yeah, I got nailed - actually claimed GM in Dirtnapping many times. I also learned how to protect my belongings from thieves and only once did I have to actually chase one down and deal with him (he stole my #$%$ freshly pruchased reagents, dammit!).

Creature spawns were more frequent and heavier. What is now Reaper Point where 6 or more Reapers spawn was essentially all over the area N and NE of Yew many times. Liches would spawn every so often in all the cemetaries. You could be waging war on a couple of Water Eles and have an orc camp spawn on top of you - including a Mage.

All during these battles, your skills and/or stats are taking a beating because you have no locks on them. Sooooo practicing Magery a lot would raise INT and the skill (maybe) and perhaps DEX or STR would drop. Maybe Eval would drop because of that .1 gain. You had to be very aware of how you handled your character - moreso than now.

I'm not the seriously vocal champion of Classic Shard like you are but much of what you state is as I consider it. I have an intense dislike for all the itemization as well as the complexities involved in just getting that right thing to use/wear.

Lastly I still think that leather armor should NEVER be as effective as plate. It just ain't right ya know? Mace weapons should destroy armor ... Resisting Spells should really resist something.

32. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

33. Budwieser

Budwieser Guest

FYI... Mounts have not always been around sir. When I started playing we all had neg karma houses and NO lock downs, and we all where on foot.

As for THEY talking about it on uo.com, I guess your right! everything they talk to us about there happens! ;)

The reason it won't happen is because everyone's idea of (classic) is diff.

34. Metalstorm

Metalstorm Seasoned Veteran

I started in Dec 97 and I recall seeing one or two people on horseback during my first week.
    Most of us newbies were on foot for the first few weeks (or months) because horses were just too expensive.

I also remember being provoked by a red bard onto a fella I was venturing with.
    I don't know who was more surprised & confused, the guy getting swacked or me swinging the sword :D

35. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

And many of the posters in the Classic Shard 1 & 2 threads had the attitude it had to be EXACTLY a certain way or forget it.

Those attitudes being more open to compromise would really improve the chances of a Classic Shard, for however long the returning players hung around at least.

36. lucitus

lucitus UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Classic Shards are :lame: !

37. Aragon100

Aragon100 Guest

UO before AoS february 2003 was and still is a much better game then UO of 2010.

We that have this understanding dont subscribe to UO anymore, we play freeshards with old settings. Many of these UO non subscribers would become subscribers if a classic shard were introduced.

If the money comes from a new shard or a old shard doesnt matter and i cant understand why EA/Mythic dont want our money?

A classic shard should have opened 5-6 years ago. They should open a T2A and a UOR classic shard so people could choose the one they prefer.

Can you elaborate abit on what is lame with opening up a classic shard for the ones that dont subscribe at all cause they cant accept the changes that took place with trammel and AoS?

Is that threatening your gameplay?

Should we be disqualified to play the game we used to love? Is our subscription money less important then the one you contribute with?

We that left UO cause trammel and AoS were introduced is alot more players then you suggest.

We have searched for a game that is close to that game since february 2003 and still havent found it.

A classic shard will be the most visited one.

38. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

Trammel gave the prey of the PKers a way to escape the ruining of their fun. I imagine that exodus of their prey to a place they couldn't be preyed upon did motivate the PKers to leave.

AoS, which I think of as Act of Stupidity, changed the game away from what gave it it's magic. It did foul up the game beyond all recognition. :(

I suspect a lot of us did that. What I wound up doing was just trying to play the game as if it was skill-based, with trips away off & on. The Paragons & SE mobs were difficult to hunt, the ML & SA dungeon ones just had to be avoided.

A week back I decided heck with it, bought powerscrolls, Imbued up sets of 70's suits for my characters, and joined the Other Side.

Visited for how long? The Posters in the Classic Shard 1 & 2 threads sounded as if they expected the same enviroment full of prey that existed before UO:Ren. I really doubt they would find the prey they expect. People play a game to have fun themselves, not to be fun for others, and can just stay in Tram on another Shard.

39. Aragon100

Aragon100 Guest

The prey you talk about will be there since UO isnt just a PvP or a PK game on a old setting shard.

I will have my crafter as i will have my PvP character.

My gatherer will be out there collecting material and will be the prey during that time. Many will do the same and since most been on both sides, both prey and hunters, the whining will not be that loud. Most will have a understanding of the game and the raw nature of it. Thats at least how i see on it.

And being a "prey" was one of the most exiting experiences i had in any game, always being scared of that evil PK entering the same area as the one i was in with my gatherer added to the game, not the other way arround.

40. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

Your into a playstyle I'm not into but if enough feel as you do and can enjoy playing both sides of the coin, it might do the trick. :)

41. Aragon100

Aragon100 Guest

Yeah, i believe it will be a good and steady income for EA/Mythic if they give us "oldtimers" a chance to have fun again.:)

42. Siteswap

Siteswap Visitor

That is just so naive. Do you really think that if EA pulled in an extra $4m per year from UO then that $4m would be invested back into UO? Absolutely no chance. Most (if not all) would be used for other EA projects. Hell, the money that EA get from UO now probably doesnt all get re invested into UO. Its time you took a reality check.

43. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

The daily post count on Stratics has been dropping lately I think. Maybe that's why this thread still isn't locked.

44. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

It isn't locked yet because we've decided the trolling is within acceptable levels.

45. gunneroforgin

gunneroforgin Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

RIGHT ON!

46. Demonous

mounts did always exist, u just didn't have the gold to buy one right away, no one cares about karma, atleast not until chivalry became a skill, and yes there were no lockdowns, that one ill give to you but thats part of what made it a lot of fun back then, steal someones house key loot their house

47. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Another better idea besides EA taking over RMT and grossing $4-6 million per year, would be to have a new consentual pvp only supershard and also an all non-consentual pvp supershard. Far cheaper, far easier and would appeal to far more players.

48. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

Now you sound like an EA GM! rolleyes:

I know, I know ... shaddap Beer!

49. Yah...people do tend to overglorify the classic shard at times. It wasn't really perfected until ~Pub 15 (I am referring to the game systems, ignore Trammel for the purpose of this statement).

If they don't do a classic shard then I think they need to update the current shards so that it's friendly to new and returning players. Right now, if you're a returning player and you're broke (or hell even if you have 25 million to spend), you're going to quit within two months because "catching up" is not fun. A game should always be fun.

I could live with AoS if it was less grind, more fun. If people want grind WoW is waiting for them with open arms. Or they could go to LOTRO and not waste their $$$ on a subscription fee.

50. Budwieser

Budwieser Guest

I'm not saying it would or would not be hard to start that way. I'm just stating the facts. No one can decide where a classic shard should start from, that's why it will never happen.