1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Collection of the History of Safe Haven and it's Founder

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by FrejaSP, Aug 12, 2014.

1. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Apr 12, 2001
    I was seaching the web and found some memeries there. I'm going to make a book telling about Safe Haven for our town banner.
    I found some pieces, in the first one, I was lucky to find the story of Safe Haven, writing of the founder of the town.
    I found the story here: https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/uo-siege-perilous-and-roleplayed-pvp.3239/

Safe Haven was started of Shaar Barista, here is his own words:
    Fast forward to the opening of the Siege Perilous shard. I was excited that it would be a return to the "classic" UO...the one which Oasis had inspired me. I decided I wanted to really be on the forefront of a new player town on Siege. So I convinced a friend of mine to join me decided that we would claim the npc building (not that you could actually "claim" anything) at the crossroads out of town as our own and defend it as such and eventually build our homes. My character was Shaar Barista and the name I gave the town was: Safe Haven.
    When creating Safe Haven, I and we gave it a few Roleplay rules to make it interesting for us all. Sorta like a gritty Wild West bar, Safe Haven would be friendly to all players regardless of the flagging as a good guy or bad guy. A "red" character who was clearly a murderer was welcome just as much as a "blue" character who was "good". In Safe Haven, only your actions within town mattered to us. No fighting was allowed. If you started a fight and killed someone then you would be on the "Kill on Sight" list no matter who you were.
    With those roleplay rules in place, we took up shop at the crossroads and began telling all players who came by that this was Safe Haven and doing all we can to make them feel welcome. I posted on all the the UO forums at the time and began doing any kind of events we could dream up. For Siege Perilous, being that many players were banned from NPC towns, and could never participate in any events in those NPC towns...Safe Haven represented a place that they could.
    In a short time, we had several houses placed around "town" and got some notoriety. Some players came out and joined us as citizens and others as "town guards". We formed a town government with a Mayor and Sherriff. We recruited players interested in trade to place vendors in Safe Haven tower for free while we made sure they knew it was risk vs reward. There were plenty of enemies of Safe Haven who would attack us and of course we would defend ourselves the best we could.
    The defense we made for the town began to take notice from other players and guilds of the server. We engaged all that entered the town into these politics of defending the idea of SH. Eventually most major guilds on SP had pledge its support of Safe Haven. This didnt mean though that all was fine and peaceful. At one point, a major guild who you might of heard of...the Knights of Glory and Beer got themselves on the KOS list of Safe Haven for killing a "red" player in our town borders. Sure they made had killed a bad "PK", however they had broke the town laws. As so, whenever the KGB would enter town, we would either killl them or drive them off. We also engaged into the politics of that matter with KGB and its leaders. Eventually a cease-fire was declared and they were allowed into town again. This happened with all guilds of SP at one point or another.
    As time went on, we held town elections that involved the entire shard/server, held major events and gave out countless prizes. Got the attention of the Seers who provided storylines for the town against evil Lizards nearby. Safe Haven also started a guild called NEW which was a recuitment tool for Siege Perilous, so that new players who wanted to try the server could get off the ground by providing gear and safe passage. We got most all the major guilds of Siege to not attack members of NEW as long as they didnt "farm" certain locations or engage in pvp while in the guild. Imagine that, a PvP enable area that was more eventful than anywhere else in game and was managed by player justice.
    Why does all this matter though? This matters because it showed that you can Roleplay and give reason to PvP without out it being all negative. The excitement of living and playing in Safe Haven would not be possiblile without it being a "PvP enabled" area. At a glance, I was simply a bad "red" PK when I was really a color blind guardian who judged players on their actions in my town.
    What is great about this story about Safe Haven, is that despite it being created in 1999, and years since i've even played UO....the area that I personally named Safe Haven is still regarded as so and even the NEW guild is still around. The ability to lay a mark in a MMO like that is truly awesome and sorta gives you immortality.

Now lets see if I find more useful in the next links I will find.

In next link, I found a lot great Siege history, sadly many names and images are lost.

In next link, I again found a nice piece of Siege History, not Safe Haven but still east Brit

When I joined the Ultima Online world, it was shortly before Trammel was
    introduced. As a newbie in Felucca I was very timid about PK's. It was very
    annoying to be with new friends, who were trying to show me around, having fun
    and then just getting ganked by 6 naked mages blasting E-bolt. I also wanted a
    house, so Trammel was enticing to me. But when it opened up, I enjoyed my new
    log cabin and complete safety and lack of immersion for all of about 2 months. I
    found myself on Siege Perilous after reading about the rules there.
    Now I was in military barracks at the time and we had a really bad internet
    provider with only dial up. Bad dial up. So I had a very hard time in PVP. But I
    eventually learned to enjoy it. The reward of gameplay with everything being
    harder, everything meaning more, and the community there really made it worth
    the extra danger and struggles and set backs.

One point I'd like to make is that, on average, the player killers were more mature
    there. And their motives were somewhat different. PVP'ers who came to Siege, were
    making the decision to go to a "Veteran Server" where they couldn't prey on easy
    targets. While there was some "red vs. blue" it was much less pronounced on Siege
    and battles usually had more to do with politics or reputation or land disputes and
    both sides would have a mix of red and blue. As you found your niche and gained
    some notoriety based on who you ran with, you found random reds who don't
    know you would leave you alone, or attempt to role play with you. And blue "good"
    players would not attack a red player on sight if they had no reason. Especially if
    there were guilds involved because you might be causing a political problem for
    your guild.

I moved out to a small open house spot near Cove and after running into members
    from the player town of House Lynn'Dannae a few times I began to learn I'd found
    my new friends. Kira Lynn'Dannae, the High Lady was very nice, but sometimes I
    would run into the evil (and red) drow who was very involved in town defense. She
    would size me up, be rude and distant. But never killed me for no reason just to
    take my stuff and taunt me. Eventually I joined the House Lynn'Dannae and those
    are the best times I've ever had in an MMO. Battling the outcast orcs to the south
    (players who had been outcast from Shadowclan for whatever reason), but also
    making treaties to somewhat live in peace out of necessity. There were two anti-
    social PK's that lived to the north that loved to come gank us with "less than legal
    means" at times. Dang those guys were fast. But it was fun. I set up a supply house
    in town with decent gear easy to grab for the whole guild. So we could jump right
    back into battle if we died while defending. I often did due to my slow speed
    connection but I could get back into battle and assist my guildmates who were on
    faster connections much quicker by planning ahead and setting up that supply
    house. I learned not to care so much about dying to a PK, because it was fun.

Sometimes when I was bored and none of my friends were on. I would travel out to
    the Shadowclan orc fort by myself, knowing I was eventually going to die to their
    numbers. But I was giving them something to do and they were giving me
    something to do. They didn't ride horses, to role play orcs and make it more
    realistic... knowing it made them much weaker in PVP. And I would go there alone
    knowing I would have a disadvantage against there numbers. I would take down 1
    or 2 or 3 (after some fun words with the grunting orcs) with the advantage of my
    horse, and only loot their weapon. When they finally took me down, they'd only
    loot my regeants (to neutralize me) and food and cut up my horse (because orcs
    would do that). There was a reason for it all... Roleplay and fun. They'd leave me
    some gate regeants usually and I'd be on my merry way and not mess with them
    again for a few days.

It was just so much more rewarding than the red vs. blue gank fest with all the
    trash talk that meant nothing. And it was a lot of fun.
    But I had to get over my fear of losing stuff, or feeling bad because I was bested by
    someone who might be a better player than me, or have more game skills, or even a
    cheat hack.

Eventually I found more enjoyment than have had in a game before or since. But I
    had to get out there and be a part of it.
    There were times when it was frustrating, yes. I'd get ganked and lose a lot of stuff,
    call for my guild and allies to try to get revenge and track the guy down.
    Sometimes we were successful and sometimes not.
    A lot of times when I was still on dial up I'd just think of my character as a better
    opponent for other players than the NPC's. Even if I died I'm providing fun and
    immersion for those other players.

And so when Richard Garriott mentioned that in Markee's round table it really
    struck a cord with me. It's not so much up to him and the devs to figure out a way to
    lure players into the full open world dangerous content beyond making the
    mechanics and rewards/punishments most conducive for everyone. I think it comes
    down to the players and how they view the game. How they think about their
    character, for "carebears", PK's and Anti-pk's alike.

Is it really so bad to die to "The Dread Captain Awesome" and lose some stuff if it
    prompts you to seek out companions and work together? Or possibly to find a way
    to negotiate with him? Amassing the most loot and the biggest house and all that is
    fun and rewarding but there will always be someone who has more or is better than
    you. I can still google "The White Council" or "LDH" and find references to my
    character's name even though its been years. But there's no bank account total next
    to it. Its memories of the things myself and those around me did. The most reward I
    found is in the stories that emerge from social interactions and conflicts. And I'll
    never regret the day I put down that bard/tamer in Trammel and joined the world
    of Siege Perilous.

Rezulm, Apr 15, 2014

In next link, second year of Safe Haven, there are info about Safe Haven Mayors.

RP on the "hard shard"
    RP on the ‘hard shard’?
    When Siege Perilous was started, many players stayed away. “It will all be PKs” is
    what people said. The shard began and yes, the PKs showed up in full force. Anti-
    PK teams were formed to combat them. Eventually the line between anti and PK
    became blurred as former PKs joined the anti cause to fight blue members of PK
    guilds. All the while, RP flourished with guilds of orcs, dwarves, undead of several
    sorts, assorted empires, various religious orders, noble houses, and assassin guilds.
    All of these guilds participated in the fighting. Alliances not based on anti or PK
    were formed.
    As time passed, the Renaissance changes occurred on the regular shards and the
    Felucca facets seemed rather empty as PKs were confined and safety was
    guaranteed in Trammel. On Siege, alliances rose and fell, guilds disappeared, red
    or blue color no longer determined what kind of person a character was. Large scale
    guild battles slowed in favor or more tactical ambushes and fast attacks. The town
    of Safe Haven, founded in the shard’s earliest days, be came a hot point of battle
    and conflict.
    The town of Safe Haven was formed as a neutral ground for all players to meet and
    buy good from a variety of vendors. The rule was no fighting in SH, everyone is
    welcome. This broke down as determined grief players forced the formation of Safe
    Haven defenses. Fighting occurs nightly between attackers and defenders.
    Outside of Safe Haven, limited Faction fighting raged and guild wars continue
    unabated. Numerous events occur from battles to control the Shadowclan’s Keep to
    helping lost people with purple names find mysterious objects.
    Currently, an election is taking place in Safe Haven for Mayor. The topic of mayor is
    at the top of the discussion on the shard’s “war” messageboards at battlevortex.com.
    Take a look at the candidates. BTW, the current mayor is Vaniir, a former PK and
    member of GC, now leader Temple of the Ronin.
    Debain Zataurous – former PK, advocates a strong defense with no mercy for SH
    Kelly Kindred – advocate of relaxing the laws and for having tolerance on how
    people play the game.
    Gorg’da’guud – a partially deaf Shadowclan orc, advocates razing most Safe Haven
    buildings and putting and end to the human’s practice of eating their children.
    Ammar of NAO – member of an outlaw hillbilly guild that advocates reducing the
    fighting and encouraging the vendors.
    Glendor – leader of a anti-grief player guild, advocates the reduction of fighting
    and the increase of shard wide events.
    Of these candidates, most of them are red. All of them engage in roleplay and are
    backed by groups in the various PvP alliances on the shard.
    I submit to you that Siege Perilous, “the hard shard”, it actually the last bastion of
    real roleplay in Ultima Online. Without the artificial restrictions of Trammel and
    stat loss, the importance of guilds, alliances, and fights, takes on importance to
    players in the game. Where else can groups claim and defend territory? Where else
    are the top PvP guilds also strict roleplay guilds? Where else are players judged by
    their actions and not their hue? Where else do the large guilds fund a guild run
    specifically for the benefit of new players and PKs avoid attacking these new
    On Siege Perilous you find the player justice and real diplomacy that has been lost
    in most online games. For the shard that was viewed as “PK heaven”, it has become
    anything but.
    Posted by michael at December 04, 2000 03:49 PM

The last link is not mush history yet, but may be. Enjoy

#1 FrejaSP, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    VinnySP likes this.
  2. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Apr 12, 2001
    I fear our dear thief Chad was a little disappointed with my reaction, when I just told him welcome :) I'm glad he did like all my cats and their meow, when he moved around in my Castle.

He thought I had forgot to lock the backdoors, that's not the case, Tina just want to slow down murderers a little :)

I'm very happy for the the story of Safe Havens Founder Shaar Barista.
    That's bring us one step closer to get our Town Sign.

Safe Haven started as a Guild but there had always been more than just one guild living in the town.

The members of Safe Haven Town Forum belong to several different guilds, that won't changes. I'm sure we can be a community, even when the guilds sometimes may be enemies outside Safe Haven.
    #2 FrejaSP, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. FrejaSP

Apr 12, 2001
    A Safe Haven Guards story (Muldoon)
    I don't recall the year exactly, but Siege was pretty new when I started. I have never been interested in PVP to the extent that I would go out looking for it, but I liked the more challenging atmosphere. I told a friend recently, that the most memorable experiences I have had in any MMO (and I've been playing them since '93, the DOS days) were on Siege, or on Atlantic when UO was fresh out of beta... a time when all of UO was very much like Siege (for example: most people didn't know what a recall rune was used for yet).
    Most of my time on Siege was spent as a guard for the player run town of Safe Haven, located at the cross roads South of Britain.
    We had a lot of events that attracted large numbers of players, and inevitably two or three PK guilds would show up to try to dissrupt everyone's fun. Typically, with my swordsmanship barely into the 80s, I would spend hours chasing evildoers away from the crowd with a halberd, being killed (and looted) repeatedly, until some friendly dragon taming guests would lay the smack down on them, and then us guards would get to have a short break.
    One time that really stands out in my memory... it was just a regular day in Safe Haven (we were under assault, pretty much constantly), but on this day we were losing badly, and after being killed and looted for the umpteenth time, I was dissapointed to discover that our supplies of armor and weapons had just run out. With my fellow guards still outside, fighting the good fight, I did the only thing I could do... I equipped an ID wand, put on a long skirt, and, bald headed and bare chested, stepped out of the safety of our guild house. Those PKs took one look at me and thought the cavalry had arrived, as mages were still quite rare on the server at the time. They fled in terror and Safe Haven was safe once again.
    Thegirlyouloved2hate and VinnySP like this.
  4. Thegirlyouloved2hate

Nov 19, 2014
    This is the SP I will remember and always Cherish...missing those amazing times. Nice post Freja...you really stuck it out lady.I give it to you:heart:

ISPREDEM Adventurer

May 25, 2013
    i wish there was still this much "public" dedication around the shard! since im dabbling back into game on a friends accounts maybe ill be able to help the progression move forward better than in my times past :D
  6. FrejaSP

Apr 12, 2001
  7. Thegirlyouloved2hate

Nov 19, 2014
    Class act all the way Freja...really you are the heart of SP...always working to make it a better place, always the most decent woman on the server. never bitchy or backbiting . I only wish more were like you.
  8. FrejaSP

Apr 12, 2001
    Thanks *blushes* I'm not the only one who try to make Siege a better place, even when we not always have the same idea of what make Siege a better place.
  9. Thegirlyouloved2hate

Nov 19, 2014
    I am very neutral I have no vested reason to lie. You have made it your goal on SP to better and grow the community..when all others gave up. I threw my hands up in the air long ago and left, but you hung in there. Just take the pat on the back it is well deserved. I may never play SP again but every few years I come back to read whats going on.