1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Color Smith Bods Suxs

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Zane_Xander, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Zane_Xander

Zane_Xander Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

For 3 or 4 weeks now, I will pull my smith out to collect his 3 bods and I have been getting more junk bods( non-color bods) than usual. I'm estimating about 1-4 is color and 1-12 is a color bod that will produce a jar of pof or hammer. Is it me, or is it the wonders of the Random number generator(just bad luck )
    Not that anyone really cares, I just figgured I'd let TPTB know it is not fun drawing iron bods as 120 smith.
    That is All ~

#1 Zane_Xander, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    kRUXCg7 likes this.
  2. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Remember:

Half of all BODs are weapon (and therefore always iron)
    Half of all Armor BODs are iron
    half of all Armor BODs are also normal, so only 1/8 of BODs are colored exceptional
    And, of those, only 13/24 are combinable types.

Compare that to Tailor, which has 18 LBODs that give Barbed runics 100% (and another several dozen with a random chance of being Barbed kit instead of a PS or horned kit)

Getting lots of Iron BODs is par for the course, as 75% of all BODs are iron (weapons, + half of the rest)

Somewhere in this forum or the data chest is my analysis of around 2500 smith BODs. The result isn't pretty, but the numbers came out to within 0.5% of expected results. There's also a slight tendency of multiple BODs of similar types getting pulled, if pulled around the same time. Running my 6 smiths for 3 BODs each, it's not unheard of for 3-4 of the 18 BODs being the same item, with similar quantities and quality values (and they be 1 each from different characters, over 3 accounts). The seed values for the RNG in BOD generation, therefore, are probably something in the server clock that changes little over 10-15 minutes.

3. Zane_Xander

Zane_Xander Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Seemed like I was getting better color my last go around with my smith. About every other month I like to pull out my smith to do bods. Sometimes I can go two months between doing bods. Maybe when I start to flip the bods I will find myself with better color. So maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh...but I am just a product of my environment..ha

Thx for the info.:)

4. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Tailor BOD's came in some months after Smith BOD's... they learned a lot in the interim.

5. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Maybe, but it took them over 8 years after Tailor BODs came in to tell us that the ratio of normal Tailor BODs to Exceptional BODs was 2/1, instead of the 50/50 split that the design document stated (and was never contradicted in any point afterward until we brought it up 4-5 years ago, by counting several thousand BOD pulls, and asking why the ratio given on UO.com in the only mentions of the subject were so different from the results). There was supposed to be a 10% increase in Exceptional BODs for Smiths once they hit GM+, as well, that disappeared sometime between its announcement and UO's 10th anniversary (if it ever made it to the servers), that was never stated to no longer be in effect after it was announced.

Barry Gibb and kRUXCg7 like this.
  6. Irulia Darkaith

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yeah, I was really disappointed to see that the new town loyalty system (currently being dissected on UHall) wasn't doing anything for crafters. I thought perhaps loyalty to Minoc would get you better BODs in that town, instead it sounds like it's just going to be stat bonuses for PvM/PvP.