1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Come Join Siege Perilous!!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by SoulWeaver, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

Why Join?

It's a whole differnt experience.
    Very Close Helpful Community.
    The Economy Is Stable!
    Dupes? Do Not Exist!! Why There's No Transfers, There's No Trammel Fact etc..
    Insurance None you acutally kill people and get there items!
    People? It's getting more populated every day!

Have nothing dont want to start over? Join NEW! They'll equip you, help you, and teach you the way of Siege Perilous! Stay a few weeks and I myself will give you 250,000 Gold Shillings to get you going after you've trained your skills up!

Questions Just Ask!

Honestly it's one of the best server that E.A. has currently come give it a try.

2. archite666

archite666 Guest

As a fellow Siege player I agree! Come see what youv been missing!

Also forgive soulweavers bad spelling, hes known for pwning people, not his grammer.

Seriously, All he said is true.

There are no dupes because most the way dupes are created, do not exist here.

There are no scripters because we kill them, your not safe unattended.

We have an awesome community, where it just ist killing someone and then rez killing people over and over, we actually have people who fight with honor, some roleplay when they fight, you will never know what you will see.

3. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Mad bombers ftw!!!...la

4. archite666

archite666 Guest

Explosion+Nikes= Dead luna scripter.

5. Malkes

Malkes Guest

As a former Siege player I fully agree with the sentiment of at least giving Siege a fair shot.

The only reason I don't play there now is that all of the people I was close to have moved on to other games and the like, not because it was "too hard". The community on Siege can't be beat.

6. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Great post Soulweaver, especially when so many people are getting bored on the prodo shards because there is no more excitment because of insurance and everything is item based. Most of the complaints from people playing on the prodo shards would never exist here on Seige. Alot of people think its only a vet shard or a pvp shard. That is sooo not true. Crafters are needed here and have a purpose! You'll find some guilds that devote their time to PvM. PvP is alive and kicking. You have thieves to keep you on your toes and there is adventure ahead just walking out your door. There are alot of people here that will lend a helping hand to help new people get started. Just give it a try. You have nothing to loose but alot of fun to gain!

7. darkblade70

darkblade70 Guest

I haven't played UO for about 4 years ( I have really dedicated myself to UO since pre-tram). I was thinking of coming back and have never tried Siege.

Does macroing still take place to gain skills? What's the best way to skill gain? Is it still really slow on Siege?
    I want to play for PvP, but also for a relaxing time -- is the 'hardcore'ness of Siege gonna make my time spent just grinding my ass off for gear and skills?

Info would help.

Thanks.

8. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

The only skill grinding is done until you get to 70; then RoT makes it a piece of cake, even if it takes a while. Aside from faction gear, there's not much effort required to get a decent suit. And yes you can macro a lot of skills, but since you can be killed anywhere you should do it attended.

It's not "hardcore", that's just a myth prodo people use.

9. darkblade70

darkblade70 Guest

Sorry, the wording of that is funny. So you're saying that you have to grind skills up to level 70, then from 70 to 100 it's easier?

I'd prefer not to macro, but if macroing is my only option to gain skill in a decent amount of time (i.e. sparring/bandaging with someone), then I may pass.

I'd likely prefer to find a place where I can feel my character is viable within a decent amount of time (when I say decent I mean within a few weeks of average game play).

No clue what RoT is either. Again, been out of UO for many years.

10. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

After a 2 year break I have come back to UO and decided to give Siege a try. Ive only been playing a couple of weeks. Its a real eye opener and I'm enjoying the game again in a way I used to many years ago. Its recaptured some of what UO was supposed to be for me. Ive started with nothing but people have been kind and theres a guild to help newcomers find their feet. All in all its been a great experience so far ... I'd highly recommend it. Give it a try .. you'll be surprised.

11. Malkes

Malkes Guest

The way RoT gaining works is that once you get a skill to at least 70, you enter the RoT System.

When in the system you are limited to a certain number of gains in a skill per day and those gains have a "wait timer" between gains, however, when using a skill at that point it is a guaranteed gain.

Example: You have a skill at 70 skill, lets say its Blacksmithing. Every 5 minutes if you make an item that has a chance to give you a gain, you WILL gain in smithing. However, you will ONLY gain when the "wait timer" is done, and you will gain a maximum of 3.6 points in that skill for the day. The timer between gains increases when you reach 80 and 90 in a skill, respectively. Also, the amount of gains per day lowers at 80 and 90 skill. The amount of gains that you can get in a single day is shared for all skills that are in the RoT system, meaning you can't gain 3.6 in one skill and 3.6 in another skill in the same day if they are both at least 70 skill.

It may seem like it's a pain in the ass, but it really makes training skills SO much easier, just drawn out over a longer period.

That means that whatever skill you are training, if you get all of your gains in it each day will end up maxing out that skill much faster, depending on the skill, on Siege than on a normal shard. You can max out taming in days/weeks, rather than months/years. Same for smithing/tailoring/etc.

Another benefit of the RoT system is that, you can get your gain when it is ready, go do something else, get your next gain, etc etc, instead of just sitting at a forge for hours hoping to get a gain.

Edit: someone else might have a much clearer method of explaining the system, if they wish.

12. 4th3ist

4th3ist Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Pwnography, you must tell me if you play Left 4 Dead. I saw someone with you're name the other night and they only "maybe" were you. Thats kind of a pretty generic name for a FPS game but I had to ask. :)

13. TheScoundrelRico

RoT times and max gains have been adjusted...

RoT Guildlines (updated for publish 55)

70 - 79.9 5.0 (max) points per day, 5 minutes between gains
    80 - 89.9 4.0 (max) points per day, 8 minutes between gains
    90 - 99.9 3.0 (max) points per day, 12 minutes between gains
    100 - 109.9 3.0 (max) points per day, 15 minutes between gains
    110 - 120 2.0 (max) points per day, 15 minutes between gains

...la

14. darkblade70

darkblade70 Guest

Well that sounds like a good system to me. I hate grinding :p

15. Malkes

Malkes Guest

Thanks for the update, Rico. I was going off what I remembered from the last time I was on Siege, hehe.

16. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

It is a good system ... you find yourself playing the game and your skills raise over time as you do. Skills as we know are fairly easy to gain in up to 70 (ok so some are more difficult) but after 70 under ROT there is no grind. Play and you will gain. Its actually fun.

17. darkblade70

darkblade70 Guest

Also what kind of characters are really viable on Siege? Is there a strong PvE presence or is it primarily PvP?

I was thinking of making an archer, but I don't know what skill builds are viable these days... I feel so out of touch :p

I didn't even realize there's ninjas and stuff in UO now (I thougt it was a joke when someone told me about it lol)

18. TheScoundrelRico

Many young players on Siege have hiding in their template to help protect themselves from roaming players. It's a safe play. There is a good mix of player types on Siege. There is a large group of crafters and resource gatherers, PvM groups, PvP groups tend to be in the larger guilds but you will find some solo PvPers. There are thieves and looters on Siege due to the lack of insurance.

Siege is not "the" PvP shard...it is a veteran shard with players of many playstyles. You may find our crafter will run around with some pvP skills more than the mules on the production shards, but at the same time...it is more for defense.

Hopefully soon the devs will modify our vendor system to bring the price to run player run vendors is cheaper, and you will see them pop up all over the place. When this happens, you will see our economy prices drop due to more availablity of materials and items.

The one group that is probably lacking the most on Siege is RP. We used to have a pretty large group of them, but they have migrated to other games. The shard is a great place for RP imo, even if I role play, a non-role player in game.

Come check us out...head to Luna, and you will be bound to meet some of our community...la

19. Vexxed

Vexxed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

How about everyone that doesn't want to play on Siege also makes a post requesting people to play on the shard they are on??? That would just be great wouldn't it? Siege players are the only ones that I see begging for more players & it amazes me that the simple thought that people WOULD play siege if they wanted to seems to escape them.....

20. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

Youre missing the point. Siege offers something DIFFERENT from the bog standard shards. Its alternate ruleset is something many would probably find appealing if they gave it a try. And the reason a lot of people probably dont try it is because they dont fully understand or have misconceptions about life on siege. Sure its not for everybody, but giving this alternate ruleset a try cant hurt now can it?

21. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Probably cause our shard is different than the majority. I wouldn't see the point in advertising any other shards, they are all the same.

And we get plenty of interest from posts like this. I mean there is already someone interested in playing in THIS thread. It's no secret that our player base is lower than other shards, why get so upset when we try to get more people into our community?

22. archite666

archite666 Guest

What were trying to say Vexxed is that WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU.

No seriously, were different, thats why were advertising, now go troll somewhere else, this thread is perfectly acceptable.

Now if your interested in coming to Siege, I will change my tone, but to those that have ill will toward our shard, I will give nothing but malas.

Vexxed I hope you do decide to give Siege a try, you may find yourself back peddling your words. If the old stratics boards were still around and if you looked REALLY hard, like 4 years ago you could find posts of me trolling Siege boards saying how much it sucks, but really its the best UO has to offer.

Tamers= Can farm the best weapons, make lots of money

Crafters= are like gods here, you actually build a reputation, I only do
    business with select crafters

Pvpers= Its Siege, Hello!?!?

Casual pvmers= You get all the pvming, with the excitment of being raided, PLUS everything you get has so much more value because its not like 100s of people are macroing the same thing.

Roleplayers= Plenty of areas, plus a strong community means you can develope a nice reputation, as well pvp RP if you like, such as our TDO guild, the dark outlaws who roam the forests.

Name your playstyle and I will name mainly reasons why you will love Siege over production shards.

23. Mattitracks

Mattitracks Guest

That there is why I gave up on siege way back. I remember the early days there were great even though I had a hard time giving up my "main" shard [We are talking the precast/insta hit days and siege was created without], but when it was guilds such as GC and whatnot, Awesome! But the population dropped, and than picked up, and than dropped again. One gets sick of this routine and sooner or later becomes disillusioned with the whole situation.

I won't sit here and lie though. That wasn't the only reason. The influx of chars made cheaply in two days that fell from the sky when they removed RoT was another. Nothing felt worse than being two hit killed by an axer who only started the previous week. [More so when you put so much time and effort into your char]

Aye, I would suggest siege to anyone who currently plays. I myself just couldn't deal with the shifts in population. People come and go, I understood this, but it was just to regular for me. Other than that I loved it there.

[How much of the AoS expansion did siege get?]
    Thanx!

EggRoll
    Atlantic 97 - 02 [maybe 01?]
    Trinsic Borrower

24. WarUltima

WarUltima Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

fixed.

I still play seige on and off for the pure purpose of pvping and the rise of stealth tamers makes seige one of the worst pvp server ever. sorry but is a fact. they need to fix pvp on seige before they are going to lure any serious pvpers who prefers balance.

25. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Up to 70.0, you gain skill just like prodo shards. Then you hit ROT and immediately get to 70.1 (your first 0.1 from ROT). Unless this was changed...

If you want to keep repetition to a minimum, you can train a bunch of skills up to 70, then logout at an inn.

Then go train your next account, say, a support character. Train a bunch of skills to 70, logout at same inn.

Now you can just login every 5 - 10 mins, cycle through all the skills of your fist char. Remember to train your highest skills first, because there's a cap on max skills you can gain like Ricola says. E.g. If you have gained 3.0 points of skills that day, only skills lower than 90 will continue to gain.

Logout and do the same for the 2nd char. And maybe a third.

By the time you are done, the first char is ready for the next ROT skill again. And that gain is more guaranteed than GGS. You know sometimes GGS doesn't give you that gain even after you have logged off for 2 days? It doesn't happen in ROT. Would work very nicely in prod shards if they removed or increased the cap.

I've not played siege for a long time though. I have a stealth tamer (gm'd magery/bard, taming not gm'd yet, but I use packs instead. Haven't played him in years) and a crafter (stopped playing him too coz my backpack and beetle is full from Bods hehe). It's pretty hard to continue after a certain stage if you don't have a house (my accounts all used up to hold houses on other shards).

Edit: Oh, and I don't PvP. Even on Siege. Ie, I do not go and hunt players. Defending myself is a different story...

26. Drawde2

Drawde2 Guest

Except that there's not much to do other than gaining skills if you're at 70 in them all. That was always my problem with Seige. Yes, you can kill monsters for gold and such, but the best ways require around 100 in the skills, if not more, and you can't reach that for a long time. At least in the normal system, you can keep trying for more gains for hours, even if it's less certain. Though the guarantee is nice.

Been a long time since I played, though I still like the game. I'm waiting to see what SA is like. I might come back then, and will probably give Siege a try. Though I'll need to relearn what all the changes were.

27. Faeryl

Faeryl Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I made a char on Siege last night just to see what it was like. It's actually kinda fun, and although I'm still gonna play on Atlantic mostly, I'm gonna work up a char on Siege for when I need a break from all the people and spamming :)

28. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Heh, welcome aboard... or semi-aboard at least. :D

29. Splup

Splup Guest

I'm from Europa, so my ping rly isnt the best.

What kind of template you recommend to make on siege if I want to start there? I quess some melee dexer is viable temp there?

edit: Actually I checked my siege and I have a char there. I have made that char prolly like right after AoS... Seems like it has some taming and archery. Maybe I should still think about that melee dexer.

30. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Depends on what you wanna do I would guess. Melee dexers are ok, but without all the absurd gear you'll its harder to pwn monsters so badly.

31. SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran

Keep it going guys, let it be known what Siege is really all about.

32. archite666

archite666 Guest

Welcome, Im here if you need anything

33. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

We have tons of players from Europe, they hold their own just fine in both PVM and PVP

34. if they cant let us have second house (7x7 fine) how about secure storage at inns or a bigger bank box ??

35. TheScoundrelRico

Honestly, if you don't have a house, is it that hard to live out of a bank? I did it for the first 3 or so years I played (on Atlantic). Sure you can't just keep everything, but since checks are blessable, you can pretty much keep a single stack of gold in the bank, and the rest of your cash, in check form. Not having a house, you really don't need to go out and purchase house deco, so that won't fill the bank up. Artmor and weapons...if you have a couple of suits in storage, there are just a few spots.

You have 125 items you can store...just be sure to keep the bank spring cleaned (all of the time) and you shouldn't have any issues...la

36. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

For one thing, this post is about a shard (Seige) that is completely different then all the others. Prodo shards are all the same so what does it matter what one you play except for your connection. Everyone here has played a prodo shard and experienced that and came here because we found it to be more fun, so we have a different experience to share. I had never heard of Seige and was ready to quit UO again for the 3rd time out of sheer boredom (i mean after acquiring millions of gold and hundreds of items it just gets mind numbing with no challenge). I had read a post about Seige and thought I would give it a try before cancelling my accounts. What did I have to loose? I made a character to see what it was all about and never left. That was 2 1/2 years ago. Some people have never heard of this shard, (like myself back then) and it's nice to share all aspects of UO with its playerbase. Seige isn't an option to join when new players create an account and choose a shard to join, so most don't even know it exists until they read something in a post like this one. Others think its all vets (not true) or all PvP (not true) Give it a try or not. Just letting people know there is something different out there and they may just have a whole lot of fun paying a visit.

37. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

the pure passion of the above reply should sum it up!!!

the Siege tag line should read "Siege, we have passion"

10 months and going strong, so far

luna house
    15 million gold
    scrolled out tamer/archer/bushy fencer
    2000+ luck suit
    991 beefy dragon!!

and made many new friends and bumped into a few old one!!

plain and simple Siege is more fun then a prodo shard (IMHO)

cya here soon!!

wait the best part, I almost forgot, you will almost never see

PwnRoxxerftwdroppedwtfedyourmoMalldaylongDiRtNaptIMe

woot!

38. archite666

archite666 Guest

indeed, Siege is by far the best.

Left Atlantic and Lake Austin for it.

39. ColterDC

ColterDC Visitor

Also, there are plenty of people who are willing to let you live at their homes.

If anyone needs a safe place to log and a place to store their items, PM me and I can access you to my house and set you up with some secures to store all your extra crap.

40. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I also have a makato house im using mainly for storage that could spare at least 1 125 item box to a newb if they wanted it.

I'm sure there are tons of people who are same way.

41. Faeryl

Faeryl Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I had almost forgotten what it was like starting with absolutely nothing. The last few days I've been living out of a bank box with no gold, no armour and no house. I'm afraid to wander to far off from a moongate cause I have no other way to get to any cities lol

All I've been able to do is collect some regs and beat up some mongbats. Certainly an experience I haven't been through since I got situated on Atlantic!

I'd probably place a house on Siege if my two on Atl weren't in one of my favourite places :)

42. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

Umm every shard is different and I think that wasnt the best thing to say "They are all the same" You just killed off the years and years of history that are different on each shard. Europa is in NO WAY the same as Chesapeake and Catskills is NOT the same at Atlantic and so on and so fourth.

I would come play Siege if most of its population was not so closed. Now I didnt say everyone. I have met some very nice people. ( now maybe it's because I went to the player run city and its different on Siege. I got turned off in the first 30mins and I was even on a Gm tamer with a fire steed hehe.

But dont ever say we are the same. Thats like me saying their is no different in Playing Toontown and Siege.

43. archite666

archite666 Guest

Gareth, everytime you most a post, my dislike for your words grows and grows.

Everyone here, with the exception of you, (Gareth, bumbling troll and "wise man") knew that we were refering to....*drum roll*.......thats right kids,

THE FREAKING RULE SET! YOU ALL HAVE THE SAME FREAKING RULE SET. GET OVER IT.

History? I killed a blue on the Luna wall yesterday, how is that for history on your shard? Any blues, non guilded, non faction ever killed another blue on luna wall? You ever shurikened a guy macroing detect in the middle of luna?
    or how about raided a spawn....IN SPIRITUALITY? No? DIDNT THINK SO!

I'm really not yelling, just being funny.

Bottem line statement...

Siege>You

44. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Wasn't that like...5 years ago?

45. SoulWeaver

Stratics Veteran

We just got 3 more people to join on tonight event! Hoo rahh lets see so more people the population is growing! Yes!

46. Lord Gareth

It's not what you say but how you say it. I am sorry I did get turned off from it. I did stop by last night and havnt had that same heart race that I use to back in the old days.

I am all for advertisement. I do it very well. But if your going to advertise come join Siege perhaps try it like this.

- Community pictures (Captions)
    - PvP fight pictures (Captions)
    - Rico stealing something pictures
    - Comments from the players
    (PvP, RP, PvM)
    - Hang out areas of siege
    - Good hunting places
    - Vendor stores and taverns
    - A brief history written about Siege

Kinda like a come visit Mexico advertisement at the airline places.

47. Lord Gareth

There I came to Siege and almost killed ArTeMiS in Tokuno. hehe

48. rieley

rieley Guest

I'm always late with my post. *shakes head*

First let me tell you I took a few months off UO because I brought a beautiful child into our home.

Dendra cannot PVP or PK. Never gonna happen!! Started UO about a year ago, came to Siege around Sept of '08. Found out about Siege by reading the stratics boards. So thought I'd create a char there, did it and went to Luna and met.....Wyrm. ('nough said?) Well, that naked worm wasn't going to scare me off. So I toyed with him. It was a riot! Well I never claim to be the smartest UO player, and one day I thought he was stalking my house. I didn't know...he was red, and said something about outcast. So I stayed away from my house most of the day. Came back later and saw this "outcast" with the same name of char which I thought was wyrm. I THOUGHT I read somewhere about kin paint or something that can change your appearance. Well wyrm had killed me so many times camping my house.

I can remember sitting dead watching him watch for me to come back to my house.....for an hour. Now remember I was really ... dumb. So I walk up to him, expecting to die. Talk, call him a slime, .. what's this? He's afk! So I start to kill him. Dont care if I go red. I want to kill him. Ut oh he moves. I actually freeze and he totally freaks out. This is where I learn you cannot change names, and this is how I met Voodoo.

One cannot appreciate these facts unless one plays Siege. I love it, you have to work for an income. Things have value. There is a community. A player has pride. Even the thieves. Or the Queen Vampire *grins* (well she CAN get a little ragged looking without her daily dose).

Siege!

49. shanshu

shanshu Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

These threads usually are less about what makes Siege great and more about what makes Siege greater than other shards. As a player of "other shards", I don't really care for this mentality.

I'm glad you all love your shard. It has nothing to offer me. I'd like to make a thread about my shard and why people should play it, but apparently those get locked and deleted.

50. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Probably cause your shard has the same rule set as the vast majority.

Anyway by default we all pick the shard we consider to be "greatest", difference is that extolling the virtues of siege is different, because the game there is different on a systems level, and many of the things that people HATE and often complain endlessly about on regular shards are non existent on siege.

No hate for other shards myself, but I would never play them.