1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

COME ONE COME ALL

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by poisonarms, Apr 18, 2009.

1. poisonarms

poisonarms Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

The time to rebuild Siege Perilous is upon us.

We need to plan some huge events to get some exposure from other shards so that we can get more players on Siege Perilous. Many people say they will never play siege because of the harsh community. If only they knew what a tight knit community Siege Perilous actually IS. Despite how much we all hate each other in game, we all love each other on the forums. Who isn't sad when a Siege veteran leaves UO? Krystal - I have to say, I hate you so much inside UO, but siege would not be the same without you. I was sad to see WyRm leave as well and what about Righty? I haven't seen him in a long time!

Guys, Siege is slowly dying before us and we need to do something about it. I want to get an event planning committee together to plan some shard wide events that everyone will be helping to participate in. I saw sweeney talking about bagball. Why don't we start a bag ball league on Siege Perilous? We can have official teams and hold weekly events for it.

I've also come up with a few ideas for the NEW guild, but have not run them by Shal yet. Picture this, official graduation ceremonies held at the end of every month to officially welcome new players to Siege Perilous and to officially acknowledge their "graduation" from NEW (every player who left NEW that month). We can also hold a "career day" event at the end of every month where representatives from each guild can go hang out with NEW members and talk to them about their guild where the NEW member can really get a "hands on experience," so to speak, with GMs and members of the guild where they can get an idea if that guild is right for them.

Another event that I would like to see is one that took place on my old shard of Chessy. There was a guild there that always held an event called a regatta. Basically it was just a boat race. I'd like to see something like that on Siege. As we all know, the uoherald is always featuring certain shards and guilds for their live events. We need to get something going for the exposure of Siege Perilous. I remember a time when Siege was crawling with players. It should be that way again.

I have also not ruled out the option of advertising on other shard forums (if that is in bounds of stratics law). No flame wars, no trolling, just letting other UO players know about the events and the community we have on Siege and why we think they would like to play with us on Siege.

If anyone is interested in helping me plan events, please contact me via ICQ at 347535326 (Edward).

2. archite666

archite666 Guest

i'm in, could provide vent if needed.

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Good luck. The community is not what it once was.

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

That's the spirit......

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

I'm up for it. Aside from bagball every event idea I've had got shot down, heh.

6. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

You are right. Take over. It is all yours. Promote the shard. Promote these forums. I will just sit back and Mod.

7. poisonarms

poisonarms Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Exactly my point, kelmo.

8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I know. I read the post. Good luck. I hope you can do it.

9. archiv

archiv Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

From someone who's still relatively new here, one of the bigger problems I've seen keeping new players is the rez kills and town kills of newbies. Yes, it's happened to pretty much all of us and those of us still here have moved past it. But...speaking for myself, I left my prod shard because I couldn't stand the attitude of the reds, or most in fel for that matter. It was pretty much avoid Fel or deal with the l33t pvp'rs who will roxr you if you step outside the guard zone. Obviously I'm not an uber pvp'r, my strategy is more of the charge at the attacker to get myself killed faster so I can get back to what I was doing :thumbsup:. Then I started reading about the great community here and decided to give it a shot. Like many others, I braced myself for the constant harassment of reds and lack of the tram rule set and created my crafter. And I met Krystal and another toon I dont quite recall who took great pleasure in constantly killing my naked training crafter in town, out of town, wherever I so wandered. And that was it. Once I was able to build my character up to stats and skills to prevent one-hit-kills, they moved on. I stayed, reworked and am still reworking my skills to find the right place for me. But many don't.
    The point to all this is, I often read about people who come here and whine about the same things that happened to me (and many others) and they leave with their tail between their legs. I read posts from all of the Siege vets who say good riddance, this isn't the place for them..and then, I see all the threads like this...Showing how tight-knit this community is and how we're all desperate to have new players in the fold, vets and newbies alike.:wall: I understand everyone has their own play style and things that are fun to them, but if you're truly trying to pull more players to Siege, running them off in a test of Siege-Fitness really isn't the best plan.
    My apologies to poisonarms for using this thread to climb on my soap box, it's not intended in any way to deter from what you're trying to do. And I'm all for doing anything in my limited constantly reworked skills I can to help with events here. Also, apologies to Krystal for singling you out, you were the first I encountered, not trying to point fingers or blame.
    With all that said, something we used to do in an old guild of mine was rp events, which would be even more fun here. Someone would be 'kidnapped' by a clan of orcs or some other beast set and through clues left, the rest would have to find and help save the captor. Being that there's already a clan of Orcs here, that would make it even more fun. Not sure how that would be advertised on the Community Events calendar, but it's an idea.

Thanks for you time

10. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

That last part is a decent idea, but sadly there is no orc clan anymore, just one or two orcs.

We want new players, but not the ones that whine and quit after being killed and drylooted. I'm glad you stuck around.

11. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

The sad thing is, if all these uber PvPers on other shards, were truely in it for the PvP, and not the insured res kill, gank bs, they would come here. This shard playes right into the PvPers hands. And has nothing but everything they could want, if they could give up item insurance. But sadly, they need insurance to have the best of every item all the time.

12. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

This is not special for you Sweeney but for all.
    Keep in mind, this players are new to the shard, the bank is the only place they can keep private items. They do not have a house yet.

You may not kill/loot the same player more than maybe max once a day but you won't be the only one killing/looting them that day.

Give them a little line and don't dry loot and rez kill them. If they do not come back (some of them won't), then put their items in a bag or drop it on ground so it take longer to decay and they may come back in time to get it.

If you can, give them a reason for why they have to die. I know not many do speak before they kill but just a macro, telling something will help making them feel better.

Even when they react like a trammy the first times they get killed, they may grow up and become a worthy Siege player.

It's not hard to make a diff even when you have to kill them and maybe loot something.

Also try to loot something they can replace, not their crappy non med LRC armor, they need it for training and you do not really need it.

Sure some are not worthy for the shard but trust me, they will quit even when you never loot and do rez.

Lets all do what we can to help the shard.

13. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Many moons ago, I was on GL. At the Brit bank, a man appeared. Ole' Farmer Bob or something like that. He was running helter skelter, yelling about his kidnapped daughter. He said evil mages had taken her, and though he did not know where, he saw demons, mages, and some great shadowy serpents. I was new and inexperienced, and had no idea what he was talking about. A few asked concerning his loss, but none ventured to help. He was also offering his life savings for rescuing her, I might add.

Later, in my journeys, I discovered the second level of destard. Ah- this was the place his daughter must have been held! I thought maybe it had been an in-game thing made by some gm or something, and if his daughter had been a prisoner like all prisoners, I probably COULD have rescued her and brought her back for the ransom, if only I had known where to look. Sad, I was.

I would imagine that our prominent and highly skilled EM could arrange something along these lines? If not, surely we ourselves could do it. It would take 1 hostage with monster ignore or ethereal journey, 1 dangerous location, one grief stricken family member, and a handful of enraged peasants with pitchforks- er- heroic rescuers.

I will chip in whatever I can for the reward, and/or event. I've been pretty busy in RL lately, but send a pm or something letting me know if anyone makes something, and if there is anything I could contribute.

14. I have a Charger of the fallen to donate for a reward if something could get going to help get more players here.

15. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Damn, you stole my thunder. I was about to post this almost word for word. Thee main problem IS item insurance on prodo shards. Once someone has gotten used to playin with all the major arty's (with zero possibility of losing them) and that person comes to siege and figures out the his uber leeto template cannot be played here, then it's bye bye time and he goes back to prodo with his tail between his legs. What they really don't realize is there are still alot of pvp'rs here that don't always equip with all these tremendous artifacts. But the fact that this pvp'r is used to fighting without them will make him a better pvp'r than the guy that is used to fighting with a decked out arty suit that doesn't wear the arty suit and tries to fight without them. It's just plain fear that keeps alot of the prodo'rs from coming here. They wanna be able to keep the stuff they've worked hard for and thats fine, but they are the ones that are missing out on the total rush that we all know as siege.

16. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

hey if I could get ore orcs I would colonize a new fort.....

hmm colon...guud word for orcs.....

17. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Bump

I do not think newbie only events are the answer.. I prefer to call these gimmicks. We need community events that serve more than just the crowd we wish to come to Siege, we need to show them that the community has things going on even for vets.

Sports, races, etc are very good idea.. prizes should however stick to trophies, maybe a modest sum of gold, equal to an entry fee.

Trying to bribe newbies with a million gold is, as I said, a gimmick. Noone has the funds or the will to keep these sorts of events going.

Fun is the answer. Fun is the reason we tell ourselves we still play.

18. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I remember many years ago, we had a naked murderer race.
    I don't remember much about it but it was about running from one place to an other without getting killed.

Maybe invite newbies, crafters without much PvP skills, PvM'ers and last PvP'ers and place them at the road, the weakest first and the PvP'ers near the end of the race.
    Could be from minoc to yew through Britain. only newbies and crafters should be allowed to kill them before Britain, then place PvM'ers from brit to brigand fort and PvP'ers from brigand fort to Yew (only one in each screen)

The winner is the one who get longest, stealth, mount and forms not allowed. No healing/cure from spells/skills but maybe allow 5 potions of GH, GC, TR potions, can be 5 of one kind or maybe 3 GH and 2 GC, just max 5 potions.
    Can't carry non resource using spellbooks, regs, RLC or ways to cast spells.

[​IMG]

Maybe it can draw some from other shards. I'm sure alot newbies and crafters would love to try to help killing one of their killers.

We could make it a montly event if an success.

19. sin laden

sin laden Guest

A Call to Arms: Revitalizing Siege

I know people here have might have mixed feelings about me. I've been called a whiner, and if you check my post history you'll see that this is maybe not an unfair judgment.

But I've noticed two kinds of people here, the people that hear what they want, and the people that actually listen.

When Darkfall came out my friend approached me about playing. He said "what if you could play a game again that allowed you to relive the glory days of UO?". I checked the website every day for a key (no luck), until one day I remembered rolling characters on that first day of Siege...imagine that, it turns out I COULD relive the glory days of UO.

Let's consider the facts...

It's going to be hard to convince PVP vets that have been coddled by item insurance to come here. I'm not sure targeting production shard players is going to be an effective strategy. Regardless, let's take what we can get.

I think we as a community need to try to gather some empirical evidence (perhaps NEW can administer surveys to all of its graduates) to understand WHERE our players are coming from? And more importantly, WHY they are coming here?

...let's stop making assumptions about who and what Siege is, and start asking the players instead.

Second, I agree the community focus can't be restricted to new players. I am going to suggest an idea here that can promote community for all players.

The important thing is that we don't need to wrack our brains here looking for a solution, there is a wide body of research out there for what works and doesn't work already. When you look at communities that have "turned themselves around," you find predictable and effective strategies.

And I'll tell you what ISN'T a strategy. It absolutely never was, and it absolutely never will be.

After an exchange about the NEW books, I witnessed in the Luna bank an exchange between two players. One asked the other why he was picking that book up. His reply was that because players had cried about it on the forum, he felt it necessary to act out.

This is the classic "us / them" mentality. If I can draw any analogue here, it would be that the veteran players of Siege are living in a brand spanking new set of gated condos right next to a slum. New players on this server are expected to live in filth and like it. But the players don't like it. It doesn't take long before a break in occurs in the parking garage and several residents have their cars vandalized. A mugging is reported soon after. The animosity between these two groups is growing to a fever pitch, and rather than resolve the problems, those living in the condos continue to approach the problem another way: thicker walls, higher gates, and 24 hour security guards.

Modern community theory shows everything in my example to be the wrong approach. Like many urban centers in America today, Austin, TX became heavily gentrified in the late 90s. Unlike many of those cities, it is doing something about it. Mueller is a community built in Austin last year focused on creating a community with diversity (both racial and economic). The idea was to build a community that wasn't stratified by monetary resources. Low income housing shares the same sidewalks as some rather wealthy homes. It has the lowest rate of reported incidents in the city.

I'm much more likely to throw a rock through someone else's window than my own...communities work the same way. When the principle of inclusion is applied, the results are predictable: people will act in a more socially responsible way.

I have a challenge for the players of Siege Perilous living in penthouse suites.

I live in fear every hour I spend on this server. I run around in bad equipment, and I mindlessly mash buttons to raise my skills. And I can't really see how it will ever pay off. Let's be honest, I might have upgraded out of my rat laden apartment, but I'm still not brushing elbows with the guys towering over me in "Grand Oaks" luxury apartment complex haha.

Here is my challenge. Come brush elbows with me. Once a week. For 2 hours.

We get it, you are pvp gods...your bank is filled with gold, jewels, and elite artifacts. Do us a favor...teach us.

Teach us how you do what you do. 2 hours a week...participate in PVP clinics where you bestow the essentials of defense to new players. TAKE SOMEONE ON A HUNT. FOR GOD'S SAKE, TAKE THESE NEW PLAYERS ON A HUNT.

Let's all get behind this thing. If we half ass it, it fails. For 2 hours on Sunday, I want to see a guild like TnT working alongside NEW rather than against them. Yes, I know many players are doing this already, I want to see EVERYONE doing this. I want every single new player that comes to this server to have a custodian, on some level...a player that takes personal stake in that new player's success or failure on the shard. That will ICQ them when they haven't been on in a while and see what's up.

And there should be accountability. If your person quits, we record that. I think we need to know who is getting people here, and who is sending them away. And to those of you that will send them away, beware, you may be the next one getting sent away.

Set you watch...when the clock strikes 6:00 pm all bets are off...rock me, dry loot me, crave attention by carving my corpse up into little pieces and turning my eyeballs into soup.

If Siege had a "big brother" / "big sister" program, I can guarantee you it would go a LONG way towards eliminating the perception that new players will NEVER overcome the challenges this server offers.

Right now, I feel like a white boy living in the projects trying to go to Harvard. Non-protected status males typically exceed the 98th percentile in standardized testing scores and GPA for that school. And I've got a board full of Harvard admissions people telling me "if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen."

That's actually not what Harvard does. It sends its professors into the community to teach in the poorest schools. It requires a commitment of service from each and every one of them. Harvard is a school that believes in sending the message to the underprivileged that it is a school for anyone with the talent and the drive to refine it. Can't we be that server?

Can we stop saying "suck it up or GTFO?" for just 2 hours a week? Honestly, I'm realizing I could learn a lot from a player like Krystal.

Drop this "us / them" for 2 hours a week, because soon there won't be any of "them" left.

Thanks,

20. poisonarms

poisonarms Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Well said.

21. FrejaSP

Can be hard to listen, when you speak like a waterfall :)

22. Nakukak

Nakukak Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Wait....
    I said wait...

I cant believe this, your actualy doing something? I mean just sit back? :)

23. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Wow, AR:27, where have those days gone?

24. FrejaSP

Sadly they are long gone