1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Trading] Community 'heads up'

Discussion in 'UO Rares Collector' started by Petra Fyde, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

It has been brought to our attention that at least 3 proven scammers are currently active and could be evading Stratics bans. We are investigating this, in the meantime please take extra care when trading with unknowns.

2. BigEv

BigEv Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks for the heads up......Getum Petra! :gun:

3. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Thank you very much, Petra! :grouphug:

4. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

Glad I could be of service. :)

5. PoCove

PoCove Guest

Thanks for the info...

6. blend

blend Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Thanks for heads up info

7. blend

blend Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

They are to protect the buyer's
    I think this call for Very useful

that do not condemn anyone
    But if someone might be offended...sorry

8. Lord Nabin

Lord Nabin High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Glorious Lord ACW

9. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Considering that no names were mentioned in this thread, there is no way that you could know who is being talked about. While Restroom Cowboy is quick to take credit for this - the information that brought about this post was already being tracked long before he brought up anything - and his "assumption" is not what led to Petra's post.

I can also guarantee you that the people we are concerned about are not ones who look guilty due to an internet issue - nor could they ever make amends for their past activities. Over many years, there are just too many victims for it to be an internet issue - and many of the victims no longer play UO so there is no way to make it right. The ones we are discussing are long term scammers that have been in and out of the game for years. Believe me - we've done our research on these individuals and there is no doubt. All that remains is confirming the ties between the original scammers and their new identities on Stratics and elsewhere. And yes - we are 100% sure that there are active scammers out there - there always have been and probably always will be.

Since we have named no names, there is no way we could be harming someone's reputation. The intent is not to "cause fear" but to serve as a reminder that precautions should be taken to avoid being scammed in any transaction. That is always good advice.

As to our duties as mods, admins, authority figures, etc. - this is a part of those duties. Since we do not allow personal attacks on the forums, many scammers will hide behind the rules and continue to prey on the innocent. Educating the public is the best way that we can help prevent these type of crimes. It is just like the police posting crime statistics. You don't know who - but you know what and can use that information to better protect yourself from being victimized.

10. viergedarkmoon

viergedarkmoon Journeyman

Well said Tazar! I hope you are able to determine who they are and ban them. We will all be better off.

11. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor

Agree with the first part, as for the second part.. I say identify them on the boards also. I can understand not announcing who they are during an "investigation" but after a thorough investigation and gulit is proven then Sr. Mods or above should be able to announce to the community who it is. I doubt seriously at that level or above the folks would not rush to judgement, or post person X just as a vendetta. Just my .02.

12. Tazar

Tazar Guest

If UO had a unique naming requirement, then I'd agree - but without that - too many innocent bystanders will get caught in the crossfire.

13. Bon Iver

Bon Iver Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013

Ouch.

14. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

tiggertessa2007: If you'd like to contact me by pm and tell me who you think we're accusing I will attempt to clarify the matter.

This thread was the result of several messages, Restroom Cowboy's was only one of them. We have accused no one, and as yet we have not positively linked any new accounts to those that are banned. We have merely cautioned people to take a little extra care when trading with unknowns.

Further, the banned posters reached that status by total disregard of Stratics rules of conduct. We cannot take action against people for their conduct in game, merely for conduct on our boards.

We do not base our actions on the erroneous guesswork of crusading posters.