1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Computer crashed shortly after re-entering the newbie crypt - now whole PC wont start

Discussion in 'Project: Gorgon Discussion Hall' started by ErasmusPrime, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ErasmusPrime

ErasmusPrime Visitor

Hey everyone,

Just figured I would post here in case this has happened to anyone else. By all means, it may have just been a coincidence but I have had no problems like this with this PC before. My game/comp locked up and when I rebooted I got an unexpected I/O error.

File: \boot\bcd

2. ErasmusPrime

ErasmusPrime Visitor

Tried booting from windows 7 install disc. Hangs at "Starting Windows" after loading files.

Crap.

3. Qyra

Qyra Adventurer

I/O is hardware, your hard drive took a **** :(

4. ALinkToTheFuture

I recommend a new hard drive and a hard drive recovery station.

5. Qyra

Qyra Adventurer

Ya go with a Solid State

6. Citan

Citan Project: Gorgon Developer
    VIP

Qyra likes this.
  7. ErasmusPrime

ErasmusPrime Visitor

I ended up being able to reinstall Windows to my OS partition after wiping it, it just took forever. I think it was about 4.5 hours from the "Press any key to boot from CD" line to when the install finished.

I ended up being able to get back into the game last night for an hour or so before I headed off to bed. I'll probably play a bunch tonight again, fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Like you said, it is probably nothing to do with the game but I'll post again in this thread if it happens again and, if it does, what I was doing when it happened.

8. seasidelion

seasidelion Adventurer

posting your hardware might help anyone with future troubleshooting!

9. Citan

Citan Project: Gorgon Developer
    VIP

Glad to hear that! I'd still recommend googling chkdsk and following the instructions to run it. It will take hours but will isolate any bad sectors on your hard drive. It sounds like you just have a bad sector.

10. ErasmusPrime

ErasmusPrime Visitor

I actually need to update this. The comp died again the next day after re-installing. I used this opportunity to justify going to pick up a SSD and some extra ram for cheap to bring my system up to 8gigs. Everything is running nice and smooth and I am actually kicking myself for waiting so long to get a SSD. Huge difference.