1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

(Question) Computer hardware malfunction

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Freelsy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Freelsy

Freelsy Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Ok, so I was vacuuming the carpet in my new apartment this evening. Blew a fuse. Crazy for a sweeper to blow the fuse but whatever. So I go to turn my computer back on and the damn thing isn't working. Here's the lowdown

I can see the blue lights inside the tower. The liquid cooling is working (i can hear the pump pushing water though) the fans are working. However, the side USB ports and back USB ports arn't working. Neither of my monitor ports are working.

So I cannot use my mouse, keyboard, or monitors. I can't tell if anything else is wrong because I can't see the screen.

Question is. What the hell happened? Is it the motherboard? The video cards? what controls all the inputs/ports stuff? I'm completely computer illiterate.

Oh and I plugged everything into an old computer I have and it's all fine. Mouse works, key board works and monitors work...

2. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

That sucks.

Just wanted to say, try also the Tech forum if you havenĀ“t already...

3. retrorider

retrorider Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Sounds like one or more of 3 things, either power supply or logic board or cpu. Could be all 3.

I would first try a known good power supply and see happens.

Good luck!

4. Monolith

Monolith Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

I dont believe its the power supply. Your recieving power, I know its only few items recieving power, but the Power supply doesn't have a brain to only power certain items. If it was the power supply, you would have weak to no power to all power items.

Me....I think its your mother board.

5. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

when motherboard boots you should hear a post beep. do you hear that?
    can you open the side panel and see if any lights are on the motherboad - id little led light.
    if motherboard is ok then maybe the video card is bad? or are you using build-in video?

lorddog