1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Considering playing again

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by AirGoliath, Mar 8, 2009.

1. AirGoliath

AirGoliath Guest

Hello,

I'm considering returning to UO. I understand that alot has changed, but now people for the most part only get 1 blessed item on siege, returning some fairness to it, if you would...

Anyways, my question is how many active people are there on Siege and how many should I expect to find online at one time?

Is there alot of cheating that takes place or not?

Anyways, just considereing it...I've also read a little about a new client coming out to replace the Kingdom Reborn client....which will introduce gargoyles as a new race to play, so I'm considering waiting until then as well...

Well, thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

-AG

2. Bruin

Bruin Guest

While the shard population is lower than others, there are enough people always on that there is something to do.

There is some cheating that takes place, not as much on other shards though. It's never really hit home to me so to speak. Who knows when they will have SA ready, so I say join now =)

3. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

dont do it you will only DIE

4. Selan

Selan Guest

Just do it, you know you want to. You've no choice at this point.

5. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

Shh you!!! Mr Negative God!

6. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Dont wait, get it now. We need another player :)

If your looking for an account give me a shout, pm/post/icq - 310357344...

Goodluck hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

-Lord Puffy

7. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Puffy,

Maybe I missed the memo, but what happened to DF? Not trying to troll, just curious as to why you're back here.

-H

8. AirGoliath

AirGoliath Guest

Thanks for the replies folks...

Puffy, sent you a PM and I'm on ICQ right now...370-520-836

If any other folks want to chit chat on ICQ, send me a message...

-AG

9. Derrick83

Derrick83 Guest

I have came back to read the boards once again too.

I have played UO on and off(mostly on) since 97. Been away about a year now. Never played Siege, however normal shards are way to spread out. You never see anyone and last time I played it was all about X sharding every other week to another shard to find someone new to PvP against. Then eventually your whole guild would lave UO to play another game together.

Anyways, getting bored with the last few games I have been playing, I was considering another comeback to UO. Instead of normal shards I was thinking about Siege.

Biggest thing I am not looking forward to is that after 11 years of playing this game, starting a new character that has 0 skills, no equipment and having to train it up again. Normally it wouldnt be so bad, however this ROT system, while it has some good points, also greatly limits how long it takes to get a character into fighting shape. Getting 5 to 6 skills from from 70 up to 110 or 120 range would take MONTHS.

Just adding it up.
    Min of 12 days 6 skills from 70 to 80 ..... 6 skills = 60pts = 12 days @ 5 per day
    Min of 15 days 6 skills from 80 to 90 ..... 6 skills = 60pts = 15 days @ 4 per day
    Min of 20 days 6 skills from 90 to 100.... 6 skills = 60pts = 20 days @ 3 per day
    Min of 20 days 6 skills from 100 to 110... 6 skills = 60pts = 20 days @ 3 per day

12 + 15 + 20 + 20 = 67 days MIN to get a char to 6x 110.

Thats a big commitment to reactivate a account, and try something new that going in, you know takes 2 months of work before you can enjoy it AND that you are not sure your even going to like yet :/

Just not sure what to do...

10. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Derrick - you are absolutely correct - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

When I first started on Siege, I had characters on Pacific that were about 3-4 years old. None of them had magic resist >85 at the time.

On Siege, I GM'd it in 3 months.

Yes, it will take you 67 days minimum to get 6x110, but look at it another way:
    Training from 70-80 you will max out gains in 50 minutes a day training all 6 skills.
    80-90 - 54 minutes per day.
    90-100 - 60 minutes per day.
    100-110 - 75 minutes per day.

I think my calculations are correct. Basically that means you can have a full 6x110 character in under 70 hours playing time. And you can log in and out to maximize those gains and minimize the required playing time. While it might take 67 days to get to that 70 hours playing time, I know many skills on other shards that would almost take 70 hours just to get to 110 by themselves.

This ROT system was built for preventing people from powergaming and getting that 6x120 character in 1 week, and it works very well for the casual gamer. Pretty much around 90 days of spending only 1 hour per day will get you a fully maxed out character.

I know people focus in on how long it takes in the number of days, but people tend to forget how little effort you need to put in each day to get there.

Plus, the journey is 1/2 the fun!

11. Derrick83

Derrick83 Guest

I can see the good points in it for sure. However, I have been playing this game since 1997 and I've been through the journey.. MANY times. In UO the journey is not 1/2 the fun... in WoW or EQ or EQ2..... the journey is almost ALL of the fun, however in UO the game beings when you get your skills higher.

Again after 11+ years in this game the PvP is what keeps bringing me back. Seige's pvp is different because of what people DO equip because of lack of insurance. That does entice me, however, having to start from 0, it will be months before I can PvP effectively.

I dont want to play 1 hour a day.. if i am paying for the game I want to log in and do stuff... and theirs nothing i can do in the 70s, 80s and even 90s that really "interest" me anymore. So honestly I would be logging in 1 hour a day JUST to gain skill.. thats more like a "job" than a "game" to me. I think the ROT should kick in after 85 or 90.

Either way its the thought of not being able to do the things that I enjoy in the game on the Seige shard for 3+ months that makes think the other way.

12. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*smiles* NEW is one way to go. I do promise, you wont regret starting Siege.

13. Derrick83

Derrick83 Guest

Oh I dont doubt it either. Looking at the environment, it looks like I may enjoy it a lot. However, I if I start up UO again.. I want to PLAY the game.. not log in a hour every day to get my gains for 3 months.... THEN get to play the game.

See here is my problem. I have an account full of finished characters I could reactivate and PvP with on Legends. What I DONT want to do is start investing time on that shard because it will be easy to want to go back and play those chars since I dont have to do anything but go out and PvP.

I do want to try seige, but like I said, I am debating canceling my other games and reactivating my UO account. If I did that and started seige, I know for a fact that before I can even get into the community and PvP and fight viably, it will be 3+ months.

The thing is that I imagine(could be wrong) that most people have their whole character designed around the 1 most uber weapon they can find and have it blessed. Having said that, I would be coming in having no item, but would have to build my character around a item i would HOPE to find. I would have no money or means to buy such item, almost no chance of finding it through low luck PVM.

I mean for the first 3 days, I can play for 3 or 4 hours and get all skill to 70. Past then, what am I going to do every day for 2 months and 27 days? At 70 skills you cant really kill anything fun. Cant kill paragon stuff(if they even exist here), cant really kill any high level mobs that drops decent stuff later use...just kind of "log in and get my gains." Thats not really fun.

I mean if it was like, 3 weeks or something that would be fine, but 3 months is a $45 investment for something I am not sure I even will enjoy. ROT is nice, but forcing DOWN the amount of gains per day so that a power game only gets as many gains as a casual player that plays 1 hour a day is bit extreme. The ROT system is genius, but capping gains in the 70s at 5 points per char per day is a bit extreme i think.

14. Bruin

Bruin Guest

For $45 you could just buy an account and start playing right away.

Most people build a template they like then find their weapon, its usually not they find a weapon then build a template around it - but that can happen.

Also remember, you can just train 1-2 skills per day in rot. For example, if you're going to be a swordsman, just train swords 3-4 hours a day and no other skills and get swords to 100+ in a couple weeks. With say 100+ swords, 70 chiv, 70 med, 70 tactics, 70 anat, 70 resist, 70 bushido you could at least go out there and kill some decent spawns then slowly work up the more important skills.

15. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

While getting to ROT you kill monsters and loot the gold. I made will over 1 million killing Titans/Cyl Warriors, plenty to buy a great weapon, a blessable weapon on Siege can range from 500k to 50 million.

The point I think you have missed it that making at least one char from scratch is (imho) must on Siege, it is during this time (3 months) that you will get a feel for the shard and the guilds, the playstyle of alot of chars. It is this information that will help you to pick the correct guild.

Siege also has a few advantages over Prodo, things like Monster Ignore would be the dream of many prodo bank sitters, if the only took the chance!

I gave up alot when I came here and would do it again in a second!

jump in the water's fine!

16. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

*waves hand in best Jedi manner*
    come to Siege- you WANT to come to Siege. You don't need to go anywhere else.....

17. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

you know, it just doesn't FEEL like to long, either. Because you will be having fun, meeting people, making alliances- and listing people to look up when you are trained. The time goes rather quickly, actually.

18. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

get scrolls of alacrity- they help

19. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

I can sell you an account if you dont want to go through rott Icq:

20. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

Agreed 100% I left great lakes with 3 Stacked accounts multiple mills a damn fine suit on almost all my 18 toons multiple uber weps and came to siege with nothing now i have a mule and a mage right at being finished working on my third toon. This is the uo i enjoy the adrenaline rush of the fight is back and i wouldnt hesitate to do it again...

21. Førsaken

Førsaken Guest

Go Donkeys!

22. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

Its a mule!.... I hate you

23. Selan

Selan Guest

I have complete chars on Baja, LS, and Atlantic. 6X120's and all that. I came to siege and haven't looked back. Let my house decay on Baja and haven't logged into any server but siege since starting here. You won't regret it. Just do it.

24. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

You know. That is pretty much my story.

25. Førsaken

Førsaken Guest

DONKEY LOVER!

26. Blindside

Blindside Guest

damn jack ass'es