1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Couple of questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by Grumbler, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Grumbler

Grumbler Guest

Hey all,

Was shopping in walmart when I saw a copy of Ultima Online 9th Anniversy edition for $20 and decided to give it a go. Now I must say that i'm not a complete "noob" to Ultima, but it's been years since I've last played.
    My main concern at the moment is shard selection and character selection. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a populated shard for someone who lives on the east coast, one that has guild support available for newbies would be best.
    I'm also curious as to what class selection I should choose for my newbie, looking over all the documents I think I like the look of an animal tamer the best, but worry that it may be too hard to start one from the beggining. Any input would be great. Thanks.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

The most populated shard is Atlantic, which just happens to also be an East coast shard.

Remember you're not limited to 1 character, you can have several different ones. Also character type is not set, you can mix and match, raise and lower skills till you get just what you feel comfortable with. You can also try different things on the test shard.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Best place to look for that would probably be the shard board
    UO Atlantic
  4. joblackjon

joblackjon Guest

Something you probably aren't aware of...Advanced Character Tokens. Check UO's site for details. You can purchase the tokens from UO ($) and from chars/vendors inside the game (gold).

Personally I would only use an Advanced Token for a Tamer, Bard, Crafter or Mage.
  5. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Jul 16, 2003
    I'd probably limit that to tamer or bard, personally.

The quests make it easy to get to 50 tinker/50 smith/50 miner these days, and the salvage bag so ups the ingot return that it isn't as cost-intensive to train anymore.

Add in a few ML & SE items instead of the old AOS & earlier stand-bys for training (especially shurikens and assassin blades for smith, and the cloth ninja hoods for tailors), and one can train up a crafter fast AND cheap.

A mage can get 50 eval/50 mage/50 resist/50 scribe/50 med just as quickly, and throwing together a cheap 100% LRC suit from loot and casting on yourself can get you to the token levels quickly.

It's the bard and tamer stuff that is a pain in the rear. So bad, that when I made my tamer bard, I used two tokens worth of skills for it.
  6. Prudentis

Prudentis Guest

Have you tried KR allready?
    Give it a try, we need feedback, especially from the not so "die hard" 2d users [​IMG]