1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Creating my characters here...advice appreciated

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by DreadLord Lestat, Feb 2, 2010.

1. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

Ok I am going to make 2 characters here. One will be a mule and one will be for fighting PvM/PvP. Lets start with a mule.

Ok he will be somewhat gimped as I am going to put both lumberjacking and mining on him. I am guessing hiding will be a must. Do I need gm hiding or will less be viable? This mule will be for earning extra coins, not as much for outfitting my fighter so what will the best mule skills be here? Are there any crafters needed now that not many have? Here is what I will have and the rest is open for input.

100 Lunberjack
    100 Mining
    100 (or highest needed) Hiding

that leaves 420 points so depending on what I go with I can either use magery or chivalry but it will most likely be magery since it is needed for certain things in carpentry and inscription. I am pretty much ruling out inscription for now since I won't have money for regs for that for quite some time.

Now for the fighter, this one will be a bit more difficult for me I think. I want to be able to PvM but I also want to be able to initiate some PvP as well. I don't know if I should just make it a PvP template and hope that I can do some higher end PvM as well or go for some kind of balance knowing that I would probably be no match for someone specced and geared for PvP only. I don't think that I want to put in all of the mindnumbing hours to do a tamer so unless all else fails, I won't be a tamer. I am asking for PvP/Template advice in this thread http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1595059#post1595059

2. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

First of all, you are going to have to be in factions to do any type of pvp. Faction gear has made pvp'ing outside of factions obsolete. So whatever you do, make some sort of template to be able to farm silver.

3. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Crafter:

100 LJ
    100 Mine
    120 Smith
    120 Tailor
    100 Tink
    80 Mage(use jewelery + spell book to get 110)
    100 Hide

PvM/PvPer:

120 Swords
    100 Parry
    90 Tact
    100 Resist
    120 Bush
    90 heal
    100 med

4. Urin

Urin Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I think you should probably consider getting by without hiding on your crafter, particularly since you will need arms lore on him in order to have his output compete with that of other blacksmiths. Soulstones are of course a way around this.

5. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

well if ur gonna get soulstones, dont make ur crafter worthless in a fight when ur out collecting goodies have some good fight or getaway skills and one resource collecting skill and just trade skills as u need them

6. Freelsy

Freelsy Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

put your crafter in factions and use the faction stone :)

7. Black Tom

Black Tom Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Hiding won't be that useful since you auto reveal when mining. Also, without stealth you might hide if someone approaches, but won't be able to get away. They can just reveal, eq or use fields, etc... to find you.

Substitute arms lore to Speedys template. Get a mage bow and you will be able to kill ore elementals. May I ask why the LJ if you aren't going to run carpentry or bowcrafting?

If you are going for a gatherer char, try mining, LJ, then run some sword/tact/anat/chiv. Use and mage to heal. I even ran music and disco which made monster bashing fun for that char.

Mainly, you just want to find something you enjoy doing with your chars. have fun.

8. Damien Softstep

Damien Softstep Visitor

All that advice and his crafter wont have imbuing?

Put imbuing on your crafter...

9. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

It is my opinion that you drop hiding for this one, if you're only risking losing some wood and ore, thats easy enough to gather again. Use the 100 points for tinkering instead, you'll need to make your own shovels and axes, tinker tools and sewing kits, etc...

I would suggest magery, so you can easily get to and from all the mining hot spots with all that heavy ore and fire beetle.

Now, depending on your preference ( assuming you will not use Soulstones ),

If you're going to be supplying your own clothes you will want:

100 Lumberjack
    100 Mining
    100 Tinkering
    100 Armslore
    100 Tailoring
    100 Magery
    100 - 120 Imbuing ( depending on your skill cap )

You can modify a weapon you find with imbuing, without having to craft one with blacksmithy, and since you can Siege bless it, it is the suit and jewels you will need to replace often, tinkering and tailoring allow this. A decent mage weapon with + magery jewels will allow you to gather leather, or your fighter char can do that for you. I suggest being Human for this. You can carry more weight, ride a mount, and equip a basic hatchet ( which gargoyles can't, they require double axes to chop wood at 24 ignots a piece, and Blacksmith required to make them )

If you're just after coins from gathered resources you will want:

100 Lumberjack
    100 Mining
    100 Tinkering
    110 Magery
    100 Alchemy
    100 - 120 Weapon Skill ( depending on your skill cap )
    _90 Tactics

The weapon Skill and tactics will allow you to gather leather. Alchemy is a good money maker on Siege, and you can make your own bottles with GM mining. Wood, Ore, Leather, and Potions will make you rich.

10. Hugibear

Hugibear Guest

couple of things you need to think about before you make the crafter. You gonna go archery or non archer on your other guy. If you go archer you will need lumber, and feltching, if you dont have achery than blacksmith/mine. Imbuing, arms lore, tailoring, alchemy, and 60 mage (really all you need jewels @30+10 from book =s 40 so you would have 100. I wouldnt waste my time with hiding.

pvp/pvm guy again there are 2 ways to go either a sammy or a wammy.
    sammy
    120 bush
    120 weapn
    120 parry
    100 necro
    100 tact
    60 chiv
    Than either 100 anat or 100 resist.
    A wammy
    120 bush
    120 archery
    120 ss
    105 necro
    65 chiv
    90 tact
    either 100 anat, or 100 resist.
    *For pvp you will need med with this template.
    Both temps are stong for pvm, and with a minor soulstone change can be very strong in pvp. Even without the changes you can pvp on both temps.

11. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I am going to assume your thinking sacred journey will work here because you mentioned chiv. The only way to travel is using gate spell, or peoples house gate thingys.
    If you enjoy harvesting resources and crafting then by all means make a mule otherwise go bard/tamer/t-hunter.

Look into joining NEW as well just having the tag more people will stop and talk to you.

12. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

I haven't decided what to put on as I don't know much about siege which is why I am asking. For example, I would hate to put 120 into tailoring if Tailors are a dime a dozen or if no one buys tailor made stuff. However, if fletchers are few and far inbetween I would probably want to include fletching. Since you can only have 1 siege character per account I want to maximize the needed skills and ignore the lesser needed skills. On my prodo shard I have all craft and gathering skills and enjoy them all so I am just trying to maximize my mule. :)

13. Urin

Urin Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I think it was suggested primarily as a means for healing. Chiv is more cost-effective in terms of skill points for healing relative to the healing skill or magery.

14. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Tailor sells real well, since people can lose their armour. To make good suits that people will buy, you'll need Tailoring, Arms Lore, and Imbuing.

PVP consumables also sell very well. These would be:
    Potions - need alchy.
    Poisoned darts/stars - need tinkering? and poisoning.
    Smoke bombs/Egg bombs - Alchy or cooking respectively, but I hear the egg bombs are cheaper to produce.

If I was to build a character solely to provide wares to sell to people, I'd go:
    Alchy, tailoring, arms lore, imbuing - and i'm sure there's another thing for sale or skillset i'm missing that someone else could suggest.

15. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Also think about SS last time I saw one for sale a ss token went for 2 mil.
    You might want to PM some of the crafters on the shard to find out what sells well.
    "I think it was suggested primarily as a means for healing. Chiv is more cost-effective in terms of skill points for healing relative to the healing skill or magery."
    Just be human and use JOAT that and chug pots. But why would a crafter need healing? The only thing they need to fear is PKs.