1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Creation of ftp:// links

Discussion in 'Stratics Help and Suggestions' started by Lord Obsidian, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Lord Obsidian

Lord Obsidian Journeyman
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Benefactor

I am trying to insert an "ftp://..." link here:
    http://stratics.com/community/threads/shard-ip-addresses.249180/#post-2003337
    but I somehow can't get this to work. The board always removes the colon after the protocol "ftp:" and therefore breaks the link. Even when editing the bb-code, the link gets malformed after saving.
    On the other hand, if I don't want to have the string highlighted as link, the board software automatically recognizes the string as URL and lists it as malformed link.
    Am I doing something wrong here or is this a (possibly intentional) limitation of the board?

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

3. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

The
    Code:
     BBCode tags may also work.

4. Lord Obsidian

Lord Obsidian Journeyman
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Benefactor

A quick search revealed that this behaviour seems to be by design:
    http://xenforo.com/community/threads/url-bbcode-stripping-colon.69649/
    I can see the security issues rising without protocol limitations in effect, nevertheless I fail to grasp where the problem with plain ftp links is, as they are usually handled by the browser itself... o_O
    Anyway, thank you for your replies. :)