1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

(Question) Creation of Vendor Mall , Questions!

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Arradin, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Arradin

Arradin Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Hello Siege,

As i am now GM in most crafting skills ( Most important one remaining, Imbuing, but oh well, thats next :) ) i am in the process in my mind of creating the vendor mall i have been aiming to create here.. having Everything craftable in stock at all times, and doing Official custom orders , Imbuing etc, you name it...

However, as YOU guys would be the customers, i have two scenarios i need help with your imput on.

basicly, it comes down to the question if a vendor house MUST be a good location to be profitable , or if you would travel to my shop either way if its good enough?

The two scenarios are:

1) Creating Vendor Mall at my castle. Not the best of locations, but its a no spawn area, and i would aim to have teleports to the inside of the castle from Hubs and whoever let me, giving it somewhat easy access aswell as being " safe " as its inside the castle , and i could Ban out whoever makes trouble...
    This is my prefered option, as it would leave ME in control, i could set it up as i please, and i can make it LONGterm without any worries.

2) Renting spots in a current or very good location vendor house.
    Drawbacks are the obvious ones, it would cost me more and i would need to raise prises accordingly, but would most likely generate the most traffic and sales, keeping costs down... Risk is also that the owner may at any time cancel the deal or sell/move, making it not so stable long run....

What are your guys opinions on this?
    If enough people would considering traveling to my house to shop, i will go for that one... but im not sure at all, thats why i need YOUR help.

and also, IF i decide to create this 40+ Vendor mall at my castle, would there be any of you who would let me put down house teleporters at YOUR house(s) for easier access for pro's and newbs alike?

Thank you so much for your time and imput.

// Arradin

2. Barania

Barania Slightly Crazed

I'd think that folks would travel if they knew that they could find what they wanted...spawn probably isn't a big deal for a lot of people. That being said stocking about 40 vendors regularly, if that is what you mean, seems like a task of Herculean proportions...I couldn't imagine pulling it off.

There are probably folks near a gate that would let you throw up a few vendors for nothing if they were pretty much non-competing just to generate traffic. I've kicked the idea around myself. Know I haven't answered the question and good luck on the vendoring and merchandising.

Jack Nickelson

3. Amber Witch

Amber Witch Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Gilfane

The most important thing I think is to keep the vendors well stocked. If people can count on the vendors being stocked with what they have come for you'll have repeat and loyal customers. Location isn't all that important once you've gotten established. Having a teleporter will help you do that. Who knows, it could be the start of a new vendor area. If it's good enough others may want to place vendor houses in the same area.

40 vendors is going to kill you unless you let other crafters have vendors at the house. If you do it yourself you'll burn out. If you have other people place vendors you'll have to become a dragon lady and get after people to keep their vendors stocked.

All said, it's a lot of work but it can be loads of fun and very rewarding in many ways.

That's my 2 cents.
    Best of luck to you in your new venture.

4. HoldenCaulfield

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crimson Savages CLAN

Echoing some of what has been said by others, I don't think location is extremely critical with the teleporters, player hubs, and also the upcoming vendor search (buying runes/map - although haven't read how/if that works on siege).

I do believe keeping a vendor stocked (whether 1 or 40) is the absolute best way to help/promote Siege and players at the same time. Empty vendors are always an eyesore and I am guilty of that when I take breaks, but with the new search it will be great to get back 'results' when that goes live. Also it is a way to make gold and help others when you are offline as your vendors are always there.

Hope your project comes full speed and you enjoy the craft!

5. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Concur with the thoughts so far. Luna/New Mag/Zento/Gate vendors are always going to have an advantage, particularly in casual sales, but a regularly-stocked vendor will get a following and the vendor search will be a huge boon. But as Amber says, forty vendors is just going to burn you out fast I would think.

6. Arradin

Arradin Sage

Thank you so much everyone for your opinions, and this thread has given me a solution which is best of the best.

Tazar has been generious enough to let me use one of his Luna houses for this purpose, and work is beginning by the end of the week!
    Excited, and thank you all!

Tjalle and Amber Witch like this.