1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Cu dilemna...

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by simonovsk, Feb 28, 2008.

1. simonovsk

simonovsk Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Hi, this is to get some advice about a Cu I got the other day.

Here are his stats :

hp 543
    str 603
    dex 78
    int 270

Resists : 65 - 42 - 84 - 50 - 81

The heart of the problem is it's got very low Hps. It is untrained, so should gain about 9 through raising his str, but that will still leave him with 552 hps, which is loooowwww.

On the other end, it's got the best resists I found so far.

I won't be using it for pvp at all, do the experienced tamers reckon the low hps will be a problem in pvm situations?

Any help apreciated, this is my first tamer and I'm still largely ignorant on the subject of pets [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I personally think HP is over rated. While I definately would not want a 500 hp dog,a 540 sumthing with great resists ain`t that bad imo.

I play with a couple rl friends,I`ve seen 520 dogs with subpar resists standing tall with Mel.

I would always take a mediocre hp dog with great resists over a hi hp dog with sub par resists anyday.

3. Just recently tamed a new Cu for my 2nd tamer, I wasn't trying for high hp, because I believe as well hp can be overrated if it has high resist.

Hp: 584
    Str: 607
    Dex: 125
    Intl: 287
    57/45/83/49/83

It happend to work out well even with alittle lower physical resist, got him trained to 100% on all skills except resist and healing, I'm in the process of doing that now.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Low hp and low strength. Very nice resists.

For me, if it was going on anything but a discord tamer, I'd pass.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Eggs

[​IMG]
    Hatchlings

5. Guest

Guest Guest

the hp and str wont change since they are both over 125. only when a pet's stats are under 125 will they rise up through training.

if a dog is 600 max hp and like 612 max str, then neither are much of a concern when you look at those awesome resists. I would suggest running it through the pet power calc, which is stickied in this forum, but that looks like a nice use all the time pup.

6. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

That is definitely not a throw away puppy. My suggestion is to keep it until you find something better. Those resists are amazing though - 8 below max is extremely good.

7. <blockquote><hr>

I would suggest running it through the pet power calc, which is stickied in this forum, but that looks like a nice use all the time pup.

[/ QUOTE ]The pet power calc has some serious flaws in the basic math.

Try putting in 1 strength then 999 strength for anything. It changes the overall score by .1-.2 only. Thats a serious problem.

It's a basic mistake, using real numbers and percentages mixed instead of using just one in the calc.

I told Kit about it long ago, and I mentioned it in the sticky here.

8. That's a great cu...
    It's nice having good hp on a cu, but great resists are much more important imo.

The way I see it, the cu fills the role of a tank; not a high-dmg monster (low overall dps). For that reason, you often will use a cu to tank high-damage hits that harder hitting pets may not be able to handle.

540+ hp is PLENTY... you just need enough HP that the cu doesn't take a burst of hard hits and go down... you just need time to react.

9. I agree... the pet calc is completely useless. I would argue that I can give a more accurate assessment of a pet's power just by glancing over its stats.

About strength since I see other people are talking about it.

A min str cu only hits about 1 dmg less per hit than a max str cu. Str is pretty much irrelevant on a cu. Dex is completely irrelevant because you can train it to 125 and dex can never be over the 145ish mark to improve swing rate. I guess dex may impact healing, but I'm not sure.

10. frodofeet

frodofeet Guest

Yep, I agree with most too. That's a great Cu, the HP isn't very low, only 50ish off max, which is nothing really when you are talking about taking damage from high-end critters. That's just like 1 hit, and you'll be keeping him/her vetted anyway. The resists &amp; str far outweigh the HP imho [​IMG]

11. minick

minick Guest

It is a real nice pup. I too am somewhat soured on the calculator, though I admit to using it...just not as a chief reason for release or no release.

But, just for comparison, I have one that is 548..63/43/81/50/80 that rolls a 4.1

Yours is clearly superior in stats so I'm sure its a 4+

Maynard

12. Guest

Guest Guest

ah...I apologize for the reference if it is no good, sorry :/ i didn't think it had so many issues