1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Curious, if you are new to Siege, did you start with NEW?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Bruin, Mar 16, 2009.

?

If you started Siege within the last year, did you join NEW?

1. Yes, when I started Siege I joined NEW

30 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. No, when I started Siege I did not join NEW

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Due to the concern with the removal of the locked down NEW books, I'm just curious as to how many people who play Siege have truly been affected by NEW. So what I'm trying to find out what percentage of people who were new to Siege within the last year used NEW or not.

2. Nabber

Nabber Guest

I returned to UO about 2 months ago from 2003, yes I joined NeW and I had an amazing time, I am back to stay.

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

With in the last year? I was in NEW for a while when I started almost 6 years ago...

4. Goron

Goron Guest

when you returned, did you discover NEW thru a locked down book? Or other means?

I joined NEW when I first came to Siege. I like NEW, I liked NEW, and I think NEW is valuable and important. BUT, I did not join NEW because of a locked down book. I joined through active recruitment and my awareness was first achieved form ads on UOSS.

Just because NEW is great doesn't mean there should be locked down books advertising the guild. It is a player run guild- lets leave it that way.

5. If they help bring new players to the shard how are the books a bad thing?

6. Goron

Goron Guest

How does someone not on the shard read a book on the shard?
    The books don't help bring new players to the shard, they simply direct existing new players to a newbie guild.

7. Still wondering why helping new players is a bad thing...

8. Goron

Goron Guest

you don't understand. I have nothing against helping new players. I am pro NEW. I don't kill NEW, I donate to NEW.
    You are trying to twist the argument. NEW was never destroyed, or shut down, NEW still runs just like before. So nothing has changed. All thats different is there is no impartial EA bias towards NEW.
    It is a player guild run by players for players. Keep it that way.

9. The difference is that the people who run the events for NEW players just got crapped on.

If you or me gets crapped on it is no big deal. We don't do squat to help the population on Siege.

If people who really try get disrespected, then they may stop trying. I'd rather have them keep trying because I want new players.

Those books weren't hurting anyone. Now they are gone and people are mad. Maybe they shouldn't have been locked down in the first place but anyone who complained should get the hell off the shard IMHO.

10. Goron

Goron Guest

I didn't realize NEW was a self running guild that never took in donations. My bad. You are right, in that case I have never done anything to help NEW.

I also don't get how not receiving preferential treatment is being disrespected? I don't get preferential treatment, you don't either, does that mean you are getting disrespected?

You need to realize that NEW is a player run guild, for players by players. To involve EA changes that. It loses its sanctity. NEW is also by no means a purely neutral guild. How many of the NEW leadership are also 'high ranking' members of other guilds? Of those, how many are from LOW, KOC, TnT? How many are from a pk guild?

See my point?
    No... probably not. Your head is too far up your...

11. So, you are mad that people who graduate NEW don't join your guild? That is it eh?

So, for petty selfishness you are willing to throw these people who have worked so hard under the bus?

Were you around when Arden screwed over the Orcs? Do you remember what happened?

That is you dude. Get over it and grow up.

12. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I don't think there was a new when I started.

13. Nabber

Nabber Guest

How many new to seige players log on get PK'd or simply lose their newbie (and maybe only) set of tolls/weapons and log off seige in disgust never to return?

I learned of NeW from Magnum after he PK'd me while mining, the account I activated had next to nothing on Seige, He did however tell me about NeW and how to get ahold of them and that they would give me a place to belong for a little bit to get my feet under me.

They did and while I was in NeW I spent the time and effort to retreive my original UO account and here I am, the books are nothing more than info to new arrivals on Seige. It is no diffeent than fight nights on Sonoma and the OSI Arenas in the sands that were placed for our enjoyment.

Supporting the NeW guild is different than helping new arrivals from finding (and being able to make) Seige their home. I know lots of people that will try to help new arrivals find their place on seige, the books simply made the cracks a little smaller, less people falling through means more people to interact with. if you want less people I suggest loading up diablo and mindlessly gathering your godly suit of the whale solo while convincing yourself you are having a stupendously good time!

14. I was introduced to new within my first hour of play, just through being social.

everyone on siege knows about new, and many were in it.

unless you dont speak english, or another common siege language, or are antisocial, or just suck, there is no reason that you wont know about new within your first few days of play.

some people will make their character, run out and die, or kill things, and thats it, but this is an rpg, so if your playing as such, youll meet people, and youll learn about NEW

15. enigma eb2

enigma eb2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I was in NEW for a few days before I had to leave so I could persue a live of evil.

16. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

I did not join new. Kinda wanted to do it myself.

17. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

No, but then again, there was no NEW guild when I started.

18. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

I was recruited into a guild after 4 or 5 days of playing on my own. I did not join the NEW guild, but fully support their presence and endeavors.

19. Righty

Righty Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I guess I can't vote because I don't fit the 1 yr category. I did not however join NEW when I started Siege, although I am pro-NEW and think what they do is great. Newbs are fun for lots of reasons!

20. Five Moons

Five Moons Guest

Yes, I'm currently in NEW and started after attending the Introduction to Siege event. :)

21. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I remember you! Welcome!

22. I myself did not start in NEW but i think it is a great guild..

23. Five Moons

Five Moons Guest

I remember you too, Kelmo! Thanks for the welcome :)

24. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

It was the event five moons, not the books? I do not want to drag you into this mess. Don't answer.

To the rest of you... I expect an answer. It was the event. Have a damn book on you or answer or even a care.

25. Five Moons

Five Moons Guest

I'll answer anyway :)
    I've been curious about Siege for some time but would have never just come here on my own. So in my case, it was the event that got me here and into NEW, not the books.

26. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

All the bickering, butt hurt posts, and finger pointing... This is probably the most important post of the night.

27. Nabber

Nabber Guest

I think the point that the whole anti lockdown whiners are female dogging about is the fact that NEW does something that no other guild does, they facilitate a UO player making a go on SP on a regular and recurring basis. I remember when the Shadowclan Orcs got the orc fort given to them complete with lockdowns and removal of the NPC orcs.

To be honest what people should be doing is asking Shalimar and the other NeW leaders to lock down their own books in the NeW guildhouse, dropping by the new guildhouse and checking out the new arrivals, any guild that is actively recruiting needs look no further than the NeW guildhouse for an audience of people looking for a guild that they fit into.

It is not like NeW is ran for profit or fame, I would imagine it is more like a Job than going to work.

28. Elfstone

Elfstone Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I didn't join NEW for about a week and it was a great expierance.
    I'd highly recommend it for someone new to Siege like from Pacific .

29. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Yes, I joined NEW, but I only made very little use of the facilities, preferring to make my own way as much as I could. I knew of it before I came, from the boards. Though Dor told me to join when she knew I was coming.

I think, actually, most people learn of it from people they run into on the shard. I know I've advised many to join, and I know I've seen conversations where people were being advised to also. Most of us actively recruit for it any newbie we come across who's trying to find their way.

While the EM's suggestion has limited use, we could, ourselves, expand on it. Many of us have bulletin boards, many more of us could have. We could each put such a notice on them, possibly as the greeting, so it's first read. An agreed wording so they're all the same would be good, I think? We could continue to drop books too of course, we could even set up some kind of rota so that we ensured the moongates always had one, replacing as they decayed?

30. Elfstone

Elfstone Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I'd love to help with that if it makes it to the drawing board. :D

31. Bruin

Bruin Guest

I'm glad to see so many people so passionate about helping Siege. I do wish that some of the efforts were directed positively in helping instead of negatively causing all this bickering. I think the loss of the books is a terrible setback, but NEW and Siege will live on. Hopefully this will be some sort of event that will help bring our shard together stronger to help recruit people to make our population grow even better.

I know why what had to be done was done, but I disagree with it. I'm not going to complain but instead offer some constructive criticism of the choices made by the devs and offer my thoughts on what the books did and what we as a shard can do to make up for it.

Prior to the lock down of the books, Shalimar used to gate around when she could and place these books a popular spots, Britain Inn, Luna bank for example. All the EM did was lock these down so Shalimar wouldn't have to keep placing them which would also ensure 24/7 coverage instead of the books decaying. If enough of the Siege population took it upon themselves to instead copy and place these books at these locations, locking them down would be irrelevant. A copy of the book itself is locked down on the steps to the NEW guildhouse, feel free to copy it and place it anywhere you think new characters might visit.

There are lots of ways people hear about NEW, from word of mouth, from people noticing a new character and mentioning it to them, from these forums. I'm not here to debate which is the best method, simply to tell you the books worked. There were a lot of people who when I asked them if they had heard of NEW, they said yes, they read the books and were interested in joining. That in itself proves that they were a great help. Remember that most (if not all) character start in Britain, and roam around an empty town for sometime. Many times I've known new characters to start in Britain and never leave it for a few days, never meeting a soul since it is so empty. The books showed them where to seek us if no one was seeking them.

I know why the devs made a choice that locking down these books can be construed as favoritism. Well I'm here to say that they should take a MORE active role in doing such things. I don't know about you guys, but I think this was a much better game when the devs went around and rewarding/helping those guilds that had a positive impact in this game/world by blessing certain areas or creating certain taverns. Are you telling me this world would be better without things like Paxlair on Chessy or the Gathered Spirits or Paws Tavern on Pacific? Sure you could argue its favoritism, but to me it builds character, it builds a community, in the long run it helps people enjoy this game and increases or maintains active paying accounts. The devs took the easy way out, we’re not going to deal with the arguments of favoritism and instead end the practice altogether, which just goes to harm the game in general.

Look at what NEW does. It doesn’t try to keep and maintain members. It brings people in to play in this land, and eventually FORCES them into another guild. Look at the poll. 50% of all people who join Siege start in NEW. Can you tell me any other guild on any other shard that has such an impact? Yes, it’s player run. Yes, it’s not officially sanctioned by any UO authority. But answer yourself this question for me – does the guild NEW have strong positive impact on the people it helps and the shard in general? Does a guild like NEW help both keep the player base happy, active and result in more paid accounts for EA? If the answers to the questions are yes, why wouldn’t you want to help this guild in its mission? Yeah, I know, the easy thing to do is give in to all the people who would jump up and down and claim favoritism, but I’m going to be blunt. YOU know NEW helps Siege in a way virtually no other guild on any other shard even comes close to. Have the guts to stand up and fight for helping something you know deep down is the right thing to do, even when it might be a bit of a battle because of all naysayers claiming favoritism and giving up is the easy thing to do.

32. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

A practical question: How long does it take for the books to decay?

33. RichDC

RichDC Guest

I didnt join new, coming from the UK i play on a totaly different time than the majority of the shard. Hell for the first few weeks i didnt know NEW existed!

I honestly Dont see why people would moan about books being placed, at least people joining from a different timezone will know there is life on the shard, and who to talk to.

I would think leaving hte books locked down could only benefit the community (maybe thats why some people moan), casual players who have heard about siege and want to have a look would log on to find a book explaining what to do if new to siege. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Just my 2cents but i honestly think if there is an advert for a "haven" of siege more players will come and soon learn about it, this will create a larger community of players and in turn more fun. (then again maybe thats why people complain, they just want to ruin fun...idk)

34. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

No matter what you say, the books did bring more NEW members.
    I offen see new Siege players, who know nothing about NEW, not all read Stratics, some just see a new shard show up on the list when they lose their young status or read about the shard in UO playguide.

The books is just one more way to give the new Siege players a hand.

There will still be players who join because they have friends on Siege or because they read my or others postes on Stratics.

Everything that can help Siege get new blood is good for the shard as long the players we get fit the shard.

35. Wow Bruin, for a chap who's always got bare, stinky feet you are certainly an eloquent speaker, great book...err post. Seriously, thanks for every word of that.

36. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Think i read on another post 3days.

37. Lil Caesar

Lil Caesar Guest

I dont think i have posted much on the boards, but this issue seems to touch everyone. most people on siege have been thru NEW or have intereacted with NEW in some way. NEW is not just a player run guild its more then that. to say that it is on the same level as the rest of the guilds is kind of stupid since there are established rule that set NEW apart from the other guilds and it does more then further its own agenda. the big deal is that having the books locked down did not hurt anyone. instead it helped swell the ranks of NEW. wich a damn good thing. all the new people should go to NEW because there at least they can interact with each other and network properly and build friendships that are gona last a playing lifetime. instead of bieng spread out all over with other guilds that dont have the experience NEW does helping new players get established on siege. why complain and moan because someone elses guild is not getting preferential treatment. UO isisnt a democracy and nothing about Siege life has ever been fair. so why should this issue be fair. all new people should be directed to NEW thru whatever means possible. otherwise this shard is gona die more then it already has.
    and to go against such progress is anti productive. shame on all you who are against this for you truely do not see the big picture and i hope u have fun playing by your lonesomes..... and u may argue that youl never be alone but iv only been back a few months and already almost everyone iv seen is tired of playing with the same inbred group of players.
    by inbred group of players i mean all these different alliance of oppossing factions and oppossing spectrums because everyone is so bored of playing with the same people over and over.
    im just as guilty of it but wat else can u do when the population is so hurting...

38. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This. Someone who most likely would have benefited from those books.

A stupid move to take them away, and stupid to cry about them in the first place.

The folks that bemoaned these books are the types of folks who got the US Counselor program axed in the first place, then Seers, now EM's apparently.

Jackasses.

39. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well ****, I guess I should have read Bruin's post before I answered the poll. Take away one "yes" vote. I was in NEW, but over 4 years ago.

40. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

BTW, I voted no. NEW didn't exist when I first came to Siege (EVERYONE was new!) and while they existed when I came back, the only help from NEW I received was a full spellbook and a town/dungeon runebook set. So while I did benefit (thanks Freja!) I did not take advantage of the month's protection it had to offer.

41. Critical Gaming

Critical Gaming Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I joined NEW with John and Pappy Joe and ripped them off multiple times lol. Then joined VmP and they're who got me started

42. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I was in NEW a year ago. I came to Siege mainly out of curiosity as I heard people on my old shard talking bad about Siege. I thought I would check out the shard for myself. After being on Siege for about 3 days, another player told me about NEW. Then along came Shalimar and I signed up. Prior to being on Siege my UO experiance had been limited at best. After being in NEW, I not only learned of the ways of Siege but also gained a lot of knowledge about the game and how it works. Being in NEW was a wonderfull experiance for me and I will be forever greatfull to the kind folks who take the time to make the guild work.
    I found NEW to be completely neutral and I did not feel that any of the leaders were ever trying to direct me to a particular guild or group. I met many nice folks during my time in NEW. Had I not been in the NEW guild, chances are I would have just given up and went back to the trammie shard.

43. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I came 11 months ago and did not join NEW, felt weird to know I was an 11 year UO vet and wear NEW tag.

I do not kill NEW and donate to them, that being said...It seems to me that over the last few months NEW is just a stop over until you join TDO.

TDO has grown faster then any guild in my short time here. It is for that reason that I am happy the books are gone. Let NEW recruit like any other guild, EA has no business helping any one guild.

44. Goron

Goron Guest

I notice a lot of people trying tot wist truths in this thread.

First off, you have people accuse me of wanting NEW to die and claiming I do not support Shalimar and such... I find that utterly hilarious. Not once did I say a single negative thing about NEW.

People are also accusing me of not wanting new players to come to Siege... Also ridiculous...

People also seem to think I complained about the books int he first place... absolutely hilarious. I honestly didn't even know there were locked down NEW books until people started whining that they were gone.

You are all acting like NEW is going to go away because the books are no longer locked down. That's absolutely childish. NEW made it so far without locked down books, its not going anywhere without them. (how long were there even locked down books in the first place?)

I find it amusing that so far not one single person says they joined NEW because of a locked down book. So the very limited data we have available indicates that the books were pointless in the first place.

45. AriochJD

AriochJD Guest

If a fisherman finds a well stocked spot, should he leave it? Or cast his line and see what he pulls out?

Yours is an interesting point of view, albeit way off base. Yes, TDO has close ties with NEW. Yes, we have recruited from NEW. But the simple fact is, ANYONE can. Many of our members stop by the NEW house regularly to check on the players and offer assistance where we can. We talk to the players, get a feel for their particular playstyle, and inform them about our guild. We are just as likely to point them toward a different guild as we are to recruit them to ours. But our recruitment efforts do not end there.

Many of us, myself included, do more recruiting than fighting, to be honest. I've killed folks, rezzed them, then actively recruited them to TDO. Trespassing through Safe Haven? A player is just as likely to be attacked as they are to be informed of our guild and our ways.

If the books helped TDO ranks swell, it is because we make ourselves available to those who show interest. NEW does not funnel their players into TDO. TDO openly recruits players from NEW. There is a big difference.

I personally understand the removal of the books, but reserve the right to firmly disagree with it.

46. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Well stated, and I believe that any of the larger guilds do what TDO is doing. If smaller guilds did the same thing in their recruiting efforts, maybe they wouldn't be as small.

47. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

No- did not know New existed. Perhaps maybe yes, had this one known.
    He had heard so much concerning death on siege, that he made small house over north of vesper, and trained hiding, stealth, fencing, ninja, lockpicking/detect/remove trap on gypsy camps and town crates. Moved into bank when skills were high enough.
    Vesper is very good place to teach new character skills. Byt the time he was ready, he had amassed enough gold from dungeon and bank crates to purchase scrolls and gear.

48. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

49. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Poor analogy, EA isn't stocking the pond.

Have to agree with Kelmo on this one, if everyone who is in-fighting about this put that energy towards recruiting for Siege, we'd have more people here. And no, the books didn't recruit for Siege, albeit they *may* have/will help in retaining new players.

Was locking down the books showing favoritism to one guild? Yes, absolutely.

Did the favoritism adversely affect other guilds? No, definitely not.

So while I can understand the reasoning behind removing the lockdowns, I find it disheartening that people think that NEW was reaping ph4t l3wtz from them and thus are happy they are gone.

NEW is basically a Siege institution at this point and does a good job of remaining neutral in shard politics. Do they get pulled in on rare occassion? Yes, but the leaders and members are human, not robots.

Sure, there are other guilds for 'newBs' but these other guilds [past & present] do not have the support or the renown that NEW does. Simple fact of the matter is that the lockdowns were promoting a guild that limits it's membership to a timeline. If you can't see the difference between your guild and NEW, then you most likely need to take a step back and really examine the situation.

blah blah blah, no-one's changing anyone's mind at this point. Just had to have my say.

50. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

I was a solo player before I came to Siege, and for the most part, have always played solo while here. I was more interested in getting my skills worked up than to be worried about being in a guild...la

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.