1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Current Subscribers?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by RedDeer1969, Jul 21, 2010.

1. RedDeer1969

RedDeer1969 Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Would anyone know how many current subscribers their are of ultima online? Ive been curious for a while and before I pay for six months of uo (im cheap), I would like some assurance as to the activity of the game still.

Also is their any chance of uo closing due to lack of numbers ? :sad2:

2. Yen Sid

Yen Sid Guest

As far as numbers go, estimates are anywhere from 70k-120k, of course this number is slightly skewed due to the fact that many people I know have 5 accounts, 10 accounts, ect.; personally I feel the numbers are less, there is no danger of UO closing due to numbers though.

They just upgraded everything so I don't think they will say ok now that we have done all the upgrades we are closing.

If your looking for a lot of people to play with, play Atlantic.

3. Evlar

Evlar Guest

Depending where you're based, if you're looking at player numbers, your best bets would be Atlantic in North America, Europa in (wait for it...) Europe, or one of the Japanese shards, if you feel like a little linguistic fun.

4. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

As Evlar suggests, Atlantic or Europa would be a good choice for you depending on where you live and I'm confident you'll not regret it!

UO has many more years in it.

5. Fink

Fink Guest

Not sure how accurate this is, but..

[​IMG]

UO's either not updating or it's leveled out recently. If it's really about 100K and it peaked at 250K, I don't know if that's as bad as it's made out to be. Even UO:R and AoS don't seem to have had the horrid impact they're always attributed, and 40% of peak numbers isn't bad after 13 years.

Perhaps the perception is as much a question of expanding shards/landmass than declining numbers. Also, many vets would have multiple accounts by now, bolstering subscription count, which means a fair amount of money going in but fewer individual players.

6. Babble

Babble Guest

Probably not before their new mmo to avoid bad press. They even did not close down Warhammer and that game really lost lots of people.

7. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

This was dealt with in a thread a few short weeks ago.

UO doesn't release subscription numbers anymore. Haven't for years.

I have no idea the accuracy of the site Fink used for his chart. That site's been around a long time. There were times when EA's been silent on its numbers, there were times when EA's said its numbers aren't accurate.

The site used to use press releases and annual reports and the like. Industry standards changed, and now most games don't release numbers.

Some time ago, someone from Mythic said, in a discussion of the then-upcoming Warhammer Online, that UO had 100k and was "wildly profitable." The problem was that no one here believed that number, even though we had no specific reason to disbelieve it. In fact I got called "desperate" for linking to it, even though it was the closest thing we had to an "official" statement of subscription numbers.

I have long-since deleted the link, because no one believed it even when it was a current number. Now, if I posted it, people could just say "it's out of date."

EA is not a rational company. They have long-since proven that. They could shut down UO at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all.

-Galen's player

8. RedDeer1969

RedDeer1969 Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Thank you all for the quick posts which were very helpfull. I'm now intrigued in the Atlantic shard lol. Too bad all my stuff ive worked for is on Great Lakes the only shard ive been going to since renaissance hrmmm...

Any who thank you all again. :gee:

9. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Great Lakes is quite active.

-Galen's player

10. If you go by stratics, there are three: Me, Myself, and I. :pint:

11. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

What might help you decide is downloading the EC client, On the shard list it tells you which shards have low/medium or high population.