1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Current templates?

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by SecretWeapon, Jan 2, 2010.

1. SecretWeapon

SecretWeapon Guest

Hi, as I saw the sticky thread about templates, the last response was about a year ago and since I am just returning I was wondering about templates.

Obviously there will be no answer to what is the best template as that question is pretty suggestive. However, there are more popular templates out there that work better in different situations.

I was wondering a good template for a warrior, if I were to want to solo tougher mobs if archery was the best way to go or a more melee way. And as far as pvp goes I have my mage but after mage/eval/resist/med I am not sure which direction to go. Any input anybody has would be appreciated as I am just looking for a little insight.

Thanks!

2. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Paladin archers are pretty good. Paladin with any kind a melee skill is not too bad either. Bushido warriors are nice too. They need 2 handed weapons to parry though.

Chivalry (Enemy of One) + Slayer weapons = Can take alot of monsters down.

3. Silverbird

Silverbird Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You might want to have a closer look at the specific forums ....

I suppose some of the stronger pvm-templates are ...
    - bushido-archer (often referred as abc like Archery-Bushido-Chiv)
    - wampires/sampires in its different versions (with the right eq those can solo most parts of the game)
    - necro-mages (especially for working up/on champion spawns)
    - discord-tamer (even if that one doesnt match your criterias, I dont want to leave him out of this list)

If you can bring up a team of an abc-archer, a necro-mage and a disco-tamer, your team shurely can challenge most if not everything (pvm-wiese) that is currently ingame.

4. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

I recommend the following PvM templates for returning players, depending on their respective play styles.

Melee - Sampire
    120 Swords
    120 Parry
    120 Bush
    100 Tactics
    100 Anat
    99 Necro
    60 Chiv

Archer - ABC Archer
    120 Archery
    120 Bushido
    115 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    100 Healing
    90 Resist
    75 Chivalry

Mage - Necro/Mage/Weaver
    120 Mage
    120 Meditation
    120 Eval
    120 Necro
    120 Spirit Speak
    120 Weaving

Tamer - Mage/Weaver/Tamer
    110 Taming
    115 Lore
    110 Vet
    110 Mage
    105 Weaving
    100+ Eval
    100 Meditation

5. SecretWeapon

SecretWeapon Guest

Thanks for the input! Sorry if I didn't look more extensively.

Was just wondering about the 'sampire' how do they mainly heal and how many of the necro spells they put to use usually.

Also still looking for a couple more skills to add to my pvp mage, I'll take a look further on the forums as well, thanks!

6. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

BTW, for the PvM side of things, the minor slayers (dragon, instead of reptile, for example) now do Triple Damage, instead of double (which the more general "super" slayers still do).

This has made some weapons that were once overlooked, downright devastating in PvM. For example, the "Dragon's End" 10th Anniversary artifact sword that drops in the classic dungeons. Dragon Slayer, 60% DI, 100% cold, longsword. With it, one doesn't need Chiv at all to fight dragons (except to get in an occasional Divine Fury to refill stamina, if needed). Once I get my imbuer up to higher levels, gonna monkey with spares of it to change the slayer type, and add other attributes (like maybe SSI or a leech), since elemental damage isn't counted as a property anymore.

7. Taylor

Sampire Tips

The "Sampire" is only concerned with one necro spell: vampiric embrace (a.k.a. "vamp form"). By casting vamp form, you leech back the damage you deal. This is the only method of healing you need, though pots or aids could also be used in a crunch. Aside from vamp form, a sampire is played just like any other melee character. This is typically how you would fight:

1) Cast "enemy of one" and "consecrate weapon"
    2) Honor your enemy
    3) Attack your enemy, casting the bushido spell "lightning strike" each time you hit.
    4) Recast "consecrate weapon" and possibly "divine fury" as needed.

By honoring your target, your skill in bushido allows you to gain in "perfection." Each time you successfully hit an honored target, your damage is increased coequally with your perfection. Once you attain perfection (after several successful hits), your damage will be increased 100%. The "lightning strike" spell helps you gain perfection more quickly, as it increases your hit chance. "Lightning strike" also grants you a chance to deal a "critical hit," which does extra damage. The amount of damage a sampire deals via perfection and critical hits will keep your sampire alive, thanks to vamp form.

By the way, vamp form only needs to be cast once. Your character will remain in vamp form until you either a) recast it or b) die. Carry an insured piece of arcane clothing with you. When you die, you can recast vamp form by using an arcane charge.

Mage Tips

For a PvP mage, use the necro/mage/weaver template from above but replace spellweaving with resisting spells. With a mage weapon, you're golden.

8. SecretWeapon

SecretWeapon Guest

Thanks for reminding me about honoring, totally forgot about doing that.

I have seen people running around with mage weapons, new to me, are they solely used for interrupting casts?

9. Taylor

Not only for interrupting, but also for parrying chance. With max defense chance increase (dci) and a mage weapon, you get hit less often (this is true for PvM and PvP). Max dci is 45, but many PvP mages use 70 dci to counter the affects of hit lower defense.

10. SecretWeapon

SecretWeapon Guest

Ah I see! Does that mean parry would be a good choice for a skill or do more mages run with bushido?

11. Taylor

Nah, aim for the template above. If you add parry to a mage, you'll need to devote 80 points to dexterity. Here's how your PvP mage might look:

120 Mage
    120 Med
    120 Eval
    120 Spirit Speak
    120 Necro (105 is also OK, if you don't have a 720 skill cap)
    120 Resisting spells

Arties: folded steel reading glasses, armor of fortune, inquisitor's resolution, crystalline ring, ornament of the magician, totem of the void, crimson cincture, conjurer's garb (or cloak of death)

Runic: neck, arms, legs

Weapon: -25 (or less) mage weapon, spell channeling, no casting penalty, hit fire ball (can be imbued pretty easily)

Minimum suit mods: 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 2/6 fc/fcr, 45 dci (or higher), 6+ mr.

Having a mage weapon and max dci will supply your defense. Having a free hand will allow you to chug pots. Otherwise, play like a normal necro/mage. :)