1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

"Cut Cloth" and "Yard of Cloth" are the exact same one thing ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Oct 17, 2010.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Out of curiosity, are "Cut Cloth" and "Yard of Cloth" the exact same one thing ?

Or they are 2 different things ? In this case, how does one make Yard of Cloth ?

The cut cloth comes from cutting up a bolt of cloth. And the yard of cloth ?

2. Lady Mal

Lady Mal Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

If you need it to repair the boat ( the guy gives a general number of yards of cloth) they will take cut cloth as yards.

If you buy from a vendor, seems to be same way, the folded cloth to the cut is 1 to 1.

edit - might be wrong about it, actually. /sigh. Anyone know for sure?

3. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

If you use scissors on a yard of cloth, you should get cut cloth.

Go get yourself a yard of cloth and give it a try.

4. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Actually, I get "cut cloth" using scissors on a "bolt of cloth"......

By the way, the Tailor NPC only carries (I checked several of them)

- Bolt of Cloth
    - Cut Cloth
    - Cloth

They carry nothing listed as "yard of cloth".

So, I wonder, is the yard of cloth the same exact thing as the cut cloth ??

If so, why did they call it yard of cloth when noone carries it and it ain't even craftable with this name ?

Using cotton on a Spinning Wheel gives spool of thread which, used on a loom, gives a bolt of cloth. Cutting up the bolt of cloth gives cut cloth and cutting up cut cloth gives bandages.

Nowhere in the process one gets "yard of cloth" nor is it available on tailors' Menu for purchasing.

5. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

A "yard" of cloth is a measurement, so to speak. It's the same thing as "cut" cloth, practically speaking.
    I think they were originally going to have a more detailed system, so that's why you have "cut cloth", "cloth", and "folded cloth". While having "yards of cloth", "combine cloth", and "cut up cloth". A lot of this seems redundant without a more detailed system in place (which probably never made it in the game even in beta).

And don't forget that if you use those scissors on "cut up cloth" or "folded cloth" or plain "cloth", you get bandages.

6. The "correct" term is fabric, not cloth, even though the two are used interchangeably. Cloth is the finished form of the fabric. So, when it is measured and cut, it's called fabric, and the material of the finished piece (such as a sail or quilt) may be called cloth. You buy bolts and folds of fabric, not cloth.

I wouldn't know this except for the more than 3,000 bolts of fabric sitting in my store. The little old ladies made fun of me whenever I called it "cloth," and told me that, "you sell fabric, and are not a man of the cloth."