1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Daylight Savings.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by RuthieJ, Mar 11, 2008.

1. RuthieJ

RuthieJ Guest

Ok i live in a state that recently went into the time change known as "daylight savings".I play on the shard Chessy and its going down like daylights saving never happened. I know it was a leap year and all , but i thought UO changed with the times, hehhe no pun intended there. So if anyone knows give me a heads up. Ty.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

hmm ... I suppose it's not impossible that the servers never received the DST patch for the change last year, but that would imply some unpleasant things.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Interesting. I'm a Chessy resident, myself.

I've not been logging on recently around Server Up, so I was unaware that this was happening.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

hmm ... I suppose it's not impossible that the servers never received the DST patch for the change last year, but that would imply some unpleasant things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps they did not bother developing a patch for TRS-80s.

Also it is "daylight Saving" time, it is not plural, very common error.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Why do we even have Daylight Saving Time, anyway?

I've always just thought it was annoying...except when we *gain* an hour, hehe.

6. Your correct..it is very annoying and dumb imo.

AZ doesn't change their clocks at all. [​IMG] *starts packing*

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Heh...they've been " looking at it " presumably for the last year. Yep, still there maybe? [​IMG]

-Skylark

8. Cygnas

Cygnas Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Daylight Saving Time was proposed by Ben Franklin (which he probably got from someone else... most of his ideas were purloined). The purpose was to save the cost of candles used at night by giving an extra hour of daylight in the evening. The idea was adopted some two centuries later to save energy by not having to light up all the office hours at night.

However, there is no evidence of any energy savings at all. Many office buildings have automatic lighting that turns on/off regardless of the time. And any energy savings that may occur is more than offset by people who have an extra hour of light at night to go shopping, and put gas in their cars to go to the mall. Studies in New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the USA support this.

There is a huge benefit to retailers however. People need something to do in the evening with the extra hour of light and tend to go shopping. The change in the date that DST starts was all about shopping. Each hour of daylight after 5 o'clock during Halloween represents $1 billion or more in candy sales... that's right, $1 billion. Extra hours of daylight during the summer increases tourist sales for all the tourist destinations, and that pumps a lot of dollars into the economy.

9. <blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Daylight Saving Time was proposed by Ben Franklin (which he probably got from someone else... most of his ideas were purloined). The purpose was to save the cost of candles used at night by giving an extra hour of daylight in the evening. The idea was adopted some two centuries later to save energy by not having to light up all the office hours at night.

However, there is no evidence of any energy savings at all. Many office buildings have automatic lighting that turns on/off regardless of the time. And any energy savings that may occur is more than offset by people who have an extra hour of light at night to go shopping, and put gas in their cars to go to the mall. Studies in New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the USA support this.

There is a huge benefit to retailers however. People need something to do in the evening with the extra hour of light and tend to go shopping. The change in the date that DST starts was all about shopping. Each hour of daylight after 5 o'clock during Halloween represents $1 billion or more in candy sales... that's right, $1 billion. Extra hours of daylight during the summer increases tourist sales for all the tourist destinations, and that pumps a lot of dollars into the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

why you gotta be hateing on ben? Didnt you see national treasure ? he must be a nice guy

10. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Ok i live in a state that recently went into the time change known as "daylight savings".I play on the shard Chessy and its going down like daylights saving never happened. I know it was a leap year and all , but i thought UO changed with the times, hehhe no pun intended there. So if anyone knows give me a heads up. Ty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play Baja from Japan and we do not change time either. Baja's downtime did move to an hour earlier so i'm going to say DST is running fine on the UO servers.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Also it is "daylight Saving" time, it is not plural, very common error.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I keep getting that one backwards for some reason.

12. nineninefour

nineninefour Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Daylight Saving Time was proposed by Ben Franklin (which he probably got from someone else... most of his ideas were purloined).

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, to the person that asked this, just google it!

And if we must answer:

Franklin's first recorded proposal of this was actually an anonymously published letter lightheartedly discussing the notion that everyone should wake up earlier in the morning. It was a satire rooted in an actual firm belief of his, pointing out some funny, if not more imaginative than anything, advantages of doing so; economy of candles was among them. The entertaining "proposal" also included such provisions as taxing window treatments and even widespread municipal waking rituals like firing ammunition and sounding service bells at dawn. The letter was well received and proved to be the entertaining read it was meant to be, nothing more.

The first serious consideration for daylight saving time came from a man named William Willet more than 100 years later, early in the 20th century. He proposed it for far simpler reasons than a lot of people are lead to believe, and they were actually pretty concurrent with Franklin's adage "Early to bed, Early to rise..." He thought people who slept in past dawn missed out on the best part of the day, and didn't get to enjoy as much sunlight for their outdoor activities.

It's true that in many jurisdictions, studies have been conducted as to whether or not DST lowers energy consumption. Results show that it doesn't, save for a few marginal exceptions what fall well inside a reasonable margin of error. The studies were conducted due to Franklin's original assertion (even though it had nothing to do with DST as we know it) that waking up earlier in the morning would reduce lighting costs. The studies and how seriously their results were subsequently taken seems like a waste of time and money because 1) Franklin wasn't talking about DST, and 2) Franklin was wholly kidding around.

End lesson.

---

Franklin's ideas were mostly stolen, huh? I hope you're ready to back that up with some concrete examples, because I'll challenge you on that.

13. Greatfellow

Greatfellow Guest

Just love how someone throws out the comment, as a sideline, that Benjamin Franklin stole most of his ideas *pfft*. I mean, that would be a topic unto its own; part of the discussion would entail defining what "purloined" or "stolen" really means, vs. "inspired" vs. "baloney, that idea was his alone" vs. "how many ideas in history were independently conceived by many people yet brought to fruition by an individual" vs... well. Part of the topic would be, "What are your sources?" and arguments over the sources' credibilities.
    Whatever.

I also love how people will buy the first googled explanation they find on a topic. For my money, here's the good info on Daylight Saving time, less sensationalist and more trying to be accurate than a variety of others:
    http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/index.html
    http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/e.html

14. nineninefour

nineninefour Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I also love how people will buy the first googled explanation they find on a topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lmao, you realize your links are the first returns in google, right?
    Anyway, thanks for citing sources for my breakdown of DST; I didn't want to be bothered with it.

15. Tsk! Day Light Saving ...
    Just another way for the Government Man ...
    to keep the little people dazed and confused

I Ought to be getting a rebate on my "savings" during my twilight years ... yes? dam right! ... I Should BE ... AM I?

NO !!!

Are the kiddies becoming any "brighter?" Should BE ... Are They?

NO !!!

"Less" sunlight during the summer ... things GLOBALLY should be cooling down ... Should BE ... Are they?

NO !!!

should be more daylight during the winter ... Should BE ... IS there?

NO !!! different number names ... but not one second more OF "daylight" (the orbit of the earth around the sun has NOT changed)

[​IMG]
    don't even get me started on trying to sync the net standard time with my old windup clocks
    [​IMG]

16. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

<blockquote><hr>

AZ doesn't change their clocks at all. *starts packing*

[/ QUOTE ]
    Come on out Fran the deserts great!!

But seriously, it affects us more than people think. During spring through fall we're PST the fall through spring we're MST, Gets confusing when everyone shifts an hour and we don't. TV schedules and shard schedules are a pain to get used too, and by the time we do, we've changed time zones again. *Shrugs* What do you do? [​IMG]