1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Defensive weapon and shield (or just weapon)

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lord Chaos, May 28, 2010.

1. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

Whats the best defensive weapon in the game, when talking about a char with no combat skills, no parry and 90 magery, resists 5x70?

2. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

The Warrior forum is probably better suited to post this question.

You will want a Mage Weapon, since you have no fighting skills. The best crafted Mage Weapon will lower your magery by 20. Some Mage Weapon artifacts lower it by less.

I guess you will want to still cast spells, without disarming (else a weapon would be pointless), so it will need to be Spell Channelling -1 FC.

If you don't want to drop your FC by 1, then it will need FC 1 (to counteract the -1FC inherent with Spell Channelling).

Since you want it for defence, then DCI would be a good thing to have.

For additional assistance from getting hit, Hit Lower Attack would be good too.

If you still want to use a shield, then it will need to be one-handed.

Stayin Alive,

BG

3. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

Since there's no way to sort search all artifacts in UO (and possibly event items), can anyone give any specific suggestions to specific defensive setup for both hands?

4. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

Ohh, and I'm going to guess your DEX is pathetically low. If so, you will want one with a low base swing delay.

You can find that information off the UO Stratics Main Page, here:
    http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/arms.php

Stayin Alive,

BG

5. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

You can make the Weapon I listed with a runic hammer.

-20 MW
    SCNP
    15% DCI
    50% HLA

I don't think there is enough room to imbue something like this.

Stayin Alive,

BG

6. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

SCNP?

Why would I want to swing the weapon?

The arms page doesn't help as it doesn't show artifacts or evaluate their combos.

7. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

Make a one handed weapon as close to the one I listed above and use either the Arcane Shied, Shield of Invulnerability, or your favorite crafted shield (with SCNP and DCI).

Stayin Alive,

BG

8. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

Spell Channeling (SC) is used to so the weapon (or shield) does not disarm, when you cast a spell. You have to be holding the weapon for it to help your defence in any way. SC always has a -1 to Faster Casting (FC). If the weapon (or shield) has SC and FC, then the result is an item with Spell Channelling No Penalty (SCNP).

Hitting your opponent helps disrupt their attacks.

If by combos you mean special moves, you will not be able to perform any of them since you do not have tactics.

Stayin Alive,

BG

9. For a two-handed weapon, it's hard to beat the Swords of Prosperity, which is a zero penalty mage weapon.

10. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

90 magery with a mage weapon ? you need 140 magery (jewels, whatever) in order to not suffer from a mage weapon. with 90 magery ... after equipping the mw, your magery will be 70 assuming you are using a -20mw only.

work your magery to 120 before you start thinking about a mw imho.
    even with swords of prosperity , his swordsmanship will be 90, same as magery ability.
    once you get that sorted out you can use a mw in one hand and a +15dci shield in the other hand(+30dci total if mw has +15dci as well). a common shield to get is the arcane shield since it has sc and +1 fc for those mw's that have -1 in them. this is solely for pvm as 90 swordsmanship in pvp will do nothing for you.

11. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Like someone said the SoP is the best option for your char. What happened to your post(spam) count?

12. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

exceptional weapon
    DI 25
    mage weapon -20
    spell channeling
    Faster cast 1
    dci 15

non exceptional weapon
    mage weapon -20
    spell channel
    dci 15
    hla 50
    hit spell 11 or some other 30 weight option

all depends on your template
    do you use protection?

13. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

You can craft a Machete of Defense. It gets a bonus 5% DCI on top of the runic property. It is possible to craft one with 20% DCI total.

Stayin Alive,

BG

14. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

Forgot about the machete, but either way go with the fastest weapon you can!

15. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

Yes, I use protection spell, so thats FC -2.

No, anyway, around 90 magery is the highest I can get to, as base magery is onl 60, not room for it with 3 GM skills and 3 Legendary skills.

I have SOPs already, used them for luck, but was thinking that there has got to be a better defensive weapon or weapon/shield combo to avoid getting hit so much. (So I guess DCI is the most important).

As I won't be hitting anything, then various hit effects won't be so good.

What about that replica shield that gives 20 DCI?

16. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

With Off Topic gone, that took away most of my post count too. So I guess you guys are more spammers than me now, LOL.

17. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

that would be good and fc wont go below 0 unless you are using something like stone form, so fc is not needed on the weapon or a shield for that matter ! so you could add in whatever else you need maybe resist etc

at least I have never been able to get mine to show -fc without using something like stone form

18. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I'd buy a collection of dull copper hammers and burn out twinks untill you get one to hit for the max DCI and then imbue for the SC(NP if you needed but I think protection locks you a -2FC).

This all said I think the only option you have is remaking your suit for higher DCI as a non mage wep is going to do no good if your not useing a staff or the SoP's as a normal SC weap is related to weapon skills of which you have none.

Good luck.

19. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Don't forget about the Twinkling Scimitar. That has a bonus 6% DCI and can hit 21% DCI. It is one handed when allows you to use potions. You can negate the effects of the loss in magery skill via two slots (either ring and brace or using the Alchemy Library Talisman and one jewel).

I personally think the best defensive weapon for a mage is:

Twinkling Scimitar
    Spell Channeling
    -20 Mage Weapon
    21 DCI
    DI
    FC 0 (hidden)

That is a five property weapon. The FC 0 is invisible because it negates the -1 FC from the Spell Channeling. The only thing you can't imbue is the 21 DCI. So the best way to make this with a smith and an artificer is to craft Twinkling Scimitars using a dull copper runic hammer until you get one with 20 or 21 DCI. Then you POF it to 255/255 and then imbue the mage weapon, and FC. You will have to watch intensities (lower DI if required) and also collect the special SA ingredients for SC, MW, and FC properties.

-OBSIDIAN-

20. Sir Rukkus

Sir Rukkus Guest

you might consider an imbued magic wand with either greater heal or lightning, with the properties mentioned above.

21. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

Here is your issue that everyone is missing. One person said it and the rest of you totally missed it. At 90 magery you are kinda dinked. I'm guessing you are a PvMer, so putting a MW in your hand would put you at the best 70 magery, thats with the crys ring. you say you have 60 base magery, so you would be at 70. Using the staff or swords of pros would help, it would keep you at 90 magery. Although as most people will tell you, @ 90 weapon skill you get hit alot.

So what I am saying here is you can have all the DCI you want in this world, your initial DCI is calculated off you and your opp weapon skill. so if you are fighting say a GD with 120 wrestling, you have 90 (in magery and a MW) thats a large difference, and you will get hit ALOT. IMHO rework the char to have at least 110 magery to make yourself survivable, cause you can have 100% dci, and your still gonna get hit.....

PS, before anyone says anything, I do realize that 45 is cap.

22. Had a related question (the OP asked about weapon & shield).

Is parry worth a damn for a mage if you don't also have weapon skill? I understand how the calculations work with MW, comparing the two combat skills, etc. But how about if you have zero weapon skill (no MW) but instead go with 100 or 120 parry with a shield? Would that be effective?

Thanks.

23. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

No weapon skill and not useing a mage weapon? I think you'd be dead, quickly. While I am not 100% sure I believe the check is weapon first and parry second, thus you would be hit before the parry is checked I believe. You could go to test and confirm but I think it would be wastefull.

This all said you can make a balanced -20 SC FC1 25 DCI bow....I tried it and seemed to get hit a fair amount but never tested it for a extended period. Useless for the OP but nifty thought since it goes beyond the the 21 DCI for the twink but below the 30 for the shield combo but chuggable all the way. Amazing is you don't need the essence but amber if I remember correctly.

24. roninaxx

roninaxx Journeyman

I really wouldn't call it defensive but I use an imbued plane sword
    mage -20
    hit lightning 50%
    spell channel no neg
    defense 15%
    50 physical
    50 energy
    3.5 speed

25. WarUltima

WarUltima Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Some like the OP wants something like

One handed
    Spell Channelling
    Fast Cast +1
    Mage Weapon + 30
    Defense Chance Increase 70

Does not exist.

26. That bow idea is definitely interesting. How come people don't go with this instead of one handed melee mage weapons? What's the drawback of using a balanced bow when compared with one-handed weapon?

27. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

You are correct, the single most important thing to not get hit is haveng a high weapon skill (real or Magery + Mage Weapon).

Since you understand the calculations of Weapon Skill vs Opponents Skill, then this will be easier to explain (I will use GM vs GM skills for ease of comparrison).
    If you and your opponent both have GM Weapon skills (or equivalent):
    You will get hit 50% of your opponent's swings.
    Your opponent will get hit by 50% of your swings.

If you have GM Parry vs the Opponents GM Weapon Skill:
    You will get hit by 70% of your opponent's swings.
    You will parry 30% of your opponent's swings (Assuming you have at least 80 DEX).
    Your opponent will get hit by 2% (the minimum allowed) of your swings.

Take it one step further, If you have GM Parry and you and your opponent both have GM Weapon skills (or equivalent):
    You will get hit by 35% of your opponent's swings (you parried 30% of the swings he would have landed in the first scenario).
    Your opponent will get hit by 50% of your swings.

It becomes clear that your weapon skill is the most important part of the equation. HCI and DCI will build on these numbers, but you will hard pressed to overcome a lack of weapon skill (or equivalent) with just these item properties.

Stayin Alive,

BG

28. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed

I think its just over looked and the first thought in chugging is one handed weapon.

29. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

Well, as said, there's no way to further increase magery, 90 is the max with jewelry.

30. Splup

Splup Guest

Swords of prosperty, staff of the magi or staff of pyros. If you wanna chug you will have to deal with that -20 magery.

Or then have 120 eval and human 20 anatomy which takes you to (120+20+20)/2=80 defensive skill.

And if you use Protection it aint -2FC, protection just takes you to 0 FC no matter how much FC you got. If you have 0 FC, Protection will keep you 0 FC. If you have 2 FC protection will take you to 0 FC. If you have 4 FC, protection will take you to 0 FC.

So if you char is build on protection having any FC on your suit is just waste of mods.