1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Demand for blacksmithing

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Ersahi, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Ersahi

Ersahi Visitor

So I've been playing with mining and blacksmithing, but I was wondering if there was much demand for it. I haven't seen regular weapons and armor up on vendors, it's almost always imbued or other magic gear. Before I go down this path too far I want to make sure that this is an actual play style that will give me something to do when I get good at it.

2. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

I think doing BODs is a necessity if you wanna make a living as a smith these days.
    PoFs will always sell. Runic hammers, some more than others, are needed for reforging.

Add in imbuing and mysticism and you can hunt ingredients and take imbuing orders from the public.
    Perhaps something like:

Blacksmith 120
    Arms Lore 100
    Mining 100
    Imbuing 120
    Mysticism 120
    Magery 110
    Rest in meditation.

That should keep you busy if it´s a playstyle you´d enjoy.

3. Donal Mor

Donal Mor Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend LDH

Why mysticism? As opposed to magic resist or something else?

4. Elinnel

Elinnel Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

ppl will buy POF POF POF all the time
    one mining gloves per week
    2-3 runic hammers per month
    Crafted weapons and armor are almost of zero demand

5. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor

For casting Rising Colussus. Great tank when hunting.
    And the imbuing helps Myst like Eval helps Magery.

6. Ersahi

Ersahi Visitor

You guys use so many acronyms that it's hard to follow the conversation. What is a POF?

Also, why 110 magery? That seems like a very specific number, just want to know why.

#6 Ersahi, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  7. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor

8. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

that's fairly close to what i keep on Vic, and I have no issues collecting ingredients with him. although i do swap out inscription for the arms lore to help with spell damage on magery.

9. Ersahi

Ersahi Visitor

That's some good information, and I'll have to think about what I want to do. I was kind of hoping that I could be mostly a smith, but it doesn't look like that's an option. Right now I've trained mining, blacksmith, arms lore, and tinkering, but that's a road that isn't very combat oriented. I would be ok with that, but it looks like that's a dead end for the most part. I'll have to decide if I want to go the mage route or if I should reconsider my options. Thanks everyone.

10. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable

magery is always good from hunting materials with vortexes to simply gating yourself around . youll fizzle vortexes frequently at gm however the 10 scroll is common and fairly cheap and will do most nicely.

secondly, soul stones are your friend on siege . with only one guy we've learned to use them alot more than on production shards. that way you can have all your crafting skills and then swap out to skills you want to go hunt with. given crafting really doesnt rely on any specific dexterity or intelligence you can set those to whatever you would hunt with. it help to have high strength to carry all the materials , but what good template doesnt use str ?

unclesham has all the crafting skills now . it took some time (one soulstone at a time) but i just keep them in storage and run his hunting skills most of the time.

for now id say keep building your tinker if thats what you really want and run straight magery . vortexes dont need meditation or eval to kill . maybe let med go up on its own . (i wouldnt waste time building it) the extra mana will help for now and later when you need the points you can turn it down . hopefully by then you can afford a few lower mana cost and mana regen items to compensate.

mysticism's rising colossus does do much better than vortex but the 20 scroll for that is pretymuch necessary and insanely high priced . (save that idea for later maybe)

you CAN go the rout of never killing anything and just be a pure crafter . but thats going to require buying your materials from other players . youll need funds for that . in that case id reccomend doing alot of bods and selling the rewards .
    if you want to go that rout go tailoring as well . most people here prefer leather suits because you can meditate in them and have almost as good resists . also collect every gem you find and when you can, start working up imbuing . even low level imbuing can fill in those missing resists and make a very nice suit form just leather .

but in iether case id recommend at least 50 magery so you can gate and res off of scrolls . you can also supplement that by imbuing magery on some jewelry (13 in any skill can be imbued using basic gems)

also go collect wool and cotton . you can use any town npc tailor shop for wheel and loom . since npcs dont sell cloth , players buy it up prety quickly (generally 250 to 350 a bolt) its a fairly easy way to make some starting gold . some players may pay even more for cloth if you can find them at the right time . however if you cant . i have a commodity broker at the south bank entrance of new magincia who will buy them any time. =)

PS to raise magery i sell cheap LRC suits for 17k at the mokoto gate . go north from the gate and youll see just over the wall a line of vendors . look for "Borgs Vendor" all in black . you can shop from the safety of the guard zone over the wall by simply clicking on the vendor. also if you cant afford the 17k, find me in game and ill make you one of free.
    welcome to siege . dont give up . its worth it.

#10 UncleSham, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Barania likes this.
  11. Ersahi

Ersahi Visitor

I don't think I'll get soulstones anytime soon though. I thought they were rewards for time or anniversaries, and I'm not close to any of those. Unless I missed something.

12. Donal Mor

Donal Mor Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend LDH

People buy 'Legacy Token Codes' from the Origin store. They are redeemable for green soulstones.

13. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable

you can work on your skills and wait till you qualify for a veteran reward (one year) , purchase one from a player (around 10 mil) or if you can spare 10 bucks real money the ea store sells em here : https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/...c&LSsiteID=XOXjvX6RuYc-ZjQ9qG5d59aNrSU2gNkA8A

and just a little FYI the vet reward soulstones come as a soulstone and are bound to the account. however the ones ea sells come as tokens that can be traded . be warned tho once someone opens the token and chooses the soulstone it will only work for for whoever opened it . dont buy one thats already opened . you wont be able to use it.

14. Ersahi

Ersahi Visitor

That's good to know. And knowing is half the battle.

Yo Joe.

15. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I would not say zero demand. Players will ordre weapon and even metal armor if you are willing to fill the ordre with their special wishes and they are willing to pay what it cost or bring the mats for it.
    On the other hand, selling weapon on a vendor are hard unless you find a few ones useful for newbies and as second weapon that can't be blessed. I gave up finding out what would sell.