1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Determining Patch Set.....

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Mar 24, 2012.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well, I do not know others, but personally, I think that having the loading of the Classic Client subject to "Determining the Patch Set" every time one loads it, can be a problem.

Sometimes, the client crashes and one needs to go back in game real fast to avoid the worst and losses. Having to wait time because of the "Determining the Patch Set" can be a very bad thing.

I think there should be a button to disable it and get in game real fast bypassing the process.

2. S.P.A

S.P.A Journeyman

Popps,

Put a shortcut to the client.exe on your desktop and you can start the client without seeing the "determining patch set" phase.

This was answered in several threads already, but thanks for starting a new thread on the same topic in case anyone else had not read the other threads or had forgotten.

3. S.P.A

S.P.A Journeyman

By the way, since your memory is worryingly short at the moment, you actually tried to work out how to do this in a previous thread where Ezekial Zane explained how to do it and you couldn't find your client.exe.

Here's your post in the original thread.

Flutter likes this.
  4. popps

popps Always Present

I thought this was a different problem than that which could be bypassed by the client.exe short cut.

I mean, the client.exe short cut can avoid the patching BUT what about using UOAssist ?

If I use the client.exe I just launch the CC but then I got to play without UOAssist. If I launch UOAssist after client.exe, UOAssist tries to bring up another instance of the CC and I am back to square one.

Sure, in an emergency case the client.exe at least allows to go back in game faster, but still, without UOAssist..........

If there was a switch, one could turn it off and get back in game faster WITH UOAssist........

5. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Popps
    Search harder I am sure you can find something else to complain about that hasn't already been covered.
    I've got faith in you!
    Go!

Martyna Zmuir and Chrille like this.
  6. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

All EC players have that same 'determining patch set' to get into game, if you want to use uoa you'll just have to get used to it I think.

Yes sometimes I've crashed and I've been dead when I got back in game. The most I've lost as a result of this is a bag of sending. Are you not making a mountain out of a molehill?

7. popps

popps Always Present

Well, it depends.......

Doesn't it happen at times, that people forgets to insure items or does not have enough gold to cover the cost ? If they get to the corpse too late, items may go "poof"....

Or, when PvPing, getting back too late into the fight to aid one's own party might result in a disastrous ending for one's own party.....

But that is not even the point. Regardless what the reasons might be to want to go back into the game fast, what would be the big deal of having a switch added to the patching ?

If there is a new patch, and one does not have an updated client, one cannot login in the game. BUT, once one has patched and has the current client, even with the patching switch off, one will be able to get in game and play. The purpose being, not to have the patching check any and all times, even when there is no patch to download.........

Would it be usefull to get in game faster ? I think yes. Would it hurt playing the game, I think no.

So why not add it ?

8. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Why continue to beat your head against a wall, people? He's been given a solution, multiple times in fact, yet he chooses to belabor the point regardless - as with nearly all his posts.

Lord Frodo and Flutter like this.
  9. Surgeries

Surgeries Grand Poobah

*Face Palm*

o_O

:next:

Lord Frodo likes this.
  10. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

And this is why we all try to ignore popps.

If ever there was a thread in UHall that I fully supported locking, this one would be it.

11. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

sorry, don't count me in your 'all'. The reason it'd be locked is personal attacks, sad community cometary

I tried to go back a few pages, but my IP keeps dropping out. I think it was Kojak that started a separate thread asking the same thing - using assist to open client.exe instead of whatever it does.

Alternately, The suggested resolve in that thread was to try renaming some files, not sure what the final outcome was. I was going to suggest the same, but I guess that could be looked upon as 'modifying files', or hacking, however simplistic, so probably still against the rules, locking the thread. take your pick.

12. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

I feel bad for the poor people who sincerely try to help him when all he's doing is screwing with them for his own amusement.

13. S.P.A

S.P.A Journeyman

Popps,

If you want UOAssist to behave differently, why don't you write to Tug and ask him?

Writing on this forum won't help one iota.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  14. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

I have to agree, he is very responsive from what I hear. There might be a registry issue with running 2 registered installed copies, one running the default client, the other set to user defined uo.ex. I'm sure he could answer that.

15. popps

popps Always Present

You mean this switch could be implemented by UOAssist rather than the patching process ?

I had no idea........... I thought it would be necessary, for it to work, that such a switch should be added into the UO patching process. But if this is something which could be handled also by UOAssist, then I could try suggesting it as a change to UOAssist........