1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

DEVS: Can you please give us a status report on Vendor Search

Discussion in 'UHall' started by startle, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

It is NOT my intention to begin yet another thread on implementing an in-game Vendor Search system, as that has been hashed and re-hashed, ad nauseum:

September 2012 - Vendor Search Discussion thread.​
    March 2012 - In-Game Vendor Search is overdue thread.​
    November 2010 - Official In-Game Vendor Item Search thread.​
    August 2012 - In Game Vendor/Item Search Engine??? thread.​
    April 2009 - Should EA make vendor search engine? thread.​
    March 2008 - Vendor search needed thread.​

I don't think that there's anything more that needs to be added to all the discussions above, that go back at least 5 years. Mesanna was talking about it at least 2 or 3 years ago.

What I want to know is what has been done at the DEV level? Are you working on it? Have you given up on it?

You should know that I intend to post this question in a new thread each and every week until we can get some sort of commitment or at least some Dev comments on the status of this. So ban me now if you want, because I'm not going away willingly and I do not intend to stop asking for answers from you Devs.

#1 startle, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

They are busy working on a Luna revamp for the masses..duh!

3. Colgarra

Colgarra Journeyman

Long overdue... I'll be watching for some dev input here. Come on, Devs, talk to us about where you are with this! :rant2:

#3 Colgarra, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Seems a good idea to let them finish Publish 81 first.

The focus has been on the armor/weapons revamp which is a pretty big deal in and of itself but other threads have suggested there's still more going into it.

-Galen's player

Xalan Dementia likes this.
  5. Krinkle

Krinkle Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

This should be fairly easy now that they are, and I hate the phrase, 'In the cloud'. They should also have an app that allows anyone to check the search from their preferred device.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  6. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Game Vendor Search is Vaporware, because the 3rd party sites pay for a lot of accounts and purchase a lot of items from EAs online store.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  7. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

They are a drop in the bucket, uo will not miss them

8. startle

Hi Galen,
    As/per the original post - I completely understand that they're busy now and I don't expect them to drop what they're doing for sure.. I'm not nagging them to get on it, I'm simply asking them to tell us IF they have or have not worked on it, and what the status of it is... After years of asking for this and they themselves stating that it is high on their list, I don't think it's too much to ask for them to at least give us a credible update on its status...

#8 startle, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  9. KLOMP

KLOMP Sage

If they have nothing to say at the moment then they have nothing to say. They're not going to go "Oh man Felonious Monk keeps bumping that thread, our bluff has been called, REVEAL THE SECRETS!"

At most you'll get a generic "on the radar" comment that means nothing.

10. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Perhaps Saturday isn't the best day to start a thread like this? I know the team tend to hang around 7 days per week, but they're not actually supposed to work all those many hours so they'll probably only do vital emergency stuff at the weekend. Or, they might actually play the game at weekends?

11. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Its one thing to hope they read the forum at the weekend. But I think it’s a bit delusional to hope they play the game, Period!

12. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Yet, here you are starting one.

You've been around long enough to know the Dev's never give anything but generic answers unless it's on the top of the heap for an upcoming publish - and unless it's the very next publish, all that means is the answers get somewhat less generic.

Why? What can you possibly hope to accomplish by doing this? The Dev's don't answer challenges, they don't respond to being called out. They don't give anything but the most generic answers.

You've already gotten the best answers you're going to get. Deal with it.

Lord Frodo and kRUXCg7 like this.
  13. Mitzlplik_LS

Mitzlplik_LS Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Fairly easy?

Showing items listed on every vendor on every shard in every location.

Sure,easy enough. :coco:

Even 3rd party sites can`t give real time info and they definately do not show every vendor in every location. Unfortunately I think that an ingame vendor search is a pipe dream and will never happen.

Lord Frodo and Picus of Napa like this.
  14. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Professional Mall Santa and Legendary Piglet
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

1. They seem to have many problems atm which have top priority. Everybody wanted an armor revamp and we will get it soon. This was overdue, too... So lets wait and then....

2. ...let them start the vendor search in Pub 82...

Lord Frodo likes this.
  15. Krinkle

Krinkle Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Its 'fairly easy' because the Devs have access to their own database while the 3rd party sites do not. The 3rd party sites have to collect all data by physically going to the location of the vendor. This is why they will only risk safe locations. As to this will never happen, well, I think it will only be a matter of time. They didn't move, ahem, 'to the cloud', just because its the cool thing to do.

16. Mitzlplik_LS

Mitzlplik_LS Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Code is code,cloud or wherever.
    I`m sure they`ll come up with an easy way to scan millions of objects in real time so we can just order it up anytime we want. They`ll get this done right after they get the pet dye`s rehued correctly.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  17. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If there's one thing I despise, it's the term "in the cloud." People seem to think that "in the cloud" is some magical, mystical term that means something more than it ever meant before. "The cloud" is nothing more than a fancy, schmancy term that means, "On a server designed for greater shared hosting capability." It's still on a server somewhere, and this whole "it's in the cloud, so things should be easier" is a bunch of nonsense. Yes, for general users, things like "Oooh, Apple backs up my songs for me, and if something happens, my songs are in the cloud!" is handy. UO being part of "the cloud" isn't as exciting as people might like it to be. It's still on a server. Communications wise it's probably more reliable because cloud servers tend to be structured in a manner that they don't go down at the drop of a pipe. On the other hand, cloud servers also tend to take on multiple roles and do all kinds of stuff all at the same time. Most of the time, they do this well. But it's no real surprise that moving to the cloud caused lag on an MMO.

Personally, I think the phrase, "It's in the cloud," should be taken out and shot.

Njjj, Lord Frodo and KLOMP like this.
  18. startle

Ready, Aim,....... Damn, bullet went right thru... It's a mirage folks... But you're right, RaDian - it's anything but mystical...

#18 startle, Mar 4, 2013
    RaDian FlGith and kRUXCg7 like this.
  19. deadite

deadite Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend It's My Birthday

Yeah, "in the cloud" means a lot of things nowadays, but in this instance it is a lot more than just shared hosting. Nothing for players to get excited about though, you're right. It's all about turning the server infrastructure into a commodity. Renting processing power for a game like UO does make sense (at least on paper, and under certain assumptions). Hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out... because what it's supposed to come down to is less operating cost for the game. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how that benefits a 15+ year old game with a diminishing playerbase.

But to get on topic, I'll speculate a little and say that one drawback to commoditizing processing power is that they may be hesitant to add any features that are processor intensive (server-side, of course). Complex or inefficient database queries will drive costs up... and Vendor Search seems like it *could* potentially be very heavy.

#19 deadite, Mar 4, 2013
  20. startle

Once again, as in my original post here, all I am asking for is an update/acknowledgement/whatever on where the Dev's are on this issue. Not whether or not it's wanted or needed (although the vast majority of people here want it and say it's needed - if you simply follow the links in the original post for mass input on this issue) but simply some sort of input from the Dev's as to it's "STATUS", and IF we can expect it in the future - some sort of general timetable as to when it might happen... That's all.

21. Colgarra

Colgarra Journeyman

Still no response... wow... Not even a none of your business, no response from Dev's at all... I think they're afraid to answer this one...

22. startle

Ok, perhaps you're right... But then, it's Thursday now and not a peep...

23. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

24. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I would expect the response to be the same as a lot of others "It's on the list of things to do".

Lord Frodo likes this.
  25. startle

It's "been on the list" for at least 4 years now. After all this time, I think we deserve some sort of time frame..

DJAd likes this.
  26. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I totally agree. I was hoping for vendor search before the armour revamp. They teased it at the 15th anniversary party again but not another word since.

Lyconis likes this.
  27. allie_oops

allie_oops Adventurer

This would have to rank as one of the worst uses of our small developers time ever possible. Hopefully they realized that too, and that's why it was put on the back burner.

Just think about this logically, we have what? 6 developers? Who are trying to keep a 15 year old game moving forward. Vendor Searching done by the US company that doesn't spam general chat covers luna, tokuno, new mag, and as of right now any mall anywhere in Britannia that submits a rune. Judging by their news they have found a way to index all vendors outside of Luna, and from speaking to someone fairly close to the operation they're just proofing the bugs out before going live with that.

Now I do understand the idea that BUT THEY ARE NOT THE DEVELOPERS!!! HOW DARE ANYONE BUT OUR SIX DEVELOPERS DO SOMETHING THAT BENEFITS THIS GAME AND OFFER IT FOR FREE ! . I understand that mindset, and for anyone who suffers from that mindset, I offer you cookies of understanding. +1 insight. -1 drooling.

Something that does need to be improved upon would be the update speeds as mentioned above, and I agree. Hopefully they are working on that, or will read this and kick the bug testing into overdrive to get the full shard scanning live.

But to come full circle, everyone knows about the US site, they've been helping UO for nearly a decade once the new owners took over. EA I'm sure understands that "these guys sell gold, and gosh darn that's bad" but what you don't see is them dropping books, or spamming general chat.

If we are this small understaffed game, and our devs as ambitiously trying to balance armor and weapons and actually things that are only within their control, then why oh why stratics posters would you not want them focused on that?

Stratics makes money off ads you know? Does that make it wrong that they're hosting these forums? The devs dont run these forums, for the sake of convenience and the foresight of outsourcing they have utilized what Stratics can offer.

Please continue to focus on game mechanics that will get us more players, and retain the ones we have. Do not reinvent the wheel for the sake of doing so.

I'll field replies and rants until I get sleeeepy :flame:

Best

Winker likes this.
  28. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

So the players have been asking for it / talking about it and that makes it auto go to thier "list" of things to do. Was Mesanna running UO 2-3 years ago.? You have been playing UO for how long and you think just because you make a thread that the DEVs are just gonna drop every thing and jump right on this. Don't hold your breath because you will pass out and start breathing anyway. Would really love to see this post from 4 years ago from the person that was running UO at the time.

29. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Did EA sell UO or better yet who did EA buy it from 10 years ago. UUMMMM

NEWS FLASH UO HAS NEW OWNERS
    :danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb: :danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb:

30. Petra Fyde

Stratics isn't breaking EA's ToS to gather data.
    Stratics adverts don't break the fansite agreement we signed.

Unless/until the site you are referring to ceases to use unapproved 3rd party programs for its data gathering the ban on its being promoted on Stratics stands.

31. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

New Luna will look kind of like New Magincia, but the plots will be smaller:

[​IMG]

/jk

CovenantX and Lord Frodo like this.
  32. allie_oops

allie_oops Adventurer

You must have intentionally misread what I said so you can utilize the dancing broccoli ? Carry on.

Petra Fyde,
    The US search site isn't a fansite, so it wouldn't have to abide by the agreement, ya know? Gathering data for commercial purposes would be against the TOS, but I think offering a free vendor search would not be for commercial purposes. Using the word Gather could be inaccurate, what if it was on a live feed and it was just reading data?

And most importantly, and I genuinely hope to clarify this misconception among the stratics masses:

"Unless/until the site you are referring to ceases to use unapproved 3rd party programs for its data gathering the ban on its being promoted on Stratics stands."

Broad statements of unapproved "3rd party" programs are fairly meaningless, and if that's the legalese you believe to warrant not speaking about the site that 90% of the uo community uses, you may be shocked to know that the data stream can be accessed, and read, directly through the the new 3d/KR/ThirdDawn/etc client. Which I beleive to be an approved program?

I'm sure EA is aware of that, and therefor you are just (unintentionally) accusing that site of using 3rd party applications. It's an unfair position for a moderator to take, as I'm sure you did not know that all of this information can be gleamed directly through the new client like a sieve.

If you have any questions regarding this Petra, please PM me, no disrespect intended, I think the stance you (Stratics) have on that site in particular is misguided, antiquated and ill informed.

Best

Winker likes this.
  33. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

:facepalm: That is funny because that site not only lists how much the item is in GOLD but it allows you to add it to a cart for RL $$$ so please tell us how this is not for commercial pupoposes that whole site is about making RL $$$

34. allie_oops

allie_oops Adventurer

I by no means want to assume you have a hard time grasping concepts of commerce. I want to think that this is just the second oversight, maybe not enough coffee... it is friday after all?

With that said, I'm going to explain this very cleanly, and plainly for you.

The search engine can be used for free, entirely. You do not need to pay, you do not need to purchase services, you don't have to click Ads, and they do not make any money from Ads. Therefor the site is entirely free to use, in it's full capacity. There is no "Upgrade Program" , there is no "Grand Lord Poomba Status" that gets your vendor indexed faster.

As I said above, the site is entirely free to use. The marketplace where you can sell your items without a vendor for gold, the imbuing calculator, the party tool, etc... it's all free 100% for use?

While I would most definitely agree Search wants to make money, I would go as far as to say that Stratics does as well(I know shocking that businesses need money) I think EA likes money, I'm sure if I handed you $5 for being the prettiest girl in the dance you wouldn't object.

I think we're on the same page now, in the fact that :

1) The site does not make any money from visitors by:
    a) Ad clicks or impressions
    b) Using the search engine
    c) listing vendors
    d) posting on the marketplace
    e) using any of the tools

The only way to make the company money is to purchase services and goods from the company. Which is an entirely optional choice?

If you are having any other issues with comprehending this, I'd be happy to address.

Best

Winker likes this.
  35. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

:facepalm: LOL You are so clueless. I give free advice to my customers and believe me I am it to make money and that means I am in it for commercial pupoposes. If that site was only there for the search part then you would be right but the min. RL $$$ is put on there then in fact they are in it for commercial pupoposes. This is not a free advice site, it is a site that sells stuff and also gives free advice.

36. allie_oops

allie_oops Adventurer

I think you should stick to the dancing broccoli, I feel that you accurately summarized your comprehension. The fact a site has an optional commercial component to it's entirely free primary function is lost on you.

Don't feel bad though, you definitely use neater post imagery then I ever could. Kudos.

37. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

:hahaha: LOL The main purpose of your site is to sell UO items for real money, please stop trying to BS anybody.:next:

38. allie_oops

allie_oops Adventurer

If you can please contact the owners and have them send me the website that would be a fantastic gift for the continued enlightenment given to less developed minds. You've done your best at building a complete thought, and that's all that counts. I'm proud of you. If more people would just take a step back and think big picture our game would be in such a better spot. Heaven forbid someone poses a logical argument. Hey look ! Post icons to substitute for substance , check this one out! :grouphug: and WAMO this one :pirate:

39. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I am guessing this thread will be locked soon and the status quo will remain.

40. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

And more utter BS. Go back to you RMT site. You will never be an approved fansite or get into bed with EA no matter how much BS you try to sling of what a great service you provide to UO. I am sure you are just here trying drum up more sells.

41. allie_oops

allie_oops Adventurer

Frodo, you are sounding angry. I understand that since we are on different sides of a topic, and that you have been unable to contend with my logic, that I must think this is a ridiculous waste of developer time because I own Search :pancakes: I don't like to attack people, I think it's tasteless and simple, but you for whatever reason are just slandering me because you can't carry a disagreement. While I hope your assumption helps you sleep at night, I assure you it's plainly inaccurate. I think it's important for people to logically debate especially when it 's the equivalent of reinventing the wheel. We understand which side of the fence you stand on. So if you have nothing to add, please return to whatever you were doing previously.

To be fair I would not own an approved fan site, and if I owned Search I'd use a subscription model. I think they do some asinine things as well, it's not just you I'm critical of dear Frodo.

I hope sleep refreshes your mind.

Best

42. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Sigh. So you're upset that the devs "ignore" the threads asking for updates. And the best you can come up with is to make a thread asking for updates? Not only that, but trying to make some kind of ridiculous threat of making a post per week on the same topic? What in the blue hell is giving you the impression that any of this is a logical idea?

We have a bug list a mile long. We have game systems that are years overdue for reworks. We have new content to add to keep our current players busy. Your vendor search is not a top priority, and the simple fact is; it's not necessary. Would it be nice to have? Sure, of course it would. Can we live without it as we have for 15 years? Well, I can, but apparently you can't?

You can shop in game. You can ask in chat or at the banks. You can post on the trade forums. These are all easy and legal options. The game is not going to die if we don't get a vendor search function.

The bottom line is, don't act like a spoiled child. The devs don't owe you an ETA, or an update, or indeed anything at all. In fact, supposing they did respond to your asinine post, I've no doubt their proposition would be met with sarcasm, cynicism, flat out mockery, and generally childlike behavior such as you have finely displayed. Sorry, but if I were a dev, I wouldn't respond to you either.

JUST SAYIN

Lord Frodo and hen like this.
  43. Petra Fyde

I think it's time to close this.

I'll concede that my knowledge of how data is gathered may be incomplete, though I totally refute the claim that 90% of players use the unapproved 3rd party program. That site would still be persona non grata on Stratics because of its RMT. This from our rules of conduct:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.