1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Devs,why so much work for worthless items?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Der Rock, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Der Rock

Der Rock Guest

creating so much and nice items in the SA expansion, i think it takes some expensive artist time.
    the expansion is still new, and many items are droppend on the ground or stays in vendors for a handfull of gold.
    that canĀ“t be the intension of grafic artists.
    if the hype for NEW items is gone a couple of weeks after release,then i think something went wrong here.
    player love to have items,but if items are worthless,then there is NO motivation for collectors

WHY :sad3:

2. Fink

Fink Guest

To what worthless items are you referring? Examples?

Not everything the devils create will be sought-after by the players, and often it's difficult to predict collectables. Remember The Incredibles: if everything is uber, nothing is.

3. Der Rock

Der Rock Guest

for example,many new stealables are to low leveled,they spawn so often, they will be droped on the ground soon :(

i miss, level 9,10,11, AND 12 stealables in SA

4. Tazar

Tazar Guest

The arty weapons seem to drop quite a bit, but I think this is intended for unraveling to obtain relic fragments.

5. Fink

Fink Guest

Perhaps they will add more at some point. :spider:

They've come under criticism for making things too scarce at times, such as the academic books. Maybe this is a round of easy pickings for the expansion launch, and there will be more long-term items as people settle in.

6. mjolnir131

mjolnir131 Guest

they have said we have missed a few areas so maybe they are there

7. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

The rarities of the items were hardly a secret ... they're right there on the items. It's a little late to express surprise that's going to be work to keep the market cornered.

8. Fink

Fink Guest

This is true. I've managed to snag the academic books quite a few times now. I don't mean to exclude anyone else; I just want my maker's mark on some nice bookcases.

I've never really cared for the rarity of items per se. I like that we have access to more art through the availability of them. eg: owning a server birth rare would only interest me if I liked the look of it. I really don't care who doesn't have it, as long as I can enjoy it too I'm happy.

9. So true... I would like a pile of horse dung to put in my mock stables, but as far as being rare, I couldn't care less.

10. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Alot of the artifacts are using art thats been in UO for a while, The multiple bottles stuck together etc. Then the new art such as the vases are used for world decoration, so again were already ingame. So it isn't that much 'wasted time'.

11. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

all i know is that the less rare things are the better the chances of everyone getting to enjoy them.

12. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I steal and keep them anyway for the turn in for the Fall Cleanup (wink wink to the devs)

13. Cerwin Vega

Cerwin Vega Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

80% of the items from the puzzle quest get dropped on the ground.

14. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

What bank are you finding things at, I'd like some of the new items without the cost I see on vendors!

15. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

IMHO I think its the rarity of some things that has kept UO alive for so long. Its the need for peaple to preserve items they got way back in 99 (or whatever) that won`t come along again. I think any smart game company should have a rares market. It makes peaple want to overcome thier boredom and keep playing even if its only for sentimental reasons. Games need a hook to keep ya payin/playin. Why would any game company make something anyone could walk away from without a second thought.

I think UO would be a very different place (or non existant) without rare`s and the peaple who covet them.

I say Thanks! :D

We need MORE rares and alot more real rare stuff.

16. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It was my understanding that the stealables were, more or less, primarily for decoration. Much like the ones in doom. At first they were horded, now they are not horded.

There will always be people who will want them in their houses at one point or another. So I wouldn't go so far as to say they are worthless. Now the high-end stealables, levels 10 and up, those will be collectibles more than just decoration.

17. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

well, it's an interesting point, but i dunno if anything is truly rare with duping.

18. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Aye the WHOLE South western portion of the girlgoyles land was not even finished for release.:thumbsup: There is plenty not explored yet. Perhaps an over land champ?