1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Dexterity and Lockpicking, Stealing and Snooping....

Discussion in 'UO Crime' started by popps, May 15, 2014.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

How does dexterity effects success rate for Lockpicking, Stealing and Snooping ?

I recently dusted off these Rogue skills from Soulstones and, for some reasons, I put them on a character that was formerly a spellcaster with currently (with items' bonuses) 120 strength, 135 intelligence and only 15 dexterity.

Question is, do I need to re-arrange the stats as 15 dexterity will indeed affect my rogue skills success rate (in such a case what level of dexterity is required not to penalize Rogue skills success rate ?) or I can leave them as they are and not worry about it ?

Thanks !

2. Neverborn

Neverborn Visitor

that is a fantastic question

3. pacific cruiser

pacific cruiser Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

my mage thief is at 20 dex and has 0 problems stealing anything 1st try my smugglers edge thief is at 150 and has 0 problems stealing anything 1st try also

4. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The qustion is not whether one can "eventually" land a steal or two or pick a lock after XXX attempts ..... the question is whether having more dexterity will get one to make "better" steals (rarer items from monsters ?) or pick a chest's lock eariler thus avoiding destruction of items inside....

So, there are good reasons, IMHO, to know whether or not dexterity factors in with a better enjoyment of stealing, lockpicking and snooping.....

Anyone knows or should we ask the Developers about this ?

5. the_gooch

the_gooch Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Answer: No

6. pacific cruiser

pacific cruiser Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Popps there is one main difference and I believe Petra had told you this in her earlier post about this same subject. using a smugglers edge is way more proficient in getting the lotions ,potions and balms along with getting the smugglers lantern and the smugglers toolbox which gives you 10 lockpicks per week. this is due to 1 reason only. This is using the weapon you actually kill the target while auto stealing .while doing this using just a thief you only can steal from a monster 1 time only thus after stealing you have to kill it to make sure you don't waste time and try to steal from it again. in stealing from the tokuno spawn you will see not using the smugglers edge there can be confusing to do without killing the target you just stole from.as far as you other question about exploding the chest I agree with Gooch the answer is NO you will fail sometimes and yes the grubber will take some items but in most cases you kill it and guess what.... you get the item back.dont confuse t-maps with the stealing from mobs at spawns. they are 2 entirely different things to do. with t-maps I have a toon set up for just doing those . if you need more info plz message me and I will be glad to help you out with any questions you might have. I also am in the process of learning how to make videos and post them to be able to help others out in making it more simple to do these :)An yes allways ask the devolupers because they are they one that truly know the truth....

#6 pacific cruiser, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  7. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

some people dont like getting no for an answer :)