1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Do FinCEN Regulations Mean EA or Broadsword Will Likely Never Sell UO Gold?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tina Small, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

May 12, 2008
    Has anyone really studied this issue much? I know we frequently see people bring up the idea that if EA or Broadsword would actually sell UO gold somehow, they would probably make some good money to help keep UO afloat. However, it looks like the process to be able to do that may be pretty onerous and probably not a worthwhile investment of capital for such an old game.

Thoughts, anyone?
  2. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

Sep 13, 2010
    I don't think UO, like most MMOs would fall under this poorly defined law. Linden Labs might, since they have a fluctuating "currency exchange" system in their online sex shop virtual world and people can use said currency to pay for services.

I highly doubt EA/BS ever will sell gold as it would completely destroy the fragile pretense of a functional UO economy. If they did, it would likely be a brand new "premium currency" for an in-game shop, which is unlikely to fall under the law.